HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHNeal

Enlightened
Received my impulse buy 140 yesterday and i am now officially an HDS collector! I had forgotten just how much i liked the 219a emitter. It just produces such nice light. No harshness just that sweet creamy slightly rose tinted goodness that I fell for so many years ago. I have out fitted it with the HDS diffuse reflector placed it into service as my in the house light.
Ive also decided to have a 4500K 219B put into another HDS for my edc light. The high noon will stay as my work light.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love a polymer HDS, just throwing my name into the hat. :D

Not privy to the inner workings of HDS lights of course, but given a generic HDS clicky light, I figure a polymer based body would certainly work for the output. Conceivably, the light would tick most of the things required to be an HDS success - except being a rotary.

Hogo - whatever happened to this "bumblebee" light? Certainly, advances in polymer based bodies have moved beyond the NovaTac time period...

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the idea of a polymer light is not bad. But my opinion is that the durability will be not better. Even if it is a very good polymer. The wear will be higher in compare to a metal body. At least this is my guess.
But I like the idea. A lemon yellow HDS would be cool :cool:

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend shot this video, the Rehbinder effect is clearly. This is a rubber watchband and regular ethyl alcohol. It remains only to find out what substances affect the rubber of which HDS rubber caps are composed.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the idea of a polymer light is not bad.

Says the guy currently searching for an orange G2. :)

I'm kidding with you of course, but...

warrioroflight said:
But my opinion is that the durability will be not better. Even if it is a very good polymer. The wear will be higher in compare to a metal body. At least this is my guess.
But I like the idea. A lemon yellow HDS would be cool :cool:

Honestly, why wouldn't the durability be better, or at least on par with the aluminum version? How many polymer based lights have you personally known to have had a failure due to a durability issue? Plus, I'd take polymer body durability over all these "special metal" body runs. Much lighter to carry, except maybe versus the titanium version, but there's no logical way a polymer bodied HDS light would cost over $1000. :whistle:

Rather than another stagnant "special metal" body run designed for ~20 customers, why not build something actually innovative for the brand? Or would this be something akin to the HDS headlamp?

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Says the guy currently searching for an orange G2. :)

But the importantpoint is this HDS should be in yellow. My Z2 Needs a friend in the same Color. My Z2 does not like the same sized black Friends that much:

qW94Lm1.jpg

Normalls this Z2 is alone :D

eR6cvbN.jpg

Honestly, why wouldn't the durability be better, or at least on par with the aluminum version? How many polymer based lights have you personally known to have had a failure due to a durability issue? Plus, I'd take polymer body durability over all these "special metal" body runs. Much lighter to carry, except maybe versus the titanium version, but there's no logical way a polymer bodied HDS light would cost over $1000. :whistle:
Manufacturing such a polymer light is way more complicated. You need to make outer polymer body parts that than fits perfectly on a metal tube. The head and body Needs some metal for the Electric current… Than the number of parts will be higher that Needs to be machined.

Or

The Polymer light is created in the same way like the i.e. the Surefire G2 is made. You have some metal parts that will be placed in a mold and the liquid polimer will be pressed into the mold. But I think making this molds is extremely expensive. More expensive than making a unique (only one unique) HDS light with a metal of your choice.

But the idea with the polymer HDS is still interesting.

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Manufacturing such a polymer light is way more complicated. You need to make outer polymer body parts that than fits perfectly on a metal tube. The head and body Needs some metal for the Electric current… Than the number of parts will be higher that Needs to be machined.

Or

The Polymer light is created in the same way like the i.e. the Surefire G2 is made. You have some metal parts that will be placed in a mold and the liquid polimer will be pressed into the mold. But I think making this molds is extremely expensive. More expensive than making a unique (only one unique) HDS light with a metal of your choice.

But the idea with the polymer HDS is still interesting.

I think HDS uses a little channel with a wire for contact. Shouldn't be an issue. :D

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think HDS uses a little channel with a wire for contact. Shouldn't be an issue. :D
Guess this is an issue. The metal body is used as a contact between head and battery. The wire contact is the signal contact to the rotary button or button if it is a clicky.
It is the same with the old Novatacs. This spring was used as 2nd contact for signaling on-off.

If the body is a polymer than a conductor is needed to replace the metal body. The wird you pictured is also needed. To replace the conductor that is the metal body the idea was using a metal sleeve like it is in the Surefire Nitrolon lights.

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Guess this is an issue. The metal body is used as a contact between head and battery. The wire contact is the signal contact to the rotary button or button if it is a clicky.
It is the same with the old Novatacs. This spring was used as 2nd contact for signaling on-off.

If the body is a polymer than a conductor is needed to replace the metal body. The wird you pictured is also needed. To replace the conductor that is the metal body the idea was using a metal sleeve like it is in the Surefire Nitrolon lights.

Ah I gotcha, makes sense. Thought I was on to something lol.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will bring it up with Henry.
I know doing a mold with metal internals is ungodly expensive as I knew the guy who was producing the X7 (Kaiser) rifle. Jaw dropping expensive.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's to keeping the new customer attracting, lighter, innovational, and non-$256/$1000+ HDS dream light alive!!
That is always good having one high quality light for a more affordable price in the product lineup. I could imagin with a polymer light this may be possible.
But I guess the "high" price for a HDS is all parts are done in small batches. That makes everything expensive.

I know doing a mold with metal internals is ungodly expensive as I knew the guy who was producing the X7 (Kaiser) rifle. Jaw dropping expensive.
That is cool. It could also possible doing different colors of light without extra cost. If i.e. The green ones are sold out the next bat h is blue.... Blue? No yellow :D

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting for the head lamp and something that can eat 1 * AA / 14500. If I need a plastic HDS, then I wrap it with electrical tape:D You can use layers of different colors and as you wear on the inside, a different color will slip through, like Japanese fountain pens (example Nakaya)

negoro002.jpg

negoro001.jpg

As an option, you can make edges along the edges of the lamp, fill the central part with varnish and use either carbon fiber, as suggested, plastic, or varnish, or pieces of raden shells, gold, diamonds... something in the style of Liberace. That would be amazing!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two things.

After a year and a half of using my executive with the mode memory (disable preset, or whatever it's called), I've finally returned that setting to default. Now it always switches on to the B preset. I find I enjoy the flashlight much more this way. Most of the time it's the right amount of light for me and I always know what to expect. Only one click required!

Second, I've noticed that the same executive flashlight flickers when pseudo momentary is enabled and I hold the button down for maximum output. When I disable pseudo momentary, the beam is steady like normal. I'm not terribly vexed since I don't typically use pseudo momentary, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Status
Not open for further replies.