HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two things.

...I've noticed that the same executive flashlight flickers when pseudo momentary is enabled and I hold the button down for maximum output. When I disable pseudo momentary, the beam is steady like normal. I'm not terribly vexed since I don't typically use pseudo momentary, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

No I have not. Pseudo momentary is enabled on my Executives and I get a solid steady light with no flickering.

Pseudo Momentary is when a press and hold from off acts in a momentary fashion.

If your issue is easily repeatable, contact Henry via email and he will instruct you on what to do.

Edit add: Make sure to test the issue with a fresh, fully charged battery. My HDS lights do some unusual things on the special features when the battery is low - like step down from max almost immediately on a pseudo momentary.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I just tried the same experiment with my rotary and the beam is normal under the same circumstances. I'll fire up the executive with a fresh battery and see if it makes a difference.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
We interrupt this program to announce that I am a very special genius. I've deftly resolved the issue by unscrewing the tail cap assembly, removing the spent power source, then skillfully inserting a fresh power source into the void that, till recently, was occupied by the exhausted power source. I really impress myself sometimes.

I'll show myself out now.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not feel bad at all.

I had a similar issue with my recently upgraded Titanium Executive. Was using it with the original battery Henry put in it for about a month or two. Went to use pseudo momentary and it stepped down from max almost immediately and then stepped down again. I thought, oh no, I would hate to have to send this back to Henry and be without it for a period of time. Then, my brain said "how long has that battery been in the light?". I tested the battery with my ZTS battery tester and low and behold it was at 20%. Put in a new battery and no more problem.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
We interrupt this program to announce that I am a very special genius. I've deftly resolved the issue by unscrewing the tail cap assembly, removing the spent power source, then skillfully inserting a fresh power source into the void that, till recently, was occupied by the exhausted power source. I really impress myself sometimes.

I'll show myself out now.
Don't feel too bad. My brother once rebuilt the carburetors on his motorcycle a second time because he thought they weren't working. Turns out it had run out of gas.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I have two twisty lights and unfortunately they have issues with output level switching. I sent one in for repair a while back and it returned working as it should, but only for a while before it began only having one level of output again instead of three. I really like the twisty lights but the issues put a black cloud over them.

Same here. I pulled the signal wires back up, but they quickly went back to 1 level.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Question about the rotary. I recently got my first rotary and I love it. I haven't misused it or anything but recently it's started clicking quite noticeably when I use the rotary feature. Is this normal? When I first got it, it was silent. It's been about a week now and it's quite loud and I can physically feel the small clicks too.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also recently got a Rotary and it noticeably clicks when turning the dial counter clockwise any faster than one light level at a time. In the clockwise direction the rotary is silky smooth and in the counter clockwise direction there is no clicking sound if the dial is moved slowly one lumen level at a time.

I imagine the noise is coming from the fingers as they go over the circuit board in that one direction. The noise could be a new light break in sound until the fingers and the circuit board dance together for a while.

The light works fine though.

Last edited:

gravelrash

Enlightened
The light works fine though.

I had a similar issue, but my rotary was noisy and scratchy in both directions. If it is working fine I recommend you not worry about it. Mine started to misbehave, often flashing bright or blinking off while turning the rotary, so I emailed HDS. Henry asked me to send it in and it was repaired. It took a few weeks (so I just used one of my, "spare" HDS lights) but it is working perfectly now. HDS will stand by their product.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friends, I've found a new level of enjoyment with my sw45 executive. It switches on to 8 lumens. I have found this to be adequate for almost every task for several weeks. I did turn it down to a sub lumen level a couple of times. It's an odd sort of fun on a forum like this. For me, somehow less is more. No disrespect intended for you fellas who appreciate mega bright lights. I'm just having fun my way.

:grin2:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friends, I've found a new level of enjoyment with my sw45 executive. It switches on to 8 lumens. I have found this to be adequate for almost every task for several weeks. I did turn it down to a sub lumen level a couple of times. It's an odd sort of fun on a forum like this. For me, somehow less is more. No disrespect intended for you fellas who appreciate mega bright lights. I'm just having fun my way.

You've discovered "Archimedes' Peak".

My rotary is programmed to start at about 12 lumens.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question about the rotary. I recently got my first rotary and I love it. I haven't misused it or anything but recently it's started clicking quite noticeably when I use the rotary feature. Is this normal? When I first got it, it was silent. It's been about a week now and it's quite loud and I can physically feel the small clicks too.
I have an older Rotary bought shortly after they were first introduced to the market that exhibits this same quirk. It works fine, but it just doesn't turn with the silky smooth pleasantness that I would like. My other Rotary is slightly newer from the first run of high CRI Rotaries, and it has no mechanical issues.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new 18650 rotary tube from the latest batch has a clicky noise and I can feel the small clicks. Functions fine.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is not surprising when you consider your avatar :)

however, this is also my main level, or so

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've found a new level of enjoyment with my sw45 executive. It switches on to 8 lumens. I have found this to be adequate for almost every task for several weeks. I did turn it down to a sub lumen level a couple of times. It's an odd sort of fun on a forum like this. For me, somehow less is more.
I knew it was just a matter of time before the low level outputs would be seen in a different light. :grin2:

Status
Not open for further replies.