• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Exotic Coating Service

Tim W

Enlightened
I would like to send in a McGizmo Haiku.

I DO NOT want the body OR clip polished.

I would want the everything plated in Al-Ti-Nitride.
I'm guessing that the cost would be $41 for this.

Pictures posted later in thread.

Please confirm, and let me know where/when to send parts.

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:

supasizefries

Enlightened
Hi Jonathon, I'm interested in possibly getting 2 of my lights chrome plated. The first is this:

pict9761.jpg

It's one of Mac's EDC sst-50's in machined bare aluminum. Is it necessary to mirror polish this light for chrome plating? I'd like to preserve as much of Mac's machine work as much as possible.

The second light is my Lummi Raw NS (nickel silver). I'd also like to have this chrome plated as well.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm guessing the threads will have to be "deplated" to clean up the electrical path?

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
Is HA red a possibility, slightly brighter than the standard Mag red to match the red that FM does?

Cheers,
Nova

Phredd

Enlightened
I can't find a way to PM modamag. Does anyone know where to send our stuff? Can someone send me a PM with his contact info?

Thanks,
Phredd

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jonathan

I sent my light as per PM to DATA (Dave) to take it apart and send it to you for gold plating weeks ago. He did not send it yet! He told me that he still waits for your request the light, which confused me. Anyway, I told him to go ahead and send the SPY 005 to you. I will also send 2 more lights below tomorrow.
Kindly let DATA know that you are ready for the my light.
Thanks,
Tanasit
P1070446Medium.jpg

Last edited:

ivanchek

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys.
Does anyone know if a AlTiN coating will transmit part of the shade of colour behind it. I was thinking of having a Ti body and head glass bead blasted (produces a lighter gun-metal satin colour) and having the bezel and clip sand blasted (produces a slightly darker colour). My question is will these shades still come through after the coating?
Thanks.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
All sorry for the late checkin.
India have now been demoted to my 2nd least favorite place to visit in the world due to the beauracracy involved.
I wasted four days bribing officials with no avail. Almost got thrown into jail over there ... anyway

I'm ready to receive parts. My PM have been reactivated.
Expect a PM from e with the address by the end of the day. If you did not receive one just send a PM to ask!

iconoclast: From my vague memory the current process is at 900*, and the aluminum one is 500-600.
ejot: That fin should be fine, knurling are much finer and they do OK.
sylathnie: LD01 is probably USM, TiN is ok no HA. Disassembly is a pain though. ... writeup ?!
donn: heat anodized? wat's that! I think recoat is fine.
ivanchek: BB AlTiN was done previously and it leave a beautiful finish. However the light can only be shelf queen since any oil (fr hands) leaves marks. So that's why I'm not doing it this time.
ubetit; It's not worth the cost to do the reflector. U're better off buying one of Don's.
RocketTomato: You will get chips on the coating when you screw them together during anodization. It's not recommended.
olrac: I'm going for the Audi looks.
LuxLuthor: If you guys prefer masking, I will do so on request. It will additional cost (which somewhat is subsidized by the post machine ops).
QtrHorse: lye - see machining section. lathe work facing.
DaFABRICATA: Orange is a go! I have motorcycle parts that I need to match. If you guys don't mind type II we can get them BRIGHT!
Ty4752: Drake tolerance is too tight. Can't be redone.
sebast: Please ask him to ship it unassemble. Easier for al.
Tim W: Looks good.
supasizefries: Cleanup is necessary
^^Nova^^: sory no red
ivanchek: no transmission of color but surface finish is 100%

ivanchek

Newly Enlightened
Can you suggest a strong coating for Ti that will have a blackish matt colour and yet resist oil marks? If bare Ti is coated with any of the harder Ti and SS coatings, will it come out with a shinny surface?
Thanks.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we pay extra, we can have you mask the contact parts and no clean up will need to be done after we receive the items back?

Is type II the same type of coating that is on stock Mag lights? If it is, I'm a go one some bright orange parts.

Will orange be the only extra color available?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor: If you guys prefer masking, I will do so on request. It will additional cost (which somewhat is subsidized by the post machine ops).

Modamag,

I understood the question as "if threads need to be free of ano/coating..... how will that be accomplished"

Am I correct?

I am going on the presumption that after coating the light will work - and not be just a beautiful shelf queen :devil:

Bright orange, hmmmmm not THAT has me thinking Surefire....

Last edited:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
ivanchek: AlTiN
QtrHorse: Yes, I can mask. Lets keep it simple, bright orange is the only TypeII available. TypeIII (HA) remains unchange.
nfetterly: definitely no shelf queen, lumen kings they shall be.
donn: NP, chrome or gold. HA require stripping/polishing.

Last edited:

Tim W

Enlightened
Two final questions before I pack up and send the Haiku.

First, for the AlTiN how much difference in the final appearance is there between polished and not polished. I would assume that polishing gives a bit more gloss to the finish, but do you lose the finely machined finish?

Second, what is peoples opinion on a two tone look with the body and head in AlTiN, and the clip and screws( or possibly just the clip) in TiN? Anybody have a picture of something like this?

Thanks,
Tim

ejot

Enlightened
This is perfect timing/news on two counts: I'm out of the country for a month starting Monday, and was just getting ready to send two G2L bezels to another shop for bright orange TII anodize @ an outrageous price!! :thumbsdow
This makes my life so much easier. :thanks::clap:

A few further questions:

- Is it possible to mask interior threads as well as exterior threads? Is masking possible for the all coatings or just HA?
- Is masking typically recommended for chrome plating as well, or is there sufficient electrical contact between substrate and all plating layers for masking to be unnecessary?
**edit: I found the answer to this in the thread for the last run - no masking or cleanup required for plated lights**

Many cheers!
-Evan

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should we put the pictures of the lights we're sending to you in this thread, or are you going to start one dedicated to that?

Edit; Found the answer....post 2

Last edited:

supasizefries

Enlightened
I had another question: Will chrome plating interfere with pre-machined empty trit slots?

Edit: Also any idea how thick does the chrome plating end up being?

Last edited: