FieldTest on Zebralight Q5

bendlite

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone else taken this headlight on an extensive testing experience? What has your experience been?

Patsplace

Newly Enlightened
Great review!! Thanks very much. It answered all my "real world use" questions to a "T".

On the other thread where you mentioned that you would be writing a review, I noticed your post right after I ordered my H50-Q5, zoomed over and read your review. Isn't it nice when you buy something and then read the review and the review is glowing.

Gotta love it!!

Regards,
Pat

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done. Have to say that I had been procrastinating on getting a couple of Zebralights (H50 and H30) and this review just tipped the balance. Now I can't wait. Good review; good peoples.:thumbsup:

Cheers.

Talas

Newly Enlightened
Sorry so late, but I just discovered this review now and all I can say is WOW, that's one of the all-time best reviews EVER! Real-world, practical; a run-time and beam quality test that... albeit subjective... tells me more about the usability of this light than any lab-inspired light meter and white wall test! Refreshing in that there is no armchair commando tactical scenarios or brand bashing/advocating. You could write professionally! Your descriptions make for colorful and compelling reading. The icing on the cake is that you did this while performing truly meaningful humanitarian work! My hat is off to you!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a really great review!

It shows that it doesn't take fancy equipment or photo skills to create a review that is really useful. I hope other people are inspired to write reviews of lights based on their real world experiences.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Well this settles it. The ZL 50 is now on my list! I've been wanting a good headlamp.

I'm assuming you were using this as a headlamp most of the time but it also sound like you stood it in a room a lot too?

Where is the best place to buy this?

Last edited:

Sharpy_swe

Enlightened
Thanks for a great review :)

Real-world experiences is always very interesting to read.

You and your wife has my deepest respect, it's wonderful to read about your aid work!

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
First, kudos on an awesome review, and international volunteerism. As an often couch bound light enthusiast who imagines using my lights in exotic and remote places, it's nice to hear that they can perform when needed.

I have noticed the 'motor oil' smell, and wiped what I could off the threads with a Kleenex, and used Nyogel instead. Should slick things up a bit. Is there a better method to clean threads of old oil/gunk? I have a few lights that are due.

I think this light could be a huge success if the right brick and mortar retailers decided to carry it (Zebralight - spend some money on N. American retail friendly packaging!). I could see it becoming the new default ultralight hiking light to replace the Petzl lineup.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I too was motivated to get hold of the Zebralight H50 after reading your review - which is possibly one of the best I've seen posted on CPF photonhoer.

It arrived to today and all I can say is wow! What a great little torch. So tiny, interestingly designed, beautifully built, thoughtfully packaged with accessories, useful and interesting. Phew I've nearly run out of adjectives. I noticed a slight motor oil smell, but I immediately clean all my new lights with isopropanol and lube them with silicone, so i's not really an issue.

This light is a real sleeper, seemed to come out of nowhere and impress the hell out everybody! Good to see zebra not resting on their laurels, and pushing things forward with the H30. I'd love to see an H50 variant with a 70 degree LED at the top of the torch.

This one's going into my pocket and staying there for some time!

josean

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight H50: The perfect setup

I just received my Zebralight H50 and I like it a lot.

The accesories are very useful. If you put the clip inverted, you can place the light on your belt. This way, you can twist the tailcap switch using just one hand.

This is a great light, well finished and with an excelent regulation, but I find the beam too wide open. I think that the new H30 design is a great improvement over this one, since the beam is a bit narrower and the lens is less exposed. Anyway, since I only use NiMH AA/AAA batteries, the H30 was not an option for me.

Sevy

Newly Enlightened
Hi Josean,

That's how I use my light too. Very useful light!
My only fear is to break the rubber band that maintains the clip, but up to now it's all well.

I couldn't imagine how useful this little light could be until I actually used it. :thumbsup:

Sevy

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight H50: The perfect setup

I think that the new H30 design is a great improvement over this one, since the beam is a bit narrower and the lens is less exposed. Anyway, since I only use NiMH AA/AAA batteries, the H30 was not an option for me.

Josean, I'm pretty sure that Zebralight will shortly be releasing the H501, which will essentially be the AA version of the H30.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight tells me that the AA clicky version, called the H501, will be released in 4-5 months. They are working on "several" handheld flashlights before the release of the H501.

Considering how well-received the headlights have been, I am looking forward to their other offerings.

I would prefer the H501 to the H50, but don't think I can cool my jets that long, so I'll probably order the H50.

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
An UPDATE after several months: Two of these little devils didn't seem enough - one for my wife, one on my bedside table for middle of the night reading when we are not traveling, but I wanted one for my pocket.

So, I ordered a third Zebralight - and after it arrived I felt that the threads on the end cap to turn it on and off were a little rough. So I cleaned them and lubricated them, but still it was "stiff". Ocular examination "revealed" that there were burrs on the threads inside the cap.

One email to Zebralight got the following response:
"Please send the defective lamp only (without all accessories) to ZebraLight. We will send you the replacement this week. Sorry about the problem."

Lo and behold, 2 week later I received a new light, and the threads are butter smooth. These guys are great!!

[For the record, I have no relationship with nor any compensation whatsoever from Zebralight. They just build a TERRIFIC product.]

Latest posts