Flashlightreviews.com going away...

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
NEW ADDRESS FOR THE ARCHIVE OF FLASLIGHTREVIEWS.COM INFORMATION:

http://flashlightreviews.woodlandsconnection.com/index1.html

Hey all -

As you probably well know, my website, FlashlightReviews.com, has not been updated in quite some time. I have not been accepting reviews, and in fact, I haven't been following flashlight news at all. I've kept the data available on the website for everyone to use and view for the last 2 years.

It looks like it may finally be time to let it go.

I just received an offer to purchase the domain name by a company that claims they would like to use it to host their own flashlight reviews. Of course once it's theirs, they can do whatever they wish with it.

I will make a decision within the week, but it's probable that I will sell them the domain provided the offer is valid. They would get the name only, not the data.

If you want any information from the website, download it now while you have the chance.

Doug P.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug P.,

Would you allow someone else to host the exact website (under a different URL, of course)? How many MB does it total? I'm sure someone would want to host it for you. Maybe Brock even? I might be able to, depending on the size. (All of this assuming that you would allow this, of course).

It would be a great shame for all that excellent information to no longer be available.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one other domain name that I own. I may be able to switch the FlashlightReviews.com server space over to the new domain name. That would allow people to still access the information, but under a completely different and unrelated domain name. I'll look and see if this is feasable.

The entire web site takes up about 100 meg.

Doug P.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one other domain name that I own. I may be able to switch the FlashlightReviews.com server space over to the new domain name. That would allow people to still access the information, but under a completely different and unrelated domain name. I'll look and see if this is feasable.

The entire web site takes up about 100 meg.

Doug P.

that would be a great idea as that website is a virtual encyclopedia on old lights that no one else would review anymore...

Crenshaw

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i also hope that all the information there would be saved somehow and somewhere into some other location in w.wideweb. just to possibly loose such an amount of information would be sad. (i still tend to browse there time to time to seek information or refresh the forgotten memories)

the name is not important to a website if people know whats in there.. hey this place is candlepower.. and i see no talk of candles in here! ;)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlightreviews was great!
Possibly THE site that helped me most - except for CPF of course.

Pretty sure I (we) can not even estimate all the work involved, can just notice how bad it is without it.

what happens now, does not count, or?
Without actual data/reviews ...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Please find some way to save your work for us, Doug. There was hardly a day I didn't visit your site after finding it and CPF. Your efforts should never be lost. Thank you.

Geoff

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Wow, this is a passing of an era... Doug, thanks for everything you have put into your site; your site and CPF are what got me interested in lights and I credit flashlightreviews.com with providing me the information to purchase my very first few lights... most of which, I still own.

that would be a great idea as that website is a virtual encyclopedia on old lights that no one else would review anymore...
Crenshaw
Great idea!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I too would strongly suggest attempting to save the content - moving it to another server if necessary.
Flashlightreviews.com really
head.gif
s, and I'd hate to see anything bad happen to such a fantastic repository of information.

Just my 2¢ here; individual opinions may and probably will vary.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please do save this info, I still use this website a lot for referencing... ( Actually Flashlightreviews introduced me to CPF)

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Doug,
Whatever happens, you should know how much money you cost most of us! :nana: Your site and these blasted forums are the two things that got me hooked.
Thanks, and I do hope it can be migrated to another domain.
:thumbsup: john

AlexLED

Enlightened

Fully agree !!!

The data was and still is very useful and educating. It would really be a pitty if this would be lost !!!

Doug,
thank you really much for all your work and especially your ideas on how to present and organize that kind of stuff !!! Not only in the world of flashlights but for reviews in general. Your site was/is GREAT !!!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Pretty sure I (we) can not even estimate all the work involved

Please do save this info, I still use this website a lot for referencing... ( Actually Flashlightreviews introduced me to CPF)
It's a great site, and was also my conduit to CPF.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
100 megs? I'd rehost a zip file of the sites contents for you!

I have access to a ftp @ team649.org

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
how can we download all the info anyway?

is there an easy way? because 100megs is not exactly alot these days in terms off offline storage....:candle:

Crenshaw

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
it'd be easy for us for quickbeam to ftp into his site and zip everything up, but we can probably use a site downloader.. but that might miss some stuff.

better for quickbeam to help us out :p

USM0083

Enlightened
Please save the data!!! I found Flashlightreviews way before CPF, and it's what started my down The Path.