HDS Systems #23

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the process of getting the "High Noon II" released. Give me a week or so. One of my weeks... not Henry's... at least that is what I'm shooting for.
The High Noon has been my favorite emitter and is what Henry carries. The High Noon II should be even better.
Hopefully I can get this to happen soon.
No. I won't give any more details until the release.

I'm in the process of getting the "High Noon II" released. Give me a week or so. One of my weeks... not Henry's... at least that is what I'm shooting for.
The High Noon has been my favorite emitter and is what Henry carries. The High Noon II should be even better.
Woaahhh!! Great news!

RPC

Newly Enlightened

Instantly less upset about having not found a legacy High Noon yet.

9A7C4A8B-E3E4-4B53-843A-D7F3ADE91C3E.jpeg

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Question for ya.

Why is the high noon your favorite, is it just personal preference or is that tint superior than others? If so in what ways.

Thanks!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for ya.

Why is the high noon your favorite, is it just personal preference or is that tint superior than others? If so in what ways.

Thanks!
I truly believe that tint is as much personal preference in flashlights as redheads, blondes, and brunettes... or taste in food is to the individual.
If the CRI is the same, then tint is just really what we like. Some like to see more red, some more yellow, and some neither. I've always been more partial to dark haired women with brown eyes myself... perhaps because I'm blonde with blue eyes. Who knows. I hate fish and seafood but will enjoy cooking a good rattler over the fire. Just a matter of taste... or lack there of.
I like the High Noon (5700k) as it mimics the Southern Arizona sun in the middle of the day when it is 110 out. To me, this is white and any tint below this starts to look yellow or red depending on the emitter. Those can be nice, and I have several different temps in lights, but if I could have only one... then I choose to mimic noon day sun here. The same reason Henry carries the High Noon himself in his lights.
Also, the higher temps appear brighter. It is a trick of the eye, but in my humble opinion, the higher temps (CRI being equal) seem to make things look sharper.
The lights I carried when I was a LEO and AZPOST firearms instructor were all higher color temps... though the CRI was not as good back then, and I would trade higher color temp for better CRI. That was over a decade ago.
Recently I have been taking an EMT class and will be going on later for paramedic (things we do when bored and want to keep the mind active) and I use a High Noon for this as it gives me a better idea when evaluating skin tone. I found in the past that too much red will make someone look healthy when they are actually pale. I have had nurses tell me the same thing down here. I gave my ex the choice between an NB45 and NC57 (high noon) and she immediately picked the NC57. She has been an ICU nurse for 3 decades and said the same thing as me regarding checking skin tone. Again, this could also be because of where we live and the surrounding landscape (sand and dirt here) in why Henry, my ex, and myself like the higher temps. When I think about, most of my friends here who have an HDS also have the 5700k. Someone from Sedona I'm sure would pick the NB45 99% of the time because of the red/pink rock they are accustomed to seeing. No science to back this up. Just my opinion and what I have observed.
The brain does have it's own white balance (not opinion) and will adjust things to look white that it thinks should be white.
The real problem comes in when we start, as I liked to put it in the past, crossing beams. When we start comparing tints side by side, it starts to mess with what our brain thinks is white. We can take a light we love, compare it to another and it starts to look worse and worse. We take that new light and do the same thing. We do this a few times and may find we are back to the light we originally loved (and I think this is due to the environment our eyes are used to). You can see this white balance when photos are taken of beam shots all together without the white balance being adjusted. What appears to be a nice white light in person can change to yellow, blue, green, with the other lights in the photo depending on what they are... then there is the white wall hunting... what actual "white" is that white wall? Eggshell, snow, gypsum... just look at all the different "whites" Sherwin-Williams has to offer. Which one is actually white and wouldn't that make a difference white wall hunting when checking color temp?

It really does just come down to personal preference when temp is concerned. Get what you like and don't second guess yourself. One of the joys of the hobby is to experiment and find out what works for you, what you like, don't like, and realizing those things can change.

One of the things I had to recently figure out is which emitters to put into 6 lights for myself. Finally getting around to making my special metal lights. I decided to put in all high CRI (that wasn't hard to figure out) and then figured on all different color temps, just to make it interesting. The caveat is, these lights won't get used but will sit in a display box I made for them... but will allow me to ignore my own advice and cross the beams when I feel particularly adventurous and want to mess with my brains white balance.

wayben

Newly Enlightened
I volunteer as an AEMT with a rural ambulance service. I carry a Seraph Mule that was built for me by Vinh at Sky Lumen (hope it's OK to mention a different brand, if not please delete). It has 12 emitters in it, three each of four different ones, all hi CRI and different color temps. I can hold it over my head and provide a wall of light that lights up a whole crash scene, with good color rendition and no hot spots. It works for me. I save my HDS's for EDC when I'm not working and don't have the huge pockets that First Responder pants provide.

Wayne

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great observation how comparing variations in color temperature and tint side by side will confound visual assessment. Using one single flashlight per nighttime outing seems like the way to go.

Do you want your light to resemble midday, setting or rising orb, influence from our ancient use of firelight?

When snow is on the ground, 5000K can work. For maximum enjoyment of the multiple different shades of brown our dogs display, 4000K to 4500K is the way.

Attachments

• 73F4A7D7-371F-4D72-ABCE-AD463F59E7A4.jpeg
    73F4A7D7-371F-4D72-ABCE-AD463F59E7A4.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 13E7A27F-C3CC-4D6B-B1F4-48BCABFF6B64.jpeg
    13E7A27F-C3CC-4D6B-B1F4-48BCABFF6B64.jpeg
    695 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my used Rotary 250 the other day from the same seller @jonathannnc did. It's great, I like it a lot. Some things I'd change if I were designing one but it's pretty close to an ideal pocket light for me. Hopefully I don't beat it up much as the old 2005 U2--hard to tell (SF's anodizing is indestructible) but that thing's fallen off rooftops and slid around garage floors since I got it used in 2009.

DSC_3829.JPG

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great observation how comparing variations in color temperature and tint side by side will confound visual assessment. Using one single flashlight per nighttime outing seems like the way to go.

Do you want your light to resemble midday, setting or rising orb, influence from our ancient use of firelight?

When snow is on the ground, 5000K can work. For maximum enjoyment of the multiple different shades of brown our dogs display, 4000K to 4500K is the way.

Wow, amazing a color temp change makes that dog look so different. :p

Last edited:

Latest posts