Have you owned a SureFire?

Have you owned a SureFire

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, and I have no intention to, either.

Your loss. The previous generation of Surefire's, back before they went with a sealed body design, are some of the finest hosts I've ever owned.

I haven't tried every Surefire light yet, but of the ones I have, the A2 is still my favorite over all others. There's a reason I own 4 and carry one at least 5 days a week. Pop a couple RCR123's in there and you have a rechargeable, VERY throwy pocket light with a gorgeous 100CRI beam. That's not to say anything about the long-running, floody secondary LED's. It's a fantastic light and it was a sad day when SF discontinued it.

yliu

Enlightened
I've never owned any Surefires mainly because of their extremely high price tag here in Europe. Although once I have the chance to go to the US, I'll definitely buy a few.

Henryseale

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I own two of them. One I use as a weapon light and the other I modified with a Cree LED drop in. Really like my Surefires!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned many Surefires and still own some. Well-built solid flashlights. I appreciate the C2 and 6P for the P60 drop-ins (especially the newer triples and quads out there). I've also owned M3s and M6s - very powerful incans. The M3 is one of my favorites. Also run em on rechargeables, not primaries - too $$$

Now if you are not into incans I can easily understand how they would not appeal to you. The stock LEDs they use in there lights leave a lot to be desired and I have no draw to these newer lights.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, and that's almost all that I own now. I experimented with Fenix and was disappointed so I went back to what I knew would always work. The only exception is a L2P with an XML 3 mode, and a 4/7 Mini 123 HCRI.

I currently have 6P, 9P, M4, M3, M3T, M952V, E1B, E2DL, E2E, A2L-RD, & Fury. I've had others but sold them -- not because of a lack of quality, but lack of use and I wanted someone else to enjoy them since I couldn't.

If it's life and death, I'm grabbing one of my Surefires.

Maxbelg

Enlightened
I've owned lots and lots of Surefires and sold lots too. Currently I have 6 and one on the way for which I can hardly wait: Kroma modded with XML and white leds in place of the blue ones!
At the end of the day they have been my most reliable lights.(love my HDS acme 170 GDP too, but don't trust it like a Surefire). Favorite at present is an A2L with white secondary LEDs which I run on 17670s: i just love different beamstyles with such a simple UI!!!
Before I owned and used Surefires I couldn't understand the fuss and thought them,overpriced, but now I know better.........

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currenty have 2 E1B's ( new & old version), a Titan Stock ( for daughter at university), and Titan modded to a neutral XPG. All great lights. These are the ones I lend to guests at the cabin first. If they can handle these, then they might get to use a SPY or Haiku.
I had a St Minimus, but it crapped out on me and my local AD didn't carry headlights any more, so I picked up the second E1B instead.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Yes I currently own a G2, 6P, E2L, M2, A2-incan. I try and stick with their smaller lights that accept rechargable cells. I stay away from their designs (and anyone else for that matter) that only use primary CR123. I also stay away from their bigger + brighter lights, I don't see as much return on the $ invested.

The E2L with a 17670 and a water bottle diffuser is a great EDC setup.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own more than a few SF.

What I don't get is why are they so controlled sales wise outside the US?

kelmo

derangboy

Enlightened
I have a couple. The M6 with the PHd mod is exceptional for Alberta's "brown" season :laughing:

The dealer in Calgary has the Vampire on the shelf, so it seems only some models might be limited. Do I need a Vampire? Not really. Do I want one to check my trail cam setup at night? Of course!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I've got a few of them, starting with a 6P that's lived its entire life attached to one weapon or another. It's a very simple, solid, dependable light.

In the order of acquisition:

6P LED (Malkoff M61) weapon mounted
E2D Defender
M951 weapon mounted
6P LED Defender (Malkoff M61LL)
LX2

I've been contemplating getting a VME head for my E2D Defender to convert it from a thrower to more of a multi-purpose light.

I plan to get a 9P fairly soon, and it will also run a Malkoff drop in, attached to my primary HD shotgun.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I've got a few of them, starting with a 6P that's lived its entire life attached to one weapon or another. It's a very simple, solid, dependable light.

In the order of acquisition:

6P LED (Malkoff M61) weapon mounted
E2D Defender
M951 weapon mounted
6P LED Defender (Malkoff M61LL)
LX2

I've been contemplating getting a VME head for my E2D Defender to convert it from a thrower to more of a multi-purpose light.

I plan to get a 9P fairly soon, and it will also run a Malkoff drop in, attached to my primary HD shotgun.

Try out that 9P as a handheld -- it's a pretty versatile setup. You can run 2x17500, 3x123 primaries, or even 2xAA with reduced output.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I own about 20, and have sold off probably around 15. I love Surefires... the only light I have that isn't a Surefire is my Malkoff Wildcat, and only because the head wouldn't fit on a 9P.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, as noone yet seems to have used (or still own) a real surefire ... one of the "old" rechargeable incan models that created the reputation.
They are sooo much nicer to look at, or - for the 6P - to pocket them, ... also they are way more rugged

6 P/R
8X & 9N (w. homemade body). These two were the bomb at their time
an A2 because of the praises here, but the CR123s I tried did not fit into (too long, so no 2 way switch. Both led and main bulb came on together). And I dont want to mess with waste batteries in gadgets with such a poor runtime.
... its stinger bulb modded, of course

PS: I do wonder, if "no SF has ever failed on me" does, or does not, include bulbs to :poof:
:thinking:

I do have a bunch on actual models (mainly overready 18650 modded and with Led insert) but I hate how they are built now.
My old 6P has seen quite some use and also falls but there is only a single slight bend in it.
The "new" orange colored overready 6P received a considerable bend at the lip, because I did not instantly have the bezel ring installed. It has only been petted around, but seems to have received an impact somewhere (dunno how and where).
I also recommended a 6P w. led insert to a friend and he only had it in his backpack, never used it. When we needed the lights, it got out and half of the lip was bent inside. Imho to the point it might get dangerous to bend it back to be able to install the real bezel ring (overready`s) ...
That "quality improvement" is sooo disappointing

Try out that 9P as a handheld -- it's a pretty versatile setup. You can run 2x17500, 3x123 primaries, or even 2xAA with reduced output.
I thought that topic over and over several times and always end up at:
"why getting a much longer light than 6P/18650 with does not offer any advantage for that worsened size?"
what point do I miss?

Lucciola

Enlightened
Just one so far: E1B. But I am so impressed with it that I definitely want more. Seems I've reached the second or third stadium of acute flashoholism. :broke:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that topic over and over several times and always end up at:
"why getting a much longer light than 6P/18650 with does not offer any advantage for that worsened size?"
what point do I miss?

Not to be rude, but the answer to your question was contained in my post you quoted.

If your priority is smallest package possible, yes, get a bored 6P for sheer runtime. If you want versitility, the 9P is an option worth considering.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm an E-series fan, got a few knocking around here... :) G2 is also an awesome light with an Oveready McClicky kit installed. Nice with a P60, or your choice of lower- powered dropin. Shado- I'm looking for that "can of worms" smiley... :) Everyone should own an E2E at some point, and an A2. YMMV, but they're classics and both work as well today as they did when introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.