HDS Systems EDC #21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
Can you guys help me with a problem?

My executive EDC flush button seems to be stuck in some SOS flashing mode. When I installed a new battery the light came on immediately, it was bright for 10 seconds or so, then it completely turned off. Then it went into this flashing mode that looks like SOS. The only way I can stop it is to unscrew the battery compartment. When I screw it back together the whole process repeats. What is wrong with this light?

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I think I figured it out. I swapped to another battery and it kept stepping down when I went to high but that battery was showing close to a full charge. I went to a third battery and it seems to be working fine now. That first battery, when I put it on the charger Showed 3.7 so I'm guessing that was the problem. But that second battery I tried was showing 4.0V, but the flashlight was still stepping down when I tried to hold it on high. That second battery was a Nitecore 16340 650maH. Now I'm running Keeppower 16340 700maH and it's fine.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS recommend that you only put fully charged cells into your light. If you put spent cells in, the light assumes that you have primaries in and needs to be reset so that it cuts off at sensible voltage to protect your li-ions. Unscrew the head while the light is on and replace. The light will show a dim light for about 10 secs and then switch off. You should also do this when changing from Li-ions to primaries.
The first two cells you used were flat, if one showed 3.7v on the charger, it's voltage onder load would be lees than that, same goes for the 4v one. Also, most charger voltage measurements are higher than they really are due to the voltage being applied by the chatger. The only way to get a sensible measurement is to use a meter.
P

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS recommend that you only put fully charged cells into your light.

This is really just good advice for flashlights, period. Any light with a wide enough operating voltage range probably contains some sort of logic that attempts to determine if the cell inserted is a li-ion rechargeable (that needs to be kept above a certain voltage always) or a primary cell that will be trashed after use. Don't confuse your elves people! Only feed them fully charged cells.

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
Never mind. I'm back to square one, this light is seriously fried. It's doing it again, with fully charged batteries of multiple different brands. I can't get it to do a factory reset, I can't get it to do anything other than light up for 10 seconds or so then it goes off then it goes into this strange SOS mode, and the light is completely unusable, doesn't respond to any of my clicks.

I had somebody else check out battery it was not below 3.7 V. I always have fresh batteries for this light, I have at least 8 available 16340 lights from keeppower that I constantly rotate, the light always has a relatively fresh battery. Something else is wrong here. Let me add that this happened after I dropped the light from about 2 feet.

When th cells come off my XTAR charger they are all at 4.2 or 4.3 V.

Last edited:

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed something else. When I install a new battery as soon as I start twisting the head on to the body the light comes on but when I finally get to the last portion of the threads and I cinch the head to the body the light gets slightly brighter. Does that mean anything?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clean the contacts and threads. If the light continues to misbehave, contact HDS and send it in under warranty and we will take care of it.

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
Clean the contacts and threads. If the light continues to misbehave, contact HDS and send it in under warranty and we will take care of it.

Great advice sir. When you say contacts does that mean any of the surfaces inside the head, or just the threads and leading edge of the body? I can see a faint ring of silicone inside the head.

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
The threads were dirty, but nothing out rages. I cleaned them and then when I put the light back together it stays constant on low, and the buttons have no effect.

I'll reach out to you guys sometime next week, thanks for your support.

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
The light seems to work with some functions if I don't turn their head all the way down to the body. I think something came loose when I dropped it. I'll quit hogging up the forum, just wanted to leave that one last comment. 😀. I mean it is my all-time favorite light you know. 😁

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads were dirty, but nothing out rages. I cleaned them and then when I put the light back together it stays constant on low, and the buttons have no effect.

I'll reach out to you guys sometime next week, thanks for your support.

No problem. It definitely sounds like Henry needs to take a good look at it.

moltenmag

Enlightened
Since February 10 until July 20 (5 months and 10 days) there were nearly 3000 posts... nearly 19 posts a day.

el1izp.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of operating the emergency exit in case of water landing, someone over the wing will press the (hopefully flush) switch boot to signal rescue crews. With any luck, the D preset will be programmed for the pulsating strobe.

moltenmag

Enlightened
Instead of operating the emergency exit in case of water landing, someone over the wing will press the (hopefully flush) switch boot to signal rescue crews. With any luck, the D preset will be programmed for the pulsating strobe.

Ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of the Little Elves I ask that you please direct your attention to the strobe beacon above as we review the emergency procedures. There are six emergency flush buttons on this aircraft. Take a minute to locate the flush button closest to you. Note that the nearest button may be behind you. Count the number of Nichia 219b emitters to this button. Should the battery tube experience sudden pressure loss, stay calm and listen for instructions from the Little Elves in the main cabin. Orange Peel Reflectors will drop down from above your seat. Place the reflector over your mouth and nose, like this. Pull the strap to tighten it. If you are traveling with children, make sure that your own reflector is on first before helping your children. In the unlikely event of an emergency landing and evacuation, leave your HDS Accessories behind. Thor's Hammer hand stitched flotation devices are located below your seats and emergency F91HG 4500k LEDs will lead you to your closest flush button and slide. We ask that you make sure that all HDS Batteries are stowed away safely during the flight. While we wait for take off, please take a moment to review the HDS User Manual in the seat pocket in front of you.

Last edited:

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
This is what these three lights look like from about 10 feet away at full power. The 300 lumen 3900k has a larger hot spot with a more gradual transition to spill than the other lights, but I did not capture an image of that at distance. You need to see it at about 30 feet or so to appreciate it.

The 300 lumen light is what I will subjectively call "quite warm" with a bit of yellowish orange tint. I like it as I wanted just a bit more light. I will most likely run the 3900k on my 18650 tube.

q7Te9x2.jpg
[/IMG]

200 4k
qHg3Yr2.jpg
[/IMG]

High Noon
AeBboGS.jpg
[/IMG]

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
Great shots. Which one do you carry everyday?

I have not figured out yet, but I think I will use the 300 lumen with the 18650 tube to preflight the aircraft and alternate the other two as pocket carries based on my mood.

I like the pulsating strobe mode as I walk across the ramp to dodge all the crazy ramp drivers!

Last edited:

Lithium466

Enlightened
Out of curiosity, is such a thing as a 200 with GDP emitter ever existed? If yes, did this one outthrow the current 250 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.