Gladius - darn it I'm just not impressed

Irongen

Newly Enlightened
Ooooooooh........ :thumbsdow

I just purchased a T2, it's a fine light. If you're expecting something that will blind people, crack them upside the head, shine across the Grand Canyon and survive til the end of human civilization, then no, it's probably not the light for you. If you want a durable, easily carried light with decent output and excellent run time, then the T2 is definitely worth a look.

Yes, I'm probably overreacting, but hey, I like my T2, I'll stand up for it. :twothumbs

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longbow said:
The "Edsel' of tactical lights?

I don't know why you'd say that, unless you were just trying to be inflammatory. It does something not done by any other light, and apparently does it very well.

Streamlights have some pretty severe problems, but they are favorites in fire and law enforcement. SureFire has arguably had worse switch problems. I don't think the Gladius switch has any functional problems, just a wierd impact thing and maybe if you carry it next to your tactical cow magnet.

Its ergonomics are not like other lights, but most owners view that as a positive thing. If you don't like its aesthetics or ergonomics, don't buy it.

As a volunteer firefighter for 15 years, I have used lots of equipment that I hated at first because something didn't appeal to me for whatever reason. But in the dark when I was tired, sweaty, hot, after a few tanks of air with lots of work still to be done and people's safety at stake, that equipment came through for me. It was only then that I appreciated whatever aspect of that equipment that I had hated when I was introduced to it on drill night. Funny how some things don't show their mettle outside of a hostile environment.

I am assuming the SEALs didn't have a combat desk team that Ken was a part of, but rather that he knows that exhausted, fumblefisted-but-have-to-keep-going feeling from Lord only knows what operations drastically more severe than any of my structure fires. I think Ken understands robust and dependable equipment, and will not put his "stamp" on something that will not withstand hard use.

Time will tell. Maybe sooner rather than later for me. I might find myself in a life-threatening hostile situation real soon when that light arrives.

Scott

Firebladz

Newly Enlightened
Ken,

One other concern I have is about the thermal protection kicking in after only half an hour according to flashlightreviews test...

Just curious if this sounds like a defective light and if you could possibly shed some light on actual battery runtime on the highest setting?

Thanks,
Firebladz.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Irongen said:
Ooooooooh........ :thumbsdow

I just purchased a T2, it's a fine light. If you're expecting something that will blind people, crack them upside the head, shine across the Grand Canyon and survive til the end of human civilization, then no, it's probably not the light for you. If you want a durable, easily carried light with decent output and excellent run time, then the T2 is definitely worth a look.

Yes, I'm probably overreacting, but hey, I like my T2, I'll stand up for it. :twothumbs

The T-series lights aren't junk - but I wouldn't call them tactical. They're solidly constructed, and the optics focus the light into a tight spot that zespectre used to help pull some people out of a flipped car with in foggy conditions, but they're not TACTICAL the way the name implies. I've yet to see a cop carry an Inova - Streamlights and Surefires are more their speed, and even mall security will carry Streamlights or maybe Maglights.

Besides, I'd rather take a T3 over a T2.

The way Longbow talks about the Gladius in various threads as he bashes it (and I don't recall him mentioning that he ever owned one to prove that he's got experience with how junky he claims it is), you'd think that Ken J. Good personally ran over the guy's dog, then beat a loved one using a Gladius light. :D

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
If I am understanding you correctly, your light is not defective, it is doing what is was advertised to do.

Thermal protection will kick depending on battery temp and ambient temp if it reaches a certain threshold. If for some reason it goes beyond a 2nd threshold, then the light will shut off until the switch is recycled.

There is also a programmed power management curve in the Constant On Channel (not detailed in or Spec Sheet). Since the light was designed to be a fighting light the Momentary and Strobe Channels have the highest output continually. Wandering around with a light constantly on is not a sound practice when searching for unknown threats.

If one leaves the light on in the Constant ON channel the timer starts and the light will auto dim by reducing power incrementally over approx a 15 minute period. At the end of that period there is still is plenty of light (I think it is the neighborhood of a 10% light reduction), but the runtime is greatly extended.

Our reasoning is that if you have your light on for that long you are not in immediate danger and are in a more administrative search mode and would desire more runtime over output. Secondly if you left the light on in "average" temps the Thermal Management would kick in anyway.

If you want to go back to full power in Constant ON then simply cycle switch and start the timer again.

From the thermal management point of view, if the light reduces power, you can also override this by cycling the switch.

Several folks have tried to measure the light in its highest output and ended up putting in cold water, under a fan etc. Remember battery life is directly affected by ambient temp.

What is the actual full-power runtime on a Gladius? According to the EE's that are much smarter than I am, you can figure 90 minutes on a good set up batteries I believe at 68 degrees F. That might not be exactly correct but close enough for government work...

Can I make a general comment....You guys have entirely too much time on your hands!!! :p

Last edited:

Firebladz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Ken,

lastly I was curious about the warranty...
The original ones came with a lifetime vs what the warranty is now?
How do they compare, what do they cover and for what period of time?
P.S. why the change in the warranty?

Thanks again,
Firebladz.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick correction to what Haesslich said, the camper wasn't flipped, he had just lost the road due to severe bad weather, driven into a ditch, and got stuck. (just FYI).

And use-wise I'd consider the T4 as much of a tactical light as the 3D mags ever were though they might not be considered tactical by modern standards :naughty:

Okay, back to discussing the Gladius.

Last edited:

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
This has been discussed in great detail on other threads here.

I am not trying to be obstinate, but I cannot open that can of worms again, I just do not have the time or energy.

Warranty - This is what is is now:

http://www.night-ops.com/warranty.htm

I don't even know what previous warranty said to be perfectly honest.

Folks understand that we will take care of them. I have personally tried to demonstrate that here and across the spectrum of commincations I handle.....That would be a logical way of building consumer confidence.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken J. Good said:
<snip> There is also a programmed power management curve in the Constant On Channel (not detailed in or Spec Sheet). Since the light was designed to be a fighting light the Momentary and Strobe Channels have the highest output continually. Wandering around with a light constantly on is not a sound practice when searching for unknown threats.

If one leaves the light on in the Constant ON channel the timer starts and the light will auto dim by reducing power incrementally over approx a 15 minute period. At the end of that period there is still is plenty of light (I think it is the neighborhood of a 10% light reduction), but the runtime is greatly extended.

Our reasoning is that if you have your light on for that long you are not in immediate danger and are in a more administrative search mode and would desire more runtime over output. Secondly if you left the light on in "average" temps the Thermal Management would kick in anyway.

See, now I consider that a well thought out function and it makes sense. I would never have know that was how it was supposed to work had we not had this dialogue. Okay, chalk one up in the plus category!

NextLight

Enlightened
Zespectre

It is hard to say this without sounding like a Gladius commercial. Please keep in mind, I like to take good care of my expensive personal stuff, but I am a professional Quality Assurance & Test Engineer; I break electronic equipment, and/or "complain" about it for a living. And, I am merciless.

I felt EXACTLY as you did the first day I had my Gladius. Now, it is my favorite grab & go tactical light...I now own two for personal use and am testing (AKA abusing) and loaning out a 3rd. I have had 3 others for "variance" testing.

My abused Gladius has proven very reliable, and it has seen a hard time. I loaned it to a Training Officer with the local PD, for a night tactics class, straight out of the long awaited $250 box. It came back to me with holster rivet wear, some scratches, and some minor nicks on the head... and a LOT of praise. I have dropped my Gladius in the toilet (an accidental "brown & yellow" test) and onto blacktop twice, once from about 8 feet. I have unscrewed the tailcap an estimated 400 times myself. (I am working on a couple of 'special' projects) I don't know how many times others may have removed the tailcap. (DO lubricate the body threads and o-ring with a good silicone grease; Otherwise, the proper installation feels a bit rough, and is it is harder to recognize when one does not have proper alignment... especially while running... in the dark.)

I EDC the light in a pocket or in a SF V70 holster. The present (actually, PAST now, I think) black ceramic coating has not proved as durable as HA-III, but I love the grip, and it is more durable than SF's black finish. Mine looks like a working professional's light. If it gets ugly, I may touch it up with some Krylon.

After I got my 2nd and 3rd Gladius (now my 'personal' lights) I started playing with shock/drop, over voltage, and high temperature operation. I shouldn't say much at this point, other than the light has proven more reliable and durable than dozens of other "professional" lights. I have killed several lights of other brands in the last 2 months. Try mounting most lights on a 12ga shotgun. I once blacked out 3 different lights in one box of 25 rounds.

SUGGESTION
Don't worry; Use it and enjoy it. If you have a job where you go in harm's way, (with or without firearm(s), but especially with) the Gladius is a sound choice and will likely grow on you quickly. If not, at least one of us that owns a Gladius would like to find another in B/S/T.

cy

Flashaholic
written warranty policy has changed, but getting taken care of has not.

if you have a legit warranty issue, Ken has shown by deeds not just words. that you will be taken care of.

Ken J. Good said:
This has been discussed in great detail on other threads here.

I am not trying to be obstinate, but I cannot open that can of worms again, I just do not have the time or energy.

Warranty - This is what is is now:

http://www.night-ops.com/warranty.htm

I don't even know what previous warranty said to be perfectly honest.

Folks understand that we will take care of them. I have personally tried to demonstrate that here and across the spectrum of commincations I handle.....That would be a logical way of building consumer confidence.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish Gladius sell replacement tailcap, I bust my tailcap and they don't sell only tailcap. Now my Gladius is just siting on the shell,gathering dust.:banghead:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
glockboy said:
I wish Gladius sell replacement tailcap, I bust my tailcap and they don't sell only tailcap. Now my Gladius is just siting on the shell,gathering dust.:banghead:

Have you tried contacting them about it?

Scott

haley1

Enlightened
I bought one a couple of weeks ago. I never thought I would, but I started playing with one in the shop. I think the thing that sold me on the Gladious over the U2, which I was also thinking about, was the strobe function. Practicing CQB at work, it does indeed seem to be more disorienting than regular high output lights. The tail cap seemed kind of flimsy on a light of this price and quality at first. But when I read the reasoning behind it, it seems to make sense. And truthfully I've found some "plastic" items to be more robust than metal. More forgiving if you will. I still tried to order a spare though. Won't be available for a couple of months I guess. I think I would prefer a Lux5 over the 3, due to wider "wall of light" for room clearing. It does have better throw than my L4 or even a P60 it seems, with good side spill. I would really like this light in the size of an L4, more pocketable. Not its intended purpose I guess, but I'd carry it everywhere then instead of the L1 and e2e I have now. I'd also like it if when you go from a lower setting to the high it would go back to the lower setting instead of off. Also an option without the anti-roll section on the tailcap. I think a rubber washer would be just as good and could be taken off if not needed/wanted. A pocket clip would be nice as well. As is, it's a spectacular light, albeit a little overpriced. IMO. I did pay it though, and I've not regretted it. It's just I don't think the target consumers will, some units can afford and will buy it at this price. But I think the normal, not us, cops on the beat or soldiers won't. Lets face it thats about 20 cases of beer. I didn't quit buying beer to afford it, but I did quit buying gas. I'm glad I still had my bike!

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I did runtime tests on my Gladius I got 100+ minutes of very bright light before the blinking started. After the blinking started, within about ten minutes, the light meter readings were much lower.
(Sorry, I do not have my notes near me tonight so I cannot be more specific about lux @ 1 meter readings.)
My Gladius is one of my TWO ENC's (Every night Carry).

The strobe works great for closing gaps in hostile circumstances, I set up some safe exercises with some volunteers to test this.

It also really gets attention when maximum visibility is a must.

I personally love the tail cap and did take the time to practice properly installing and removing it in diverse circumstances.
This was before the instructions were improved and came as a result of studying the light to see why I was initially having problems consistently getting the tail cap on easily. Once I figured out what to do, it only tood a few minutes to learn to quickly and repeatedly do it right. Now it is second nature. I cannot emphasise enough what a great idea the double blink every 15 seconds as the batteries are getting too low to provide bright light is.

The only thing that prevents this light from being on of my EDC's is the lack of a good pocket clip. I do plan on getting an OD Gladius and then I will probably give my black Gladius to my wife.
I will be having her carry it for a few days to see how she likes it first.
Her main concern is not function or understanding features. Her concern is the cost of replacement if she looses it.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I do not own one of these lights however I do like the concept and purpose built design behind the light. I think the more simple approach works best with a light however I have seen other high dollar lights with minor flaws at first.
If there is some special way to activate a light or a certain way to change batteries then practice is the key. Any officer will tell you that you better know your equipment before going out in the field.
I remember changing from a level 2 holster to a level 3 and it took a very long time to develope a habit of hitting that extra thumb break simply as I had practiced for years with one specific set up. The same goes for lighting here I think. When I switched from a Stinger to a SureFire I had practiced for years with the switch on the body behind the bezel. It took some time to learn the tailcap switch and now that is all I would use.
I can tell you first hand that even a seasoned veteran will have some type of stress related factors in a combat situation. Most fine motor skills are lost and that is where repetition comes to play. I think a tactical light should be as simple as possible and if you have one that is different learn it well before using it in the field.
Practice a battery change under stress and also practice going to a back up light if your main one fails. Do it until you are almost crazy with boredom and then do it some more. You want your instincts to take over and these should include training for every scenario. I like a light designed for one thing in mind such as combat or patrol work. This light should do well however it does seem to be different. I really can not say as to the quality or ease of use of this light as I do not have one as of yet.
Regardless if there are any problems Mr.Good seems to be on top of things and does seem to really want to make a good product. I will keep my eye on this light and maybe try one for myself.

Longbow

Enlightened
I think the PA state patrol are issued Inova T2's, likely the most dependable flashlight ever.

BTW my first car was a 2 yr. old 1958 Edsel Pacer, black over aqua.

Irongen

Newly Enlightened
The T-series lights aren't junk - but I wouldn't call them tactical. They're solidly constructed, and the optics focus the light into a tight spot that zespectre used to help pull some people out of a flipped car with in foggy conditions, but they're not TACTICAL the way the name implies

What exactly makes a light a 'tactical' light? I've seen the description used on many different models of flashlight, all of basically the same form factor, but I assume that there has to be something specific that makes a light rated 'tactical'.

And as far as cops using Inovas, according to Inova, the Arizona State Police are issued the T2s, and are supposedly very pleased with them. Yes, though, most police I think go for Surefires and the like. But there are police out there that are issued Inovas (and for all we know, may buy them as backup lights...were I a police officer, I'd rather use something like a T2 for general illumination and save the shorter-duration light for potential combat situations and the like).

dg

Newly Enlightened
Here is my reply to a similar question on the www.britishblades.com forum ...

"I use mine infrequently. If I do get called out at night I may take it, but it has not been used much. I still prefere to also have a 4 cell Mag with me though!

Mine is grey, and it has a little wear to the coating on the bits that stick out (I don't know their proper name) and this has only been from cloth contact inside a pocket or hung around my neck.

I still prefere to use an L4 for sheer light and this is generally my light of choice for the pocket. But I am tending to use the gladius more for throw instead of the Inova T3 when out walking.

I must admit to being underwhelmed with it though.
Apart from the initial novelty value and owning a cutting edge torch, I did not (and do not) get the wow factor that my other torches gave/give. It was not cheap enough to be a good bargain, and it does not do anything that my other [cheaper] torches can do so its expense can not really be justified either. It will never be a work light for me, so its ruggedness is not a main consideration.

Having said that, it is still an alluring torch to own and use, but I can't help wondering if I should have bought a torch that does something different to those I already have."

I have recently found that the strobe on the Inova 24/7 produces a disorienting effect just as good too.

However, I acknowledge that it was designed for a purpose and I feel that it does satisfy this. If I was in the business which required a tactical light, then Gladius would certainly be a prime consideration.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
This is an image of a early version of the Gladius "Tactical" Lights as opposed to the current "Regular" Gladius Light...

image001.jpg

The only issue we had was the fact that every window we shined it at melted.
Turning corners with it in conjunction was handgun was intially problematic, but once you got used the balance it was a non-issue.