Foursevens: Research Poll- what do you want to see?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Agreed !

I am a Big Fan of AA batteries !

Both single cell, and 2-cell

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the original Four Sevens 18650 body tubes. While the run time is good, I would actually rather have the smaller size, the flexibility to use CR123's in the Quark, and move up to the 18650/26650 for Maelstroms...

I have one of the original Four Sevens 18650 body tubes. While the run time is good, I would actually rather have the smaller size, the flexibility to use CR123's in the Quark, and move up to the 18650/26650 for Maelstroms...

:p Crazyeddiethefirst and I both own an 18650 Quark. The issue was the body walls had to be very thin to accommodate the 18mm battery and still mate the quarks head and tail. Thin walls do not a sturdy flashlight make.

Yo3X2x9.jpg

Check out the difference between the Maelstrom 18650 and the Quark 18650 tube/body.
qEOH3DB.jpg

~ Chance

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's too bad about the 18650 body. Wasn't there a previous Quark 18650 body?
Yes there was. There were actually a couple of revisions of it too.
The Legacy Quark 18650 tube's are now discontinued :(.

I can add that my 18650 tube version has the plastic head adapter like
pictured. It can sometimes become difficult to keep the plastic tightened
enough, without breaking it. One needs slip clutch style fingers(LOL) to
be able to still use the twist head UI features of the old legacy Quark's.

There are some newer styled Sanyo 16650 sized cells rated ~2400mAh.
I don't think we will see another Quark 18650 battery tube product again
based upon the advancements seen in battery technology.

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi all, basically the Quark 18650 design was a kludge that was fragile and difficult to manufacture. One of the new quarks will come with a 2200mAh 16650. The battery is actually rated to 2500mAh at 4.35V but most chargers will terminate at 4.2V so we are labeling it conservatively. The 18650 body will not be coming back as reliability and durability are driving factors.

ironhorse

Enlightened
I brought my Quark QPA, single aa back out of retirement. For a single aa light, this one is tough to beat. I don't recall what emitter it has, but the tint isn't bad. Want the clip facing the other direction, swap the head and tail. 0.9 - 4.2 volt. Won't come on in your pocket, change modes without turning it off.

I had to wear a holter monitor for 30 days. It came with 60 14500 Li-Ion batteries. It took 2 per day. They weren't nearly dead after a day, so I had 60 partially used batteries, and nothing to use them in, so I got the QPA. It exceeded my expectations and in hindsight, I probably should have purchased a spare.

I know we won't be getting the tighten down head for max again, but if we could get everything else with a Nichia high CRI, I would be in.

archer6817j

Enlightened
I brought my Quark QPA, single aa back out of retirement. For a single aa light, this one is tough to beat. I don't recall what emitter it has, but the tint isn't bad. Want the clip facing the other direction, swap the head and tail. 0.9 - 4.2 volt. Won't come on in your pocket, change modes without turning it off.

I had to wear a holter monitor for 30 days. It came with 60 14500 Li-Ion batteries. It took 2 per day. They weren't nearly dead after a day, so I had 60 partially used batteries, and nothing to use them in, so I got the QPA. It exceeded my expectations and in hindsight, I probably should have purchased a spare.

I know we won't be getting the tighten down head for max again, but if we could get everything else with a Nichia high CRI, I would be in.

Quarks are coming in January with the new UI, Nichia 319A, and 2xAA and 16650 format. The AA won't take lithium ion though. We are shipping them with NiMH rechargeables.

ncvarmint2016

Enlightened
Quarks are coming in January with the new UI, Nichia 319A, and 2xAA and 16650 format. The AA won't take lithium ion though. We are shipping them with NiMH rechargeables.

Sweet!' An idea on lumens in the 16650 format? Also will we be purchasing these from your website only?
thanks

fyrstormer

Banned
Listen to this Pod Cast @ ~9 minute mark, Jason explains why the knurling/grip was changed.
Yep, that explains it, thanks.

Everyone has their idiosyncrasies, and one of mine is I want matching (or complementary) surface textures on the various parts of my flashlight. Ribs on the battery tube are fine as long as there are ribs on the head and tail of the light as well. The Mini Mk.3 looks mismatched with knurling on the head and ribs on the battery tube.

SKV89

Enlightened
Any chance for a copper Maelstrom head or any copper heavily heat finned head would be nice?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance for a copper Maelstrom head or any copper heavily heat finned head would be nice?
Unfortunately we won't be seeing these special runs, like the old 100 piece run of the Gold and copper S12(MMU) lights, or a solid copper MMS(X) that soon. It is possible there could be special run, or preorder in the future once work on the lights is complete. The Advancements in designs Jason is incorporated into the new releases moving forward take some time to tweak, complete, schedule, and get ready for sale. I like your idea of a copper headed MM-X, and I'd buy a Copper MMU-X3.

Everyone has their idiosyncrasies, and one of mine is I want matching (or complementary) surface textures on the various parts of my flashlight. Ribs on the battery tube are fine as long as there are ribs on the head and tail of the light as well. The Mini Mk.3 looks mismatched with knurling on the head and ribs on the battery tube.
I hear that. Unfortunately the walls of the head have threads in them preventing matching grooves from being machined into them. A request for a knurled battery tube to match may be possible. A few advantages of the new grooves are a thicker more durable body that has more thermal mass and is a slightly larger diameter making it easier to operate one handed. Could You cover it up? Like say adding a rubber grip cover over the ribbing? I will ask if they will be legoable with the old Mini Turbo MKII's knurled battery tubes.

Yes, Jason believes that the two should be compatible for legoing :D.

Last edited: