HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
45 percent?! That's huge. I didn't think there was that much difference between a 16340 and a 18350.

I wish he would work on a longer throw light rather then this. But he's the man so.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree RE. the form factor (which I like as well. carry my Rotary's in a Kydex holster). I posted this previously; when I asked Henry about the runtime difference between an AW IMR 16340 and a AW IMR 18350. He advised there was a 45% increase! That is, IMO, a significant advantage when a person like myself who carry, and use the light through out the night (work).

Pops

My AW IMR 800mAh 18350 only gives me about 30mAh over the protected Fenix 700mAh Fenix 16340 I use but the batteries Lithium466 linked to are giving about 400mAh more so that's a big improvement, about 57% better.
Using a primary Panasonic Lithium Industrial 1400mAh (tested 1556mAh @ 1A), about 120% better than the Fenix 16340.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been almost a year since Henry told me over lunch that he is definitely going to change the light tubes over to 18350 capability, but not sure exactly when it will be. I'll wait and let it happen when it happens, but I'm definitely looking forward to any capacity increase that doesn't make the light any larger.

Just had a look inside a 16340 and 18650 tube and the only major difference appears to be the thickness of the plastic insert unless underneath it there's a difference in the bore of the aluminium tube but it doesn't appear so.
In theory it should be a pretty quick and easy change to make the 16340 tubes with the same but shorter dimensions as the 18650 and allow for 18350.
I assume that HDS is probably looking at ways to accommodate both 16 and 18mm nicely without the need for a sleeve. Also it's worth noting that the protected Keeppower linked to by Lithium466 is 4.1mm longer than the protected Fenix 16340 if that matters.

Lithium466

Enlightened
I think it might matter. The 16340 tube is already pretty tight with long 16340, but it's probably just a question of adjusting the springs.

But what we could realistically get (not in 5 years...) is 16340 batteries which benefits from the improvements of the 18350...or 18650. After all 16340 are pretty much stuck under/around 750mAh, while 18650 went from ~2200 to 3500+mAh.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it might matter. The 16340 tube is already pretty tight with long 16340, but it's probably just a question of adjusting the springs.

But what we could realistically get (not in 5 years...) is 16340 batteries which benefits from the improvements of the 18350...or 18650. After all 16340 are pretty much stuck under/around 750mAh, while 18650 went from ~2200 to 3500+mAh.

I think you're probably right about a spring modification, I was thinking the same thing.
Prior to getting the Fenix 700mAh 16340 (718mAh @ 1A) I was using AW 750mAh protected 16340 that tested 538mAh @ 1A so while not as impressive as the 18350 (/18650) improvements the 180mAh extra of the Fenix is a decent bonus.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Just had a look inside a 16340 and 18650 tube and the only major difference appears to be the thickness of the plastic insert unless underneath it there's a difference in the bore of the aluminium tube but it doesn't appear so.
In theory it should be a pretty quick and easy change to make the 16340 tubes with the same but shorter dimensions as the 18650 and allow for 18350.
I assume that HDS is probably looking at ways to accommodate both 16 and 18mm nicely without the need for a sleeve. Also it's worth noting that the protected Keeppower linked to by Lithium466 is 4.1mm longer than the protected Fenix 16340 if that matters.
My hopes had been that since there were already other lights capable of taking both cells that he would just give us a new tube, but being Henry, he wanted the 16340 to still be held as tightly as they are at present and was trying to figure out a method to adjust cell tightness without the customer having to carry an extra shim/liner. Those were his stated goals, but he wasn't sure how he was going to accomplish it at the time.

I'm looking into getting some of the Fenix cells you mentioned in the meantime.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
My hopes had been that since there were already other lights capable of taking both cells that he would just give us a new tube, but being Henry, he wanted the 16340 to still be held as tightly as they are at present and was trying to figure out a method to adjust cell tightness without the customer having to carry an extra shim/liner. Those were his stated goals, but he wasn't sure how he was going to accomplish it at the time.

I'm looking into getting some of the Fenix cells you mentioned in the meantime.

I thought he'd be looking into a design that could accommodate 16 and 18mm cells without a sleeve. Once he works it out the 16340 batteries will be redundant for the most part but keeping the 16mm capability will be nice for using CR123.

The Fenix ARB-L16-700 16340 are worth getting for sure.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how practical it would be to create a delrin/pom/etc sleeve that has one or more neodymium magnets embedded at one end to hold the sleeve in place so it doesn't easily fall out? And one would be able to stick their finger into the sleeve & extract it for use with a larger 18350 cell when needed. The sleeve would be nonconductive & would serve to protect the communication wire between the head & tail as well.

Although I wonder if the small localized magnetic field would have a negative affect on the electronics in the tail?

My understanding is that Henry wants to keep the design as foolproof as possible & the majority of the sold lights are used with CR123a cells so his "loyalty" to making the light CR123a/16340 as the primary form factor is still the primary design consideration.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how practical it would be to create a delrin/pom/etc sleeve that has one or more neodymium magnets embedded at one end to hold the sleeve in place so it doesn't easily fall out? And one would be able to stick their finger into the sleeve & extract it for use with a larger 18350 cell when needed. The sleeve would be nonconductive & would serve to protect the communication wire between the head & tail as well.

Although I wonder if the small localized magnetic field would have a negative affect on the electronics in the tail?

My understanding is that Henry wants to keep the design as foolproof as possible & the majority of the sold lights are used with CR123a cells so his "loyalty" to making the light CR123a/16340 as the primary form factor is still the primary design consideration.

Maybe something as simple as including some protruding flaps on the plastic insert that would cradle a 16mm cell and fold in flush with an 18mm one?

MosesEDC

Newly Enlightened
As we pass "mid-January" has anyone heard if the parts are in? I want to order my light :D. Thanks!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As we pass "mid-January" has anyone heard if the parts are in? I want to order my light :D. Thanks!

I spoke with Henry today as we are finalizing our plans for SHOT Show, and the parts are expected to be in shortly after we get back from Vegas.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope Henry and Hogo have fun at SHOT. Always look forward to videos of their booth!

Just want to let everyone know that my old "Ra" 140N is now on its 4TH Led. Used the hell out of this light stock, lots of camping, hiking, biking. Then it went to Scott/Milkyspit several years ago for an emitter upgrade: scott bored the heatsink for a 2mm thick 10mm pcb and installed a very nice neutral white xp-e r2 that he was able to find (this was 2012-ish??? I think).

A few years go by and cree introduces the xpg, and later the xpg-2. I found a wonderfully neutral tint xpg2 r5 in 3C bin.

Just sat down with my soldering iron last night, and tried a new xpg2, S4 bin and 5B tint.

Same beam pattern as the older R5 xpg2, but a bit warmer. So I wanted to see how the Light OP reflector did with a dedomed led, so I managed to catefully use a razor to dedome a second xpg2S4 5B.

I've never been able to capture beamshots with the cameras I have, but its a very punch center beam that fades very smoothly into an even spill light. Noticeably more punch than when domed, which is always nice.

To recap, I've used this light for everything from hiking/camping, had it weapon mounted on my m4 and later m4a1 through every kind of training exercise I participated in, used it overseas when deployed, and nownI have a mount for it on my hard hat working in the oil field.

I've had one hiccup, and Henry took care of me several years after I bought this lamp, the little button in the original tail cap started missing clicks. I sent Henry my tail cap, and he sent me a replacement, and its been untold #'s of clicks later and we are smooth sailing.

I've bought dozens of other lights over the years, and always end up coming back to this light as my go-to, every day.

Strintguy

Enlightened
John_Galt, thanks for your post. I was just wondering if anyone put a de-domed emitter in an HDS, anyone heard of and XPL hi in one?

Status
Not open for further replies.