Finally finished: Triple Seoul P7 Mag-Lite

malojie

Newly Enlightened
got my kit and got it installed....WOW!!! :faint: this is fantastic piece of kit!! just lights up the whole place ,thanks Der Wichtel for comming up with this amazing kit!!:twothumbs

Rex32

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyway to put a custom end cap on the front of the light and mount the batteries elsewhere for a bike setup?

-Mike

gsx1300rtn

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in building one of these flashlights but i am curious what kind of batteries you guys are running and how long there lasting?

Luke-299

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I am new to this Forum. My Name is Lukas and i am From Austria ;-)

I have a few questions:

- How long does the 18650 battery last on High mode?

- Has anybody tried other cells than 18650?
I know of the 12AA to 4D cell adapter but unless you use "High Capacity" (Which means expensive) AA-NimH Cells the Energy Density is kinda low.

I have trouble to find rechargeable Li-IOn D-Size Batteries.
I dont really trust those China Made "all Black" D-Size Li-Ion's from Kaidomain.

Somewhere else somebody had to mod them for a slow start to prevent them from shutting down because of the Protection Board.

I also don't know if they can handle the high Current.

Has anybody tried them in the triple P7 from Wichtel?

I hope you can help me.

Best regards, Lukas

vigalass

Newly Enlightened
Outstanding innovation. The pictures were amazing. Obviously we're eager to get run time and lumens at the lamp when you have time. You'll probably too busy with all the purchase requests you're getting.

I'm sure i'll be in line soon.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi! I am new to this Forum. My Name is Lukas and i am From Austria ;-)

I have a few questions:

- How long does the 18650 battery last on High mode?

- Has anybody tried other cells than 18650?
I know of the 12AA to 4D cell adapter but unless you use "High Capacity" (Which means expensive) AA-NimH Cells the Energy Density is kinda low.

I have trouble to find rechargeable Li-IOn D-Size Batteries.
I dont really trust those China Made "all Black" D-Size Li-Ion's from Kaidomain.

Somewhere else somebody had to mod them for a slow start to prevent them from shutting down because of the Protection Board.

I also don't know if they can handle the high Current.

Has anybody tried them in the triple P7 from Wichtel?

I hope you can help me.

Best regards, Lukas
my 3xp7 runs on 6x18650. 3s2p, dual bored 4d mag, runtime is about 1.5hours, but i can't run it for that long non stop on full power, heat becomes an issue, so if you building one, my advice get multimode driver, imo for that light it is a must.

i also have 12aa adapter that i sometimes use in the light, i use eneloops,. capacity is half of 18650's that i have, so is the runtime. eneloops are 2000mah, i know there are aa cells of larger capacity, 2500 or so, but eneloop's quality and low self discharge rate, compensate for lower mah's.

as for d cells, i, ve never seen li ion d cells made anywhere other than china, (doesn't mean there aren't, i just have not seen them) kd sells 2 types, blue (unprotected, and black(protected), i have ordered them for my halogen 100w project, when i get them and test them i'll post results.
32650 (d cells) have capacity 5000mah, 2 18650 in parallel have the same capacity, sometimes more (depending on cells), so no need really to use d's that you don't trust. however you'd need to spend some money on machine shop to dual bore the light, i spend $60 , but it was worth it.

i don't know about protection modding on those black d cells, but if protection kicks in that means voltage is low, or drain is too high, so it drops volts rapidly,
good thing i have slow start switch on my halogen project,

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kudos for a great project! :twothumbs The light looks very nice!

However, just to put things in perspective; Budget for the tri-P7 light:

Mag 4D = $40.00
3x DSWOI P7 = $86.00
4x 18650 = $20.00
2x Li-Ion chrgr = $18.00
DerWichtel kit = €45.00=~$60
Total = $224.00 :sssh:

I'm not missing anything am I? I think I'll have to stick with a single P7 DD 2D Mag for the time being. I'm hunting one on ebay.:whistle: I already have an H22A heatsink. Then just a P7 LED to get from Photonfanatic, 3 C-cells and off I go.

This is the challenge with all hobby stuff - it adds up. I justified nearly $ 200 worth of charger and power supply (Triton II and PS) by convincing myself that it is a universal charger, and we really do use it to charge just about everything from r/c, yard clippers, etc.

It is remarkably difficult to build and sell any kind of substantial drop in, with LEDs, for under $ 125 - 175, which is roughly where this setup is. Still, compared to what a car hobby would cost, this is relatively cheap. :shrug:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi.
this just what i have been looking for. my first mag light.
a couple questions please... what mag light do i need to get? what is final price including shipping to usa? and is everything included in kit minus batts and host? and are they available for sale and in stock? thanks, ron

DAVEVO

Newly Enlightened
Would a constant 13-14.5v run the LED's? as an alternative to the batteries.

I am thinking of using a set up in my car as aux lighting.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts