• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Haiku XP-G

fyrstormer

Banned
The new light looks good! I have two questions.
-Is the tint of the XP-G as cool as the Osram in the LS20 or is it somewhere between the XR-E Haiku and the LS20?
-Any thoughts for doing a mizer version? I'm not sure if I need a 30% increase in lumens since the XR-E is bright enough for me already, but a 30% increase in runtime would be pretty nice.
I can't say for sure since I haven't seen one of these, but the R5 light that I have is much warmer than the LS20; the LS20 seems to be somewhere between 8000-10000K, whereas the R5 I have is roughly the same temperature as an R2. I wonder where Don managed to get the Golden Dragons he used in the LS20, actually, because the couple I have on-hand are nowhere near that cool.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still a relatively new collector, but I have still discovered a remarkable pleasure and satisfaction in the 'KISS' philosophy of flashaholism. All the concerns about lumens, blah blah, pale in comparison to the satisfaction of owning a simple, durable tool that just plain works - every time you need it.

Don's lights do that better - at least for me - than any of the others I've tried or use.

My $.02

lovecpf :thumbsup:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots would be great! :D

I'm having a tough time deciding whether to wait for the Haiku XP-G or to get a BB Haiku :sweat:

fyrstormer

Banned
Beamshots would be great! :D

I'm having a tough time deciding whether to wait for the Haiku XP-G or to get a BB Haiku :sweat:
If you decide you can't wait, you will by no means be disappointed with an XR-E-based Haiku. It's a fantastic light, and it's drunk-proof too, as I discovered. :green:

(besides, it would help Don unload his collection of XR-E emitters. ;))

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah!

Not helping the bank account, or my mind guys!

:laughing:

I really want one of those BB Haiku, but I'd like a more floody beam like the XP-G gives... :ohgeez:

ibcj

Enlightened
The original Haiku was not recommended to be run on high for long periods. Because the XP-G is being underdriven, does it run cooler on high ?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The drive level is the same to both the XR-E in the Haiku and the XP-G in the Haiku XP-G. The fact there is more flux from the XP-G makes me think there is less wasted energy in heat with it. The XR-E is being underdriven though in the Haiku and I am not aware of any real issue running it for long periods, especially if you are holding it and aiding in the thermal dissipation by doing so. The size of the XR-E and its larger heat sink pad make me think it is a better package in terms of thermal relief and indeed, it does have a higher max current than the XP-G. :shrug:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Any E.T.A updates Don?

:naughty:

Yeah, I am composing the wave offering in another window as I type this. In the spirit of full disclosure and regarding waves, I have been slow to get this offering launched because there have been day after day of good waves over here and I have been unable to avoid them or find the energy reserves required to work late into the nights after a demanding day of wave riding. :green: :eek:

I was also holding off hoping to be able to offer an alternative battery pak to the CR123 McClickie pak but alas, still vapor. (2xAA McClickie pak to be specific)

Since this thread is the foundation or source of information on the Haiku XP-G I think I need to post an observation or caution here.

If for some reason, you find the need or desire to remove the XP-G LE from the Haiku head, please pay attention to the 5x1 mm LED separator O-ring when you go to re-install the LE. This O-ring is not really captive either in the cup on the reflector or around the LED package. Gravity can cause it to relocate itself other than where it is intended to reside.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing:

:thumbsup:

It's all good Don! I understand, I don't surf but I can relate with riding my Motorbike.

If it's a nice day, there's no point on calling me that day :nana:

Sorry for the consistent harassment mate!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks for your understanding and compassion! :D

You didn't waste anytime! (e-mail received) :crackup: