FieldTest on Zebralight Q5

Mikellen

Enlightened
I just ordered the H50 from 4 Sevens. Does anyone know if the H50 can be placed on its side with the emitter facing up without the flashlight rolling over?
Also I just noticed a few posts back that Zebralight is suppose to come out with the clicky version called H501. This was stated to be released 4 or 5 months from the date of the post (April 08). Since now it is almost December, has anyone heard if the newer version is going to be released soon? I'm wondering if I should have waited instead of purchasing the H50 now.
Thanks to any replies.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I just ordered the H50 from 4 Sevens. Does anyone know if the H50 can be placed on its side with the emitter facing up without the flashlight rolling over?
Also I just noticed a few posts back that Zebralight is suppose to come out with the clicky version called H501. This was stated to be released 4 or 5 months from the date of the post (April 08). Since now it is almost December, has anyone heard if the newer version is going to be released soon? I'm wondering if I should have waited instead of purchasing the H50 now.
Thanks to any replies.
That H501 isn't going to be released until you, me, and everyone here on CPF buys the alternative lights to the H501, because we're sick to death of waiting for Zebralight to get off their a** and release a product they've probably got sitting on the shelf and they won't let go of it until the day after everyone here has bought something else. :shakehead :poke: :D

Sad but true. :ohgeez:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have been wanting a perfect reading headlamp. Seems that this H50 might be just what the Doc ordered!

When one of these hits the end of runtime on high, does it switch modes, dim slowly or go out like a breaker was thrown?

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
Well, guys and gals,

It's been a year since we did a major trip to Guyana during which we initially tested the ZebraLight H-50. Since then we've been in Guatemala doing essentially the same thing (medical exams and daily living off the grid), and all over the US and Canada.

I guess this is my effort at a longevity report -- after just over a year of constant use the ZebraLight is unfailing. The light and accessories (including all 3 lights that we use regularly) are working flawlessly, giving us more than anything else freedom from the "tunnel of light" effect that is so annoying in most other lights. These babies wear so well that it is really surprising to me that other manufacturers have not also recognized that there is a major market for "work-in-the-dark" light as well as "probe-the-darkness" light. The headbands still have stretch, the silicone pieces glow in the dark, and EVERYTHING WORKS. What a wonderful thing to be able to say!!!

I have no interest at all in ZebraLight -- except that they make a wonderfully useful light for our purposes.

Season' s Greetings,

John

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the follow-up report. It is a great, very useful piece of info that is often missing from other reviews. Mine is working fine also after about a year, although it should since it gets used much less than yours. I was just using it up in the attic - it is a great tool.

Thanks also for doing the work you are doing - this world needs more like you.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Add a piece of semi useless info here.

I did get an H30 Q5 from a member on CPFM and it is everything I could hope for except for one little detail.

It does in fact go out like a fuse blew when the battery will no longer support the light.

It's really easy to have a fresh primary easily gotten to and to change it however. And it runs WAY longer than my Rayovac 1AA!!!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Off-Topic, but i can't help it . . . .

Happy Birthday yesterday to PlayboyJoeShmoe !

:party:

BTW, you were born exactly one year after my "baby" brother.

He turned the big 5-0 yesterday !

:)

_

agua bendita

Banned
I just received the Zebra Light H50-Q5 Headlamp from Zerbra Light (http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=183).

Costs $49.00 + $5.00 (shipping). There is a special upgrade during the month of February for EMS Shipping for the same price.

From ordering the light and receiving the light it took 17 days.

The fit is good.

The machining is good

The Type III Hard Anodize is excellent.

Uses CREE XLamp XR-E Q5 Bin.

Impact resistant LEXAN polycarbonate lens.

120 degree beam. Very different type beam than I was used to. Very smooth light. No hot spot just a flood light. If you are looking for a beam thower this is not the light to get.

Uses rear twistie. Three levels of light. Low, medium and high. Tailcap Operation sequence: OFF, low, OFF, Medium, OFF, high. If the light is turned off for more than 5.6 seconds, the light level resets to low.

The threads on my light were gritty but a cleaning and lubrication solved that problem.

I also cleaned the back of the Cree module with Deoxit DL100 (Red). There was some black stuff that came off. Coated it with Deoxit G100L (Gold).

RMS

Newly Enlightened
hi there! thanks for the review! we're heading on a similar mission soon. Zebralights sound good. did you have the H50-Q5 or H30-Q5? Thanks!

fareast

Enlightened
Battery Usage: Due to weight, temperature and run-time considerations, we used Energizer AA Lithium L91s exclusively.

hi there! thanks for the review! we're heading on a similar mission soon. Zebralights sound good. did you have the H50-Q5 or H30-Q5? Thanks!

Most likely, seeing the above quote, he was using the H50...:rolleyes:

:welcome:

I recently have gotten me an H60w. If you have not gotten a Zebralight yet, the "W" versions have the Q3-5A emitter which makes for a lovely warm tint. I just love the H60w.

hoaiviet

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if it is kind of off the topic.... but anyone knows or has a link to websites that sell small twist power switch for DIY flashlight?
TIA

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
Roughly 1.5 years since my last report, and 2.5 since the initial one (post #1 this thread):

Three Zebralight H-50s still going strong under constant usage, both at home (great middle-of-the-night reading lights) and on the road in all sorts of climates (frequently near the equator.)

Zero problems, zero maintenance, terrific flood/work lights. One headstrap is starting to lose its stretch. When possible we have been using Eneloops, which are also working great!

John

cy

Flashaholic
my zebralight ... original issue is still going good... that is if I can find it
for some reason it keeps on getting lost

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
Well, we are almost up to 4.5 years of continuous use on our (3) original H-50 Zebralights. Just thought I'd post about the continuing results:

Overall, FLAWLESS. We have used these (3) lights in the dry high desert of Oregon, and in the jungles of Central America. We have traveled with them over at least 4 continents, experiencing absolutely NO problems. We get very long battery life using eneloops and Energizer Lithiums, depending on whether we have access to mains power to recharge.

These are great work lights as well as reading lights. And when I need to traverse in the darkness an area that I have a feeling for, I almost never reach for one of my 'throwers' — which now is a Zebralight SC-51. [If they come out with the rumored SB6330, I will be interested to see what it can do.]

John