HDS Systems EDC # 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean it looks comparatively dimmer when set to the same output because the hot spot is less intense. If I put them both at max, then yes, the Rotary is quite obviously brighter.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean it looks comparatively dimmer when set to the same output because the hot spot is less intense. If I put them both at max, then yes, the Rotary is quite obviously brighter.

Apologies for I have misunderstood what you meant. I think I will have to try it out later this evening and see for myself. Haven't really paid attention to that.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I just did a "backyard walk-around" test and noticed a couple of things: first of all, the transition from hot spot to spill is a lot smoother than the older model high CRI (which uses, I think, a P4?) so it appears a more even brightness from edge to edge which makes for a really nice usable beam. But because it is floodier, it appears slightly dimmer overall than the high CRI, which I actually find a nice feature because even the high CRI's lowest mode seemed almost too bright in the middle of the night. Turning the Rotary on to full bright lights up pretty much my whole backyard (roughly 150x60 ft) and I can easily make out detail on the back fence, so it has plenty of "throw" for my purposes.
This is starting to sound very tempting, and although I've been interested right from the start, the newer and more balanced beam pattern sounds better for me, and probably 95% of users since most of us really don't need throw as much as we need to see what's around us as well as in front too.

Nice little mini-review there Mtn.Man!

nbp

Flashaholic
Am I the only one that has no interest in calling these lights the HDS EDC? It sounds like a program started by Roosevelt during the Depression. I still call it a Ra Clicky all the time, or maybe an HDS Clicky if I am really feeling forward thinking that day. But I never call it an HDS EDC. :shrug: Just a passing thought as I was thinking about when my new Clickies will arive. :popcorn:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is starting to sound very tempting, and although I've been interested right from the start, the newer and more balanced beam pattern sounds better for me, and probably 95% of users since most of us really don't need throw as much as we need to see what's around us as well as in front too.

Nice little mini-review there Mtn.Man!
Thanks for the comments.

While I love the Rotary's beam pattern and the rotary feature, I must admit, the cool white tint is driving me a little crazy, especially after using high CRI for almost a year. I was comparing the lights on my wife's garden last night, and the cool white lit things up really well, but the leaves looked varying shades of green whereas the high CRI revealed greens as well as browns and yellows. But on the flip side, warm high CRI tends to exaggerate reds a bit too much; for example, when trying to examine a rash on my son's back last week, the high CRI actually made the rash appear to blend in with his skin tones, so it's not perfect either.

I think what I really want is a nice neutral white that has a more even spectrum spread. To that end, I've been following this thread about adjusting tint using professional light gels and will see if I can get something I'm really happy with. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I must admit, the cool white tint is driving me a little crazy, especially after using high CRI for almost a year.

You're not alone there. I used to like standard cool tints (nothing special, just whatever they came with) however after spending some time with the rotary as my EDC I find myself wishing for neutral or warm lights, or at least something less cool. The one I have seems to be VERY cool.

Maybe it's a ploy to sell the High CRI versions when they're out :D

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying to convince myself that it's not a big deal and to just ignore it, but it's not working. :(

My wife keeps hinting that she'll be glad to take it off my hands as she prefers cool tints because they appear brighter, and she really digs the rotary control.

Girryn

Newly Enlightened
Anyone interested in modding rotaries? I am particularly interested in the adjustment of the reflector that someone was working on by shaving some of the body down so the bezel can sit closer.
EDIT: It was Bansuri

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone done a 200 clicky runtime on the lowest setting? Is it the same as the rotary (~6 days)?

bansuri

Enlightened
Anyone interested in modding rotaries? I am particularly interested in the adjustment of the reflector that someone was working on by shaving some of the body down so the bezel can sit closer.
EDIT: It was Bansuri
I have 2 now and still haven't hit the ringy jackpot, I've modded a few and none of them were anywhere near as bad as the one that Proflash got. While it's not the most perfect beam profile, I haven't had one in my possession that was worth chucking up. I will be performing some experiments soon, will post results if anything interesting is revealed.
The Rotary is by far my favorite cr123 light yet.

Where's the beef?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Rotary had its first drop. Fell about 5-feet onto a wooden floor and landed on the edge of the dial. Left a deep gouge in the floor. Not a mark on the light.

bansuri

Enlightened
Is it just a straightforward emitter swap without having to dig into things?
Here's a how-to.
Hardly straightforward, but it works if you're patient.
If you get stuck, pm me and I'll try to help.
The walkthrough assumes some familiarity with reflowing emitters and general modding.

Sent from

dtsoll

Enlightened
Just ordered a Rotary after being out of the "flashlight loop" for quite some time. Just in time for the getting dark earlier, halloween type season. It seems the season kinda gets my flashlight juices flowing. Anyway, Ive always liked henrys lights and cannot wait for the Rotary to show up!!! Doug:)

dtsoll

Enlightened
Batterystation.com I got the impression it was one of the last few he had, however. May be worth a shot if you are looking. Doug:)

Cavannus

Newly Enlightened
Am I the only one that has no interest in calling these lights the HDS EDC? It sounds like a program started by Roosevelt during the Depression. I still call it a Ra Clicky all the time, or maybe an HDS Clicky if I am really feeling forward thinking that day. But I never call it an HDS EDC. :shrug: Just a passing thought as I was thinking about when my new Clickies will arive. :popcorn:
Me too. I use to say "my Ra" or "my Clicky" about mine I bought in December 2010 (back then, was its name "EDC Clicky" or still "Ra Clicky"?).
"Ra" sounds cute :)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have never called mine an HDS EDC. I simply call it T200, or like your forward thinking....HDS T200.....but 99% of the time just T200.

Last edited:

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
I have never called mine an HDS EDC. I simply call it T200, or like your forward thinking....HDS T200.....but 99% of the time just T200.

I call mine "ice blue" as it has three blue trits installed around the battery tube . . . go Dremmel tool!

I love ice blue. . . and, the tint in NO LONGER BLUE!!!! Nice neutral tint. Ice Blue is my go to light for around the house duties. Perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.