HDS Systems #23

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
...when I do drop my HDS I really am more concerned about what it landed on then another ding / scratch.
Indoors, yes. Outdoors, depends. It would cost me more to repair certain areas of flooring around the home than to replace an HDS outright.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way that would ever happen to me would be if I stepped in quicksand.
I have to say that I treat my HDS lights like royalty.
I have actually dropped a couple and my heart stopped as I check my baby for and dents or scratches.
If your HDS doesn't have a few good dings on it, then you're not using it correctly.

Last edited:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your HDS doesn't have a few good dings on it, then you're not using it correctly.
I dropped mine a couple of months ago when walking my dog, it bounced on the sidewalk a couple of times. When I got home, i checked it for damage and couldn't find any.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped mine a couple of months ago when walking my dog, it bounced on the sidewalk a couple of times. When I got home, i checked it for damage and couldn't find any.

It's comforting. Losing one's grip on most any electronic device usually brings terror. How many of us have damaged smartphones that way? I'm puzzled by the 1 meter or 1.5 meter drop ratings of many flashlight brands. I am about 1.85 meters tall. This means that if I were to drop such a light from eye level, it would be outside of its impact resistance rating.

I don't drop my HDSes very often because the narrowing of the tube between the waist and the tail cap provides a secure grip. Still, once in a while, it hits the ground. On those occasions, I smile thinking of that steel bezel, the lens cushioned between O-rings, and those electronic bits nestled securely in epoxy.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what my 7-year old Rotary looks like:

It has been dropped a few times. :D

carrot

Flashaholic
It's comforting. Losing one's grip on most any electronic device usually brings terror. How many of us have damaged smartphones that way? I'm puzzled by the 1 meter or 1.5 meter drop ratings of many flashlight brands. I am about 1.85 meters tall. This means that if I were to drop such a light from eye level, it would be outside of its impact resistance rating.

I don't drop my HDSes very often because the narrowing of the tube between the waist and the tail cap provides a secure grip. Still, once in a while, it hits the ground. On those occasions, I smile thinking of that steel bezel, the lens cushioned between O-rings, and those electronic bits nestled securely in epoxy.

Exactly frames why these fantastic lights make it into my EDC often. It's not often you get to enjoy a beautifully over engineered little thing that fits in your pocket.

nbp

Flashaholic
I think if your HDS gets that beat up it means you don't have enough HDS. Gotta spread the love around. [emoji38]

JKolmo

Enlightened
Wonderful patina! Is that the original button or has it been replaced? Seems annoyingly fresh[emoji3]

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonderful patina! Is that the original button or has it been replaced? Seems annoyingly fresh[emoji3]
Recent repair because the old button had developed a split. The new button feels more robust, so I expect it will last longer.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if your HDS gets that beat up it means you don't have enough HDS. Gotta spread the love around. [emoji38]
Every once in a while, I go to the HDS site and put together a custom flashlight order, but I just can't convince myself to pull the trigger. It was easier back when Henry's lights were selling for less than $200. If I remember correctly, the light pictured was in the $170 range at the time I purchased it.

nbp

Flashaholic
I definitely get that. I've had a lot of HDS, and I do feel the ones coming out now really are the best ever. The LED options are fantastic, the newer reflectors are great, and the stainless tailcaps are beautiful! You'll be hard pressed to ding those up. If you ever feel the itch to add a second to your rotation you will defintely be pleased.

Mgizler

Enlightened
I definitely wanted another rotary for quite some time. I regretted selling my last one. My current clicky ,200 Fanta orange, gets almost no pocket time. And now....my Fraz labs tiny nugget has won the battle for my pocket. I'm sure I'll get another rotary eventually.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely get that. I've had a lot of HDS, and I do feel the ones coming out now really are the best ever. The LED options are fantastic, the newer reflectors are great, and the stainless tailcaps are beautiful! You'll be hard pressed to ding those up. If you ever feel the itch to add a second to your rotation you will defintely be pleased.
Oh, I don't doubt I would be immensely pleased with a new HDS. I actually do have two Rotaries in my possession, a cool white and a high CRI, but the the cool white is strictly a backup and rarely gets any use simply because I don't like the tint (I bought it before the first run of high CRI Rotary lights were available). If I did get a new light today, it would be a high CRI Clicky which is almost tempting at $296 before shipping.