Fenix PD35 "TAC" 2015 (XP-L V5, 1x18650 or 2xCR123A) Review

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my PD35 TAC today
Compared to my PD35 (year 2013 - 850 lumens) it looks much brighter
It looks beautiful but they are perplexed the metal button (button that changes the levels) has a slight lateral movement, I wonder if this is normal.
Can anyone answer this?
The torch seems bright but has a slight donut hole at the center of the spot, are undecided whether to return it.
Thanks

Tonight I tried the flashlight a long time.
The donut hole is visible only using the flashlight on a white wall (at home) using the torch outside everything is all right.
The tint is better than my old PD35 that has a little greenish.
In the darkness the metal button that changes the brightness levels can not be found easily, maybe it was better if it was higher but I do not think this is a big problem, for my use the tactic interface is perfect
I like the dual interface, I think Fenix did a good upgrade, but I would like a PD35 with neutral tint!
I made a little video where I compared the two torches, it becomes interesting only after the 04:30 minute

PD35 TAC XP-L vs PD35 XM-L2 850 lumens (year 2013)

Last edited:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks beautiful but they are perplexed the metal button (button that changes the levels) has a slight lateral movement, I wonder if this is normal.
Can anyone answer this?
The torch seems bright but has a slight donut hole at the center of the spot, are undecided whether to return it.
Thanks

Mine also has a slightly lateral movement on the side button. The donut hole can be seen on the white wall at a close distance.

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
am now through experimenting 2x power source with the TAC. Now have a fresh Keeppower 3500mah 10amp GA in it. With the GA power source the light does not get as hot as on 2x sources yet seems just as searingly bright. Battery life is MUCH greater on the GA cell. .....................
Please take a look to bellow link (pictures are not edited, camera on manual mode with fix settings), PD35 TAC with fresh 18650 (IMR Efest purple 3100 mAh) and with 2x18350 (Efest red, both cells at 3,7V).
There is a noticeable diference...I think 1200 lumens on 2x18350 configuration for sure...this is also what my eyes see.

For me is one of the best EDC lights because of the 4th level, 500+constant lumens, this is what I want to see from many other EC lights, a good constant amount of light.

800-900-1000 lumens are just for impresion to this lights...not so usable

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/ra... 18350vs18650_zpshjsf4rxt.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I clicked your link Octavian. The photos show a TK75 standing on its head. I will take your word for it and give the 2x18350 red Efest a shot.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please take a look to bellow link (pictures are not edited, camera on manual mode with fix settings), PD35 TAC with fresh 18650 (IMR Efest purple 3100 mAh) and with 2x18350 (Efest red, both cells at 3,7V).
There is a noticeable diference...I think 1200 lumens on 2x18350 configuration for sure...this is also what my eyes see.

For me is one of the best EDC lights because of the 4th level, 500+constant lumens, this is what I want to see from many other EC lights, a good constant amount of light.

800-900-1000 lumens are just for impresion to this lights...not so usable

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/ra... 18350vs18650_zpshjsf4rxt.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

If I understand properly 3.7V is a storage voltage for Li-Ion batteries. Fully charged is 4.2V.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh the wall okay. Took another look and do not see much difference but am going to get a pair of the red efest 18350's anyway. Are these efest cells protected or flat tops?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot seem to find these cells. Illumn is sold out of them. Oh in an effort to make my TAC tailstand I switched the rubber boot with one from the new Armytek lights. It almost worked. Switch action is alot better though.

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
When you succeed to make it tailstand, please explain the procedures :) I will send you some beers (for me is a huge minus) .

Regarding IMRs 18350, Efest reds indeed I don't think they produce any more, but you can find Efest Purple 18350 700mAh button top.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the red flat top efests! In order to make the TAC tailstand I am going to have to use the short rubber boot I took out of my 2016 PD32 which would make the switch far to stiff. I am happy with the AT boot on it though it is an improvement oh the stock boot.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Octavian my red unprotected flat top efest 18350's will be here on Monday. Cannot wait. Have many lights to try them out in.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I got the red efests and tried them out in the TAC. Very noticeable increase in output! It also got to hot to hold in like 30 seconds so I took the red efests out. Chose another candidate for them carefully and put them in my XB-H Predator and the increase in max output is well over 100 lumens. The visual difference from the GA cell I had in it to these is very clear. I bought 6 more of these cells

4g63

Newly Enlightened
This is a great review. I'm considering getting this light and when I saw this thread it definitely made the decision easier! Thanks to all who posted!

Fulaeetoy

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone confirm that the low voltage warning indicator works on 2x RCR 16340?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
nope. The TAC technically is not meant to take 16340's. From what I could dig up it only works on 18650's and 2xCR123 sources. I tried 2x16340's in the TAC and although there was an output increase the light got scalding hot in seconds. The lights low voltage sensor is not meant to work with 2x16340's.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Damn fine review! I am gonna go order one of these right now, as I recently lost my beloved PD31.

My main gripe with many on the Fenix lights is the reverse-clicky that they so often use. I love the forward-clicky UI on this PD35 TAC.

Thanks again for taking the time to compile and post this review. Well done!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had the TAC since its release and no matter the power source it is utterly blinding on max. Maybe its me but it is literally hard to look at on max in some situations. The new PD32 is the the bees knees though