HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassaquin

Enlightened
The cracking up can never be resolved. Wear and tear would happen with frequent use, especially so with a much thinner material than the raised tail cap.

I've had great results keeping tail cap boots supple and flexible by rubbing food grade diver's silicone on them several times a year.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did another runtime test, this time from max with the burst disabled using a new CR123 (3.15v). Unless I missed the thermal step down I got 1 hour and 8 minutes before step down (200 to 140 lumens), however each level after that held for about 4 minutes before dropping down and the low battery indicator still doesn't activate even after it drops below 55 lumens. Looking at the HDS website they claim 1.5 hours of runtime until the light drops below 55 lumens from the 200 lumen setting, this must be with the burst feature enabled because with it disabled it comes up short.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contacted HDS in regards to the low battery indicator not working. It's either a hardware or a software problem, either way the light would have to be returned to be evaluated. While disappointing I hope this is an isolated hardware issue with my light and not a software issue that may effect a batch of lights, others may want to check their lights to see if they have a similar issue. The indicator also activates when the light drops below 55 lumens unlike the previous generation which activated upon the light dropping out of the selected level. I verified this through HDS.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contacted HDS in regards to the low battery indicator not working. It's either a hardware or a software problem, either way the light would have to be returned to be evaluated. While disappointing I hope this is an isolated hardware issue with my light and not a software issue that may effect a batch of lights, others may want to check their lights to see if they have a similar issue. The indicator also activates when the light drops below 55 lumens unlike the previous generation which activated upon the light dropping out of the selected level. I verified this through HDS.

I don't have a late model HDS, however the early model (initial one's manufactured) Rotary had a software glitch. Called Henry to verify the problem, sent it to him per his instructions. Total turn around was somewhere round a week.

In regards to run time, never checked it since I install a fresh AW RCR in it (when we're working) before starting my night.

redryder

Enlightened

For the new lights, does the low battery indicator happen if you have a weak battery and select a level BELOW 55 lumens. Or does it happen only if you try to select a level higher than 55 lumens.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the new lights, does the low battery indicator happen if you have a weak battery and select a level BELOW 55 lumens. Or does it happen only if you try to select a level higher than 55 lumens.

If the weak battery is capable of powering the selected level below 55 lumens then no, the indicator wouldn't blink. Once the battery can no longer supply the power required to maintain the level selected it will drop a level, once this happens and if the level is below 55 lumens then the indicator will activate.

Jakarta

Newly Enlightened
Re: When did you order your HDS?

Perhaps a bit out of topic, but I'll ask anyway...
I need a replacement rubber cap for my Clicky HDS.
However, ordering it direct from Henry will incur massive shipping cost (to Indonesia, where I live).
Are there any online shops that carry HDS spare parts with reasonable shipping costs? I would like to order several rubber caps and pocket clips to reduce shipping cost-per-item and to keep as spare.

Your inputs will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

hjkl

Newly Enlightened

Perhaps a bit out of topic, but I'll ask anyway...
I need a replacement rubber cap for my Clicky HDS.
However, ordering it direct from Henry will incur massive shipping cost (to Indonesia, where I live).
Are there any online shops that carry HDS spare parts with reasonable shipping costs? I would like to order several rubber caps and pocket clips to reduce shipping cost-per-item and to keep as spare.

Your inputs will be much appreciated. Thanks.
A standard 14mm silicone boot would probably work in a pinch, but it would feel mushy without modification since the internal nib is not flush with the bottom of the boot like the stock boot is; at least the one I have. Also not sure what the OD of the brim of the stock boot is since I didn't remove the retaining ring to measure it.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine are all flush buttons, but in the pic above, it looks like the tactical button is "filled in" to activate the same switch that the flush button does. You may be able to fill in a standard replacement button with Dow silicone cement (look for bathtub caulking section at the hardware) to get the proper feel, assuming it fits otherwise.

Starik1

Newly Enlightened

What's a good diffuser to use with this light? Mine is a clicky with acme threads, if that matters.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Surefire F04 works really well. It fits very securely on my ACME threaded Clicky.

Starik1

Newly Enlightened
The "legacy" bezels are a little bit smaller than the ACME versions ... but a Poland Spring water bottle cap works for those rather well :D
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking for something a little more "high end" though. I'll give the Surefire diffuser a shot.

Tracker II

Enlightened

What's a good diffuser to use with this light? Mine is a clicky with acme threads, if that matters.

I cut out a piece of diffuser film by drawing a circle around a dime and cut just inside of it. To make sure I could remove it if desired, I put it against my shirt several times to get some dust and lint on it so there was just a wee bit of tackiness left. This film works so well for my purposes however, I may never take it off.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

I second the bottled water cap diffuser recommendation. Effective, cheap, and easily replaceable should you lose it.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't like the way water bottle caps emit light out the side of the cap, though I guess this spreads the light out further. I even tried darkening the sides with a sharpie and spray paint, but still wasn't satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.