• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Haiku XP-G

ChipZero

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking about a 2 x CR123 pal because of the longer possible runtimel, not because of the brightness

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope don't think so, unless you use a 17670 cell in the 2x123 pak if you could find one that fits.

AW 17670s that I have are TIGHT fits in my 2-paks (with label removed) - I need to use some centrifugal force (swing my arm) to have it start to slide out (into cupped hand) - I had one fly out onto the floor - so I use cupped hand and only swing hard enough to get it to move out. No problem removing the label - I know just glancing at my batteries that if there is no silver label it's a 17670.

bmcgators98

Enlightened
It has been my experience that the AW 17670 vary slightly in diameter, you may have to go through a couple to find one that fits. I have had a few that were too big to fit at all and some that fit easily.

mattp

Enlightened
Email sent regarding stock Haiku XP-G. I can't wait to get my hands on this little beauty, thanks Don!
Cheers,
Matt

mattp

Enlightened
I received my Haiku XP-G today, thanks Don! All the comments about these being a functional work of art now make perfect sense to me, after handling a McGizmo for the first time. Despite poring over many threads and photos, the Haiku is smaller than anticipated, but feels perfect in hand. The finish is flawless, and I'm really enjoying the McClicky switch; after becoming used to lights with a switch on/off and head twist to change modes it's wonderful to have a truly one-handed operation, which makes more sense in a light of this size. I can't wait for it to get dark tonight to check out the beam properly outside.
I now sense a Mule High CRI in my future...
Cheers, Matt.

nbp

Flashaholic
Bored at work today, thought I'd do an experiment. I grabbed our little handheld laser thermometer gun, whatever they are called, and thought I'd do some temperature readings on my Haiku on high. Here are my results..

I started the test with the light at 23*C, the temp it was just out of my pocket. The room's ambient temp was 22*C. I took the reading on the beveled edge of the head just below the fins, which seems to be the hottest part to me. I ran it for 10 minutes and took a reading once a minute.

0m - 23C
1m - 24C
2m - 25C
3m - 26C
4m - 26C
5m - 27C
6m - 27C
7m - 28C
8m - 28C
9m - 28C
10m - 28C

If I took a reading on the fins, it was usually about 1 degree warmer than the beveled part of the head. After shutdown, I tried to get a read on the emitter itself, but I am not sure if it was reading that properly. I was getting a value of about 30C, which seems pretty low, so maybe the reflector was goofing with the laser or something. :shrug:

Just some fun data I thought you all would enjoy. I'm no expert on such things, but I guess what I take from it is that the thermal management of this light is pretty good. It seems that the design and allows for sufficient heat dissapation, and once warmed up, it's able to maintain a pretty stable temperature, well within the happy operating range of the LED.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
VladSh, Thanks for posting here. Your e-mail was in my spam folder but I found it and have now responded.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
@nbp,

That is surprisingly cool Nick. I was expecting something like 30+ to 40 degree celsius. Now I wonder what the XM-L ones would show.

jiuong

Newly Enlightened
Andy,

My XML seems to be as hot or should I say as cool as my High CRI Haiku at high.:thumbsup:

Joe

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andy,

My XML seems to be as hot or should I say as cool as my High CRI Haiku at high.:thumbsup:

Joe

That's good news! Was a little worried when I read one user commenting that it got too hot to touch when it turned on in his pocket.

jiuong

Newly Enlightened
It must be in his pocket for quite sometime.
As you know, I use my lights when I bring my children for our evening walks,
and not once did the XML feel too hot to touch.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It must be in his pocket for quite sometime.
As you know, I use my lights when I bring my children for our evening walks,
and not once did the XML feel too hot to touch.
That is a relief. I hate hot lights and I would rather trade brightness just to ensure my lights doesn't get too hot to touch.