Gerber Infinity Ultra, anyone still EDC this?

GoVegan

Enlightened
If there's one flashlight that I really regret not buying (while it was still considered a modern LED light) it is the Gerber Infinity Ultra.

Just out of interest is anyone still EDCing this light?

I'm thinking of ordering one and could probably EDC it as it would serve most of my lighting needs, which is primarily having an emergency light readily available in my pocket (I live in Tokyo and an earthquake/power outage could happen anytime), working in data center server racks and also for around the apartment at night.
It could also probably serve as excellent travel light too.

At the moment I usually EDC a Streamlight Protac 1AA or sometimes a Streamlight Microstream, however I like the idea of having a long lasting light source (even though I currently have a Fenix E01 on my keychain, I would end up removing this).
A low power mode is usually all I need as if I go out at night I sometimes take something bigger like a Fenix LD20 anyway.

If you don't EDC your Gerber UI, what use do you use it for?
I'm thinking it may also make a good backup light to a headlamp for night hikes. Anyone still take one backpacking?
Remember it was only a few years ago when ultra light backpackers used to get by with the 4.5 lumen Photon Freedom lights clipped to their hats.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have one by my bedside usually at all times and also one in my vehicle glove box. I also have several of the original infinity ultra-g models that were once very popular around here. Countycomm sold hundreds of these and they were labeled as government models and all were a dark green color. The Ultra-G was basically the original CMG Infinity Ultra prior to Gerber.

I still enjoy them and while not very bright they are very rugged and seem to last forever on any type AA battery.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't EDC my GIU, I have it saved up to mod one day. I am going to put an E01 driver and a warm Cree 5mm in it one day

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an Ultra-G and some colored LED CMG Infinity variants somewhere. I also have some type of Gerber Ultra (-M?) with a red lens which puts out a very dim beam useful for things like reading a star chart without losing your night vision. Or, sneaking to bed at 3 am without waking the wife. :tired:

For the low light work I've replaced the red-lensed Ultra with either a SureFire T1A Titan or an HDS Twisty.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Strange I don't know about these light. I have a bunch of the expert-Ms I use 2x rcr123s on. Sounds similar, not super bright but built like a tank, freaking thick!

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 5 years ago some business got rid of their Gerber Infinity Ultra inventory online at about $4.95 each. I got two for friends, and one for myself, because I didn't want to get "greedy". I'm kind of kicking myself now for not being greedier. Good news is, my friends loved them. I picked up a CMG version here on the marketplace not too long ago.

My one main criticism of both makers is that they didn't bother to polish the anodizing off of the reflectors. It would have made them a little brighter, at least.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My one main criticism of both makers is that they didn't bother to polish the anodizing off of the reflectors. It would have made them a little brighter, at least.

It wouldn't have made much of a difference. The 5mm Nichia DS projects most of the light from its own lens. There is some incidental light refraction but all that will do is make a ringy beam if anything

Tesla

Enlightened
Although I don't EDC it, I do have an original CMG Ultra (pre-Gerber) that resides in the arm cavity of my recliner for reading in my darkened theater room. Still a great light, but just too big for EDC for me.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Does anyone remember what the original Ultra-G sold for from CountyComm? It seems like I remember them being 19.99 then reduced to 15 dollars when discontinued. Even back then this was a good buy for a durable, simple, and long running performer. I also remember seeing many Ultra-Gs modded with a luxeon and cut down to use a CR2 cell. Always wanted one of those and cant remember who was doing the slick mods to them back then.

gunga

Flashaholic
I got a few Gerbers a few years ago. 2 white and 1 red. They live in the emergency kit and car. Modded with Nichia GS too. Great lights. Works in aaa in a pinch too

greenLED

Flashaholic
Does anyone remember what the original Ultra-G sold for from CountyComm? It seems like I remember them being 19.99 then reduced to 15 dollars when discontinued. Even back then this was a good buy for a durable, simple, and long running performer. I also remember seeing many Ultra-Gs modded with a luxeon and cut down to use a CR2 cell. Always wanted one of those and cant remember who was doing the slick mods to them back then.
That sounds about right. I remember the regular Gerber Infity Ultra going for $15.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had one the Gerber models for years however, it doesn't consistently light up when turned on. I don't know what the problem is. I've replaced batteries and cleaned/polished the contacts. It will work then. Leave it sit overnight and it won't light up when turned on. Very frustrating and unreliable. When it works it gives off plenty of light for navigation in a dark environment.