HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

klackey

Enlightened
I am very much looking forward to this upgrade. I never thought about it much but have noticed the tails of my lights do get dinged up over time. Now, I just have waite until a new emmiter comes along to make a purchase.... have all the current offerings. Makeing a great product even stronger.

nbp

Flashaholic
IKR? I've probably owned more than a dozen HDS over the past decade.

I hear that D! I've had about the same. (Currently have a Rotary, two Clickies and an Action Light). I need another flashlight like I need a hole in the head. But the special metal HDS runs were too rich for my blood, and hearing that there is no HA-NAT coming, which I was hoping for, these fun Silvertail Rotaries were too much to pass up. So I just placed an order for a 325 NLT STR (silvertail rotary? Haha). Should be a cool combo of hardcore user and limited collector.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can access level C of the executive, clicky, from level A without having to turn the flashlight off. You just cannot do it the first time. So, if you turn the flashlight on an go to level A and then attempt to go directly to level C with two clicks, it will not work. You will get to level B instead. However, if you go to level A next, from that level B, you can successfully go directly to level C with two clicks each and every time untiil you turn the flashlight off.

That at is my story and I am sticking to it.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's right. It works.

You can access level C of the executive, clicky, from level A without having to turn the flashlight off. You just cannot do it the first time. So, if you turn the flashlight on an go to level A and then attempt to go directly to level C with two clicks, it will not work. You will get to level B instead. However, if you go to level A next, from that level B, you can successfully go directly to level C with two clicks each and every time untiil you turn the flashlight off.

That at is my story and I am sticking to it.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today in my old bag I found a fresnel lens 3X. Size of a credit card. I decided to play with different lights. With incandescent lights, this creates a hole in the middle of hotspot. With LED lights, the results are better, there is not a single drop in brightness in the center. I cut a piece and it holds with its edges the gap between the glass and the bezel. The spill has become a little smaller in diameter, but the hot spot has become wider, it is uniform and very similar to the version with XPL. It is convenient for walking. At any time, it can be removed with the help of nails on fingers and returned light to its original state. I assume that if such a lens is placed on the glass with the XPL version, the shape of the hot spot will be very close to the shape of the rays of triple diodes.

All the left parts of the photos - with the lens on glass.

Olight Warrior X

EB1

6P

HDS Executive 219C

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
Jeez... my new rotary arrives TODAY in the mail and that's when I learn about this upgrade!! Bad luck!

Jeffg0330

Newly Enlightened
So I received my high CRI SST-20 recently, it's my first HDS as well as my first rotary light. I probably won't say anything that hasn't already been said, but I wanted to share my impressions.

The build quality is superior to any light I've ever seen, I'm looking at HDS as like the Rolex of flashlights. The Acme threading feels rock solid strong. I'm happy that my light tail stands 100% perfectly, that was one of my biggest concerns.

The tint on my sample is simply exquisite and the beam itself is the best I've ever seen. Nice sized hot spot with plenty of spill. I use my lights every day at work and "only" having 225 lumens is never an issue. I love having so many low levels as I'm a fan of the sub lumen, but personally I'd have liked .01 as the lowest level but, I'm more than satisfied.

I'm not a clip or holster kind of guy, my lights live in my pocket and while the HDS is heavier than any of my Zebras, I hardly notice it's there. I think I'll do something similar to what RCS1300 does with a lanyard and tritium FOB so I can find it for late night bathroom trips.

I'm completely satisfied with the purchase, If anyone reading this is on the fence about buying a HDS light, just do it.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
jeff - Good post. You might consider the locator flash for assistance with HDS geolocation at o-dark-thirty. Works well for me. What kind of work do you?

Jeffg0330

Newly Enlightened
Hey Lion504. I haven't messed with programming yet but I'll look at the locator flash option, I honestly don't even know what that means lol. I'm an inspector in a plant that manufactures bottled waters, a warehouse/lab environment. My lights get used often, and I admit that I'll be babying my new HDS until it gets its first ding. I can see where purchasing multiple could become obligatory.....after all I "need" an 18650 now right?

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I received my high CRI SST-20 recently, it's my first HDS as well as my first rotary light. I probably won't say anything that hasn't already been said, but I wanted to share my impressions.

Welcome to the tribe...

There are some things one just has to play with in order to appreciate. Swarovski binoculars, a CRK Sebenza or Inkosi, and an HDS.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honestly don't even know what that means lol.

Locator flash is a configurable option so the light emits a small "pulse" of light every 1.5(?) secs when it is off. I don't like cords and attachments hanging off my light, so I turn that locator flash on every night when I go to bed (with 4 clicks from off). When the light is bezel down, the periodic flash is visible in a dark room.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'll do something similar to what RCS1300 does with a lanyard and tritium FOB so I can find it for late night bathroom trips.

I have tried many different options to find my light quickly at night and make sure it does not roll away from me when I grab it.

The lanyard and tritium marker from mixglow so far have been the best solution for me. In the night I want to be able to find my light within a fraction of one second in case I need it to support my portable hole puncher. In that situation, I will not have patience to wait for a locator beacon flash or two. I sleep in night environments where you cannot see your hand six inches in front of your face. In that situation the locator beacon would have to blink once, twice, and maybe a third time before I could get my hand on the light.

The knots I am using now include the double constrictor around the light and the two strand wall knot to secure the tritium. I lightly heat the ends of the paracord to prevent them from fraying.

side-by-side-5-16-20.jpg

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with the Executive is quite simple... not enough of them get sold for HDS to really put much more into them...
Let me explain.
Rotary style lights outsell Executive style lights by about 10 to 1. So for every time we get battery compartments made, it is 10 times more often to get Rotary parts done, as there is still stock of Executive battery tubes. If we have tubes made twice a year for the Rotary, it means Executive tubes get made once every 5 years. It doesn't make a lot of sense to throw out a bunch of stock that is perfectly good for a product line that is moving much slower than the flagship (Rotary).
The Executive won't die... but it could fade away. Its very existence has been a topic with Henry and myself on numerous occasions and when, finally, a new light comes out... what is the fate of the executive with such a small market for it? You guys know I like options... but we will see.

Is BOB still packing clicky paraphernalia?

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
My G-machine has an attached, non-HDS light :shrug:. For me, locator beacon supports low to no visibility, near-real time (< 30 sec accuracy), water-related events that occur while sleeping. (Although I realize that as I continue to age my requirement will steadily drift towards real time). And for spotting resident teenagers roaming past curfew. Fortunately, these tools are mix-n-match.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.