HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's interesting new info, kind of makes the tactical more appealing. I have no need for strobes but having a shorter range of motion could be rewarding...hmmm

TomK85

Newly Enlightened
That's interesting new info, kind of makes the tactical more appealing. I have no need for strobes but having a shorter range of motion could be rewarding...hmmm

Indeed tempting!! Although my first new HDS is gonna be a clicky. Like that you can use a sleek pocket clip.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to take this moment to explain, clarify, and to generally make a record of something in regards to emitters and sphere data that I publish here and in other places regarding HDS.

This is how HDS "Cherry Picks" the sphere data we capture and I post.

We take several (often 20 or more) built light heads with whatever particular emitter we are testing. We take the first one, put a tail on it and into the sphere it goes and the results are noted. This is repeated until the tray is depleted. If we decided that these are worthy of going into the HDS line, Henry picks the WORST one to screen capture and the lowest CRI value. Why? Because if the worst is what is advertised, you can't be unpleasantly surprised. If 25% are 96 CRI 50% 95 CRI and 25% 94C CRI, they get listed as 94-95 CRI.

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as you know Henry has always been conservative in his measurements whether it is output, run time, etc.
The only thing Henry has ever been optimistic on is the length of two weeks.

I'm sure you even remember a run of lights where the emitter manufacturer claimed they were "High CRI" but when Henry tested them, they didn't make above 90 so he would not sell them as High CRI.

So, that is how we "Cherry Pick"... from the real world of HDS and not the fantasy fairy land of someones feelings.

LGT

Enlightened
I thought I was going to like the tactical, but I didn't. I just didn't like how big of portion of the dial the momentary strobe had and it being between momentary maximum and the adjustable brightness. I had a bad habit of accidentally going to strobe when turning up brightness. For me, I think swapping the momentary strobe and the momentary maximum would have been preferable.
That used to bug me too. But I customized it to first setting at the lowest level, and the second setting at the highest level. Now when I use the rotary from the first setting, strobe is at the end of the dial. I also like the shorter turning of the rotary to ramp up to max output.
Just read some on customizing the tactical. There is a customizing optional section and you can switch positions A and B, which would put max output before strobe, guess I did this without even knowing.

Last edited:

CHNeal

Enlightened
So I've never really considered myself a collector, more of a user that enjoys the merits of a quality tool. That goes for flashlights and knives. Yesterday I picked up a rather rare clickie here on the WTS and it's kinda making me think about collecting...
so a question for those of you that actively collect. How do you feel about collecting users or putting it another way , using your collection?

i ask because my initial thought on picking up the Nichia 140 4200k 219a yesterday was to put the diffuser lens on it and dedicate it to bed side duty..." sacrilege "? I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the value of something being more then it's usefulness.

thoughts

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've never really considered myself a collector, more of a user that enjoys the merits of a quality tool. That goes for flashlights and knives. Yesterday I picked up a rather rare clickie here on the WTS and it's kinda making me think about collecting...
so a question for those of you that actively collect. How do you feel about collecting users or putting it another way , using your collection?

i ask because my initial thought on picking up the Nichia 140 4200k 219a yesterday was to put the diffuser lens on it and dedicate it to bed side duty..." sacrilege "? I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the value of something being more then it's usefulness.

thoughts

It's an awesome light, use it all the time.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulatiopns on getting that Clicky, you'll enjoy it.
I use all my lights, which indlude 3 HDSs.
HDSs are built to be used, I don't see a lot of merit in just keeping them to lust over, as they are built to fulfill a function.
I must admit that if I had one of the special metal ones I'd be scared to take it out of the house, as I almost lose one of my lights for a couple of days every week.
Have fun and don't fret it, is my advice.
P

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

I found that I collect HDS lights to use. All of my HDS lights - 5 now - have the same Executive interface and software 2.18. Makes them easy to remember/use. They vary in LED and outer body material only. Last week I added my first Rotary, HDS light #6, for use during the day as I wanted more than four lumen levels at my instant disposal.

Since I am only one person I tend to rotate these lights and keep them well protected in THCL holsters when carrying.

Last edited:

Stoneking

Enlightened
How do you feel about collecting users or putting it another way , using your collection?

I've always had the mindset that if it's not useful or used then get rid of it...
Over the past couple years that remains, with one exception, HDS Lights. I've been building back up a collection and I do use them, just not as much as I would consider useful and I'm far more protective of them. But they're not going anywhere, I've sold a few in the past but I won't be doing that anymore.

Lithium466

Enlightened
So a question for those of you that actively collect. How do you feel about collecting users or putting it another way , using your collection?

thoughts
Nice catch! These lights sure went up in value, I think the initial price was $129 or $149.

I have special night duty HDS...should I be ashamed? It's originally a GD+ 140 modded with a high CRI, quad die Luxeon, and a slightly diffusing film. Perfect for nightstand duty!
Like others, I don't see a lot of merit in shelf queens...except the special.material runs maybe...but I have too many lights to use them all so it is sometimes inevitable :whistle:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a few HDS lights. Guess I am something in between a HDS user and collector. I use all my HDS. Currently my Bare Al is my daily friend, but in a few weeks it may be a high noon...?

nbp

Flashaholic
Definitely use it. That doesn't mean you have to trash it, but IMO all flashlights should get used. Otherwise we could just have people knurl us some bar stock to set on shelves and we could save money and leave all the electronics out! That said, I don't think it's bad to program specific lights for specific uses. If you want to set that one up especially for tasks at home and have a different light for EDC that's perfectly reasonable.

Strintguy

Enlightened
Just wanted to share a little story. The other day my daughter was using one of my HDS Rotaries and dropped it on our wood floor. My wife exclaimed
" Is it all right?" and my daughter looked concerned and then said, " no the floor is fine"… I've taught her well

• Love
Reactions: RPC

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also like to have a HDS with a yellow-green LED. The "green color" that Surefire is using in the Surefire Kroma MILSPEC and Surefire Aviator YG. THe wavelength should be 565nm.

Here is one 3535 LED in this wavelength:
https://www.ledsales.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2266

The current green HDS is more a "pure green".

-----
Also still my idea of different colored HA (i.e. Blue, Red, Green, Pink). Surefire did this in the past for their pens. Darksucks has a Beta Flashlight with different colored HA. Therefore maybe an idea for 2021 0r 2022?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.