Has Your Flashlight Hobby Waned?

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's more of a seasonal thing for me now. I don't walk for pleasure at night in the winter months now, but when it's hot in the summer I'll be using my lights a lot at night out walking.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I miss the days of combing the flashlight aisles at Target and Fry's and trying every new Inova and River Rock brand light they sold, then discussing them on CPF. Also miss discussions of Peter Gransee's Arc lights and how well built they were. I still have a few.

mrsteel

Newly Enlightened
I've taken a bit of a break but just am having a resurgence with some of the new stuff coming out.

I bought an Olight Warrior X3 and have a new list of things I want to buy such as the Lumintop Thor 1 or the new 250W version of the Flashtorch.

It feels good to be back, I cycle through my hobbies somewhat periodically and I'm ready to see what's new in the flashlight world.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does suck that many of the good stores for buying flashlights are out of business. No more looking through Fry's to buy Surefire, Inova, Icon, or Fenix lights. Sport Chalet is gone so can't see the Petzl and Princeton Tec lights there. Lowe's stopped selling Maglites and Surefires in their store. Walmart locks up all their lights behind glass so you can't check out the specs. With the shipping problems now, a lot of us don't want to wait 3+ months for a light to be shipped from China only to be stolen off a train in L.A. So we can be content with what we have, chose from the fewer options in the store, or be patient and hope our order gets to us eventually. Hard to make an impulse buy if you have to wait for customer service to open those stupid flashlight cases or unlock each row of lights. The convenience of grabbing the light you want and immediately purchasing it is gone in most places.

There are some really nice lights coming out now. The Lumitop Thor looks good combining bright l.e.d.s and an l.e.p. (if you can afford it). Nitecore is experimenting with digitally controlled spot to flood in their headlight (Nitecore HC68). I'm seeing creative ways to make our lights adjustable from spot to flood with amazing throw and no lousy fish eye lenses. However, for my needs right now, I can cover my bases with a Nitecore E4K, HC60 v.2 headlight, Tip 2, NU20 headlight, and a Luci Lux Pro lantern.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
A good thread. Yes, I'm not as active as I was, but I still value my flashlight collection. Hardly sold any of mine over the last however many years. Still have a shitload of all our beloved incan bulbs, could still make custom battery packs if I wanted. I think I will pick this back up soon. Still have a dozen of Jimmy's and the other programmable Mag bulb controllers, and the software and programming unit to fiddle with them. Saved all those old threads with photos, etc. Biggest problem is lifespan of batteries. They are likely at end of life and have to buy more. Anyway, it's still a cool hobby with lots of great people here.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Haven't bought anything of any significance since 2019; the nights haven't gotten any darker, lol.
The last game-changer IMO was the 5000K M91BN drop-in w/ the "Easter Egg" reduced-voltage Malkoff driver from 2019, and also the M61N LLLL (also via a group buy) from 2020.

SureFire / Malkoff / Oveready stuff seems to last forever; am still happy with what I'd purchased 10 years ago, when Neutral emitters started becoming widely available.

I had a few of my older favorite SF's modded back in 2018, and I certainly have no expectations of them needing a future update.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If the aquisition of new items means its waned, then yes it has.
If drinking an extra 8oz of water before bedtime so I can awaken at 2am then spend a few seconds deciding which light to illuminate my path this time means it has not waned…then the latter is the case. No it has not.

Never have been one to just turn them on and gaze at the ceiling bounce, but I do try to think of reasons to use one several times a day, still.

For me it's not that my interest has waned, rather it's that my interest has matured. At first I lusted for the newest and most innovative, cutting edge lights. (Remember the excitement when Fenix released the P1, or when David Chou released the Quark Mini 123? Sunshine in your pocket!) Fast forward fifteen years...and it feels like I have one of every size and category, and two of most, with enough batteries to comfortably weather a year or two of grid down anarchy. With my product lust more or less satisfied, I find that the threads that really pique my interest these days are those that discuss human vision, or how various tints and CRI combinations affect color perception. For me, going down the rabbit hole of understanding the interplay between light and vision allows me to better appreciate and understand exactly what it is I'm seeing with my lights.

I have lumens and functionality out the wazoo. I will never have enough knowledge and understanding of light and vision. My interest hasn't waned, it's just become more refined.

ven

Flashaholic
As this format won't allow me to post as I want to, not in order of typing.
Still have surefires
FmYsbMX.jpg
Many still with me today , sold maybe 3 or 4 like the c2 and m6. A 47 to go with an awesome family back US side to CG.

But rest with me, especially mr fixers and parts for PK. Along with PK lights /pen. These are priceless to me as from special people. Same with HDS and some Custom vinh lights
M5Wn3jq.jpg

MXq27mD.jpg

Short answer yes .

I find though something fills the void. Since having covid in July, I decided to take back up air rifles/ pistols with my lad . Think I'm at 5 rifles and 8 pistols,soon to be 9. Watches another deep hole which has kept me occupied to.

G shock mad I guess after years of auto divers. Think I must have added 7 or 8 in the last couple of months!
Having sent a H2r back, no longer make the NW(luckily I have a back up ) I got a Perun. No NW….boooooh!!!! But it's ok , whilst it lasted which was days. That was Dec 16th returned. No fast customer service this time. Funnily I sent an email telling them I will buy a fenix as it was now a month on!
I am a man of my word and bought a 70r and another 21700. Naturally a new Perun came through about 5 days after.

2dvwqy2.jpg

Perun
i7l2Fp4.jpg

This forum format doesn't help me being honest either. Doesn't flow for me as previous. Hence first part of this post, I wanted my pics last.

This place CPF ,has some awesome people , made some life time friends. Regardless if I frequent much or not. CPF will still be family for me. Since joining in 2013, I've never known a place like here.
I'm going to make more of an effort to get on when I can.
But buying wise I also feel saturated as more than happy with what I have. I'm happy with 4000-5000k. Enjoy my nichia , enjoy my h17 , my vinh lights always special. Gifts I've been lucky to receive are with me and forever! But because I'm happy and already have too many, little point to buying anything these days. Not that bothered about mainstream stuff(headlamp excluded ).
So now onto expensive customs which I can not justify £1000's on a light, I would be too scared to use. Just come out for a pic . Most already are in draws not getting used.

Not a day goes by that I still don't use a headlamp or torch in one way or another. As tools always a part of life , be it around house, work, under the hood!
Still have maybe 60+ and 10+ in work

HDS, Malkoff, surefire ,haiku, PK, vinh, Tana will always be with me .

My love has not waned, the buying part has.
Cheers ven and a big HELLO to all my friends .

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
my interest in flashlights will be with me forever all day everyday, as far as purchasing, that comes and goes either when new tech is released or I feel the need to add a few lights to the collection wich seems to be once a year or so. Currently I'm back in it and then I'll cool off until the next batch of must have wonder weapons are released.

Reactions: ven

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always more of a flashlight dude in the winter season, and less of one in the summer months. Longer days mean I need them a lot less. I don't need a flashlight as much when it's light at 5am and until after 10pm, but I do a lot more so when it gets dark at 4pm in December.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep, no longer as interested as before. I do not build or mod for several years now, maybe it has to do with a new kid that was born over two years ago, or maybe i just lost interest all together. i still visit forums but the drive i had before is no longer there.

• Sad

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Has Your Flashlight Hobby Waned?

For me, it was about finding one or two lights that I could use in most situations, focusing primarily on an EDC defensive light. Took a couple of years of acquiring a variety, before I began to whittle it down. Have one type, these days, in two intensities (Malkoff M61W, and Malkoff M60LL). For me, it hasn't been a hobby, as such.

It's good, though, to see LED's absolutely everywhere, these days. Lots of decent choices. I wish more of the makers would do fully-potted devices, but still it's great to have such a wide variety to choose from in lighting.

ven

Flashaholic
A Ven sighting. :clap:
Haha yo Mr fixer, I'm still about like an old pair of boots. Don't see for months then there they are!
Hope you and family are good. I miss you guys, members make a forum or group. Just takes more effort it seems now.

Cheers ven and all the best😀

ven

Flashaholic
yep, no longer as interested as before. I do not build or mod for several years now, maybe it has to do with a new kid that was born over two years ago, or maybe i just lost interest all together. i still visit forums but the drive i had before is no longer there.
For me definitely life events help or the opposite. Little ones take a lot of time, love and attention. When time frees up a little , sometimes interests /hobbies/passions etc come back to us.
For me air rifles is a good example, I started off maybe around 2003/2004 with the good old weihrauch 97. Naturally led to pcp with air arms in this case . Also hw45 silver star. Madison was born 2006 and not long after just not time or didn't hold enough interest. I remember buying the air arms s510 when released in 2008! I ended up selling it before callum was born in 2010. So it's been a 12yr gap. Now we have started over together .
As flashlights are tools, they will always be with use regardless. But who knows in a few years, you could have a little helper to pass on your skills and knowledge. That could rekindle the love . Might not be a few years, could be a decade, but I think it will return. Exploring woods with flashlights is fun for all ages ,once old enough to hold and operate. Lighting up trees, lakes, the sky! Never grows old. Some things are in our blood, no matter what changes in life. Kids, houses, jobs, or all of them.

Good to see you , hope well

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
It has in a way. I have a good amount of torches I cherish, in varied enough setups that they cover all my possible needs.

What I really like about flashlights is and has always been using them. And living in a well lit condo and working the early 6AM shift hasn't left me with the need of using my lights, at least not for extended periods.

3oni

Newly Enlightened
It ebbs and flows for me, like many of my hobbies. I get back into it, research options, buy a light or two that best matches my current needs, and then just enjoy those lights and don't think too much about what else is out there/what I might be missing.

Late last year I picked up a Malkoff MD2, an Elzetta Alpha, and a SureFire 6P with a Malkoff drop-in. That plus my existing keychain light covers 95% of my flashlight needs, and so far no new light has been able to run the gauntlet of "What does Light X do that these lights don't already do?"