HDS Systems EDC: Suggestions #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Would you Rotary guys find a level 0 useful? Maybe with a detent? This could save wear and tear on the switch boot which is not user serviceable on the Rotary models.

Also, if a level 0 were an option, how about a KISS Rotary? No presets. Not button. Just a straight up Rotary which starts at OFF and tops out at MAX (w/burst). Perhaps fill the switch boot cavity with a metal cap or magnet milled for a trit.
Twisty v2.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
It's a good idea. That's essentially the same exact way that the Cool Fall Spy flashlights work. I will agree with PY that it would probably be very easy to accidentally activate without a fairly strong detent in the off position. My experience with the spy is that it's not uncommon to pull it out of a pocket on level 2 or even 3. Having just said that, the spy has "only" 6 brightness settings on its rotary dial, while the HDS lights have 24, enough levels and those lower levels are all so darn low that the accidental pocket activation may not be much of an issue. Although somehow I don't see that being acceptable by HDS standards...

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about a KISS Rotary? No presets. Not button. Just a straight up Rotary which starts at OFF and tops out at MAX (w/burst).

Great idea!
Hogo hinted about it a year ago:

02-10-2018
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...stems-EDC-19&p=5183365&viewfull=1#post5183365
Hogokansatsukan said:
the.Mtn.Man said:
... here's a crazy thought: a Rotary without a button at all that is operated exclusively through the dial.
I'm thinking you have bugged HDS Systems. I'm going to do a sweep for bugs later this week. If I don't find bugs, I'm going to fashion myself a tin-foil hat!

My NoButton Rotary only Jetbeam RRT-01 has not turned on in my pocket, ever.

Our new member just shared he's been carrying a Jetbeam RRT0 rotary for years, it is cr123/AA compatible. It does have a tailswitch, like the V11R. It also has a strobe on the dial, like the HDS Tactical Rotary:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-My-road-to-my-first-HDS-light&highlight=rrt0
Back in 2008 I retired my SureFire E1 led for a JETBeam RRT0 Raptor with the variable ring, and wondered, hmmm, how long will this work being in a pocket 24/7. It has been on every hunt, and dropped 20-30 times, rained on, tracked deer, and is getting worn, but I always always had a nagging thought about reliability.? Well, it has been a trooper, 10years no problems

imo the new HDS Rotary is already being planned, with NoButton.

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
Twisty v2.

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like people want the Twisty to be resurrected. Maybe with a few more than 3 levels?

I think, however, that the rotary fills this need, though you do have to click at least once to start spinning through levels.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My thoughts exactly. Sounds like people want the Twisty to be resurrected. Maybe with a few more than 3 levels?

I think, however, that the rotary fills this need, though you do have to click at least once to start spinning through levels.
I would have liked my Twisty a lot more with 5 levels, but not having a button sure made programming and extremely daunting experience.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have liked my Twisty a lot more with 5 levels, but not having a button sure made programming and extremely daunting experience.

I agree a button is needed for ease of programming when there are only 4 presets, and to access ramping.

Im not sure how much programming is needed when using a rotary dial that can access all 24 levels by ramping, without any clicking involved.

One thing that is not on the HDS Rotary dial is Strobe, but that could be added at the end of the ramp. Or the way the RRT0 does it, strobe is to the left of the off detent, all the ramping levels are to the right.

Im not sure there is a need for a button, except for momentary ON. In conjunction with a gun, it is likely that a momentary tail button would be preferred, so there will still be a place for the HDS Clicky. And it will have ramping too, controlled by the button.

To provide a tactical momentary On, with a rotary dial, It might be possible to create momentary strobe by requiring holding the dial against a spring loaded stop. Same with Maximum.

It will be interesting to see what Henry has up his sleeve :)

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
A button-less rotary would be interesting, but I don't think I'd buy one. I wouldn't want to give up useful features like momentary on, momentary max while on, and the ability to quickly turn off and back on again at the same level.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
first in the queue for all those tired last generation lights coming up on the Marketplace.

That's what I call a forward thinker

imagine all those Ti Rotaries coming on the market, deeply discounted because theyve been obsoleted.. LOL

maybe not in this lifetime..

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
Our new member just shared he's been carrying a Jetbeam RRT0 rotary for years, it is cr123/AA compatible. It does have a tailswitch, like the V11R. It also has a strobe on the dial, like the HDS Tactical Rotary:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-My-road-to-my-first-HDS-light&highlight=rrt0
imo the new HDS Rotary is already being planned, with NoButton.

Well, what pushed me over the edge was the rotary feature plus tail switch of the HDS and ability to program the click and hold and other programming for different features. Not sure I would buy a rotary only, but I am willing to think about it. ;)

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't actually know how you can make a Rotary better except maybe user programmable through a sealed waterproof USB port like the iron key sticks have ... as in switch from rotary to tactical or other configurations.... but to remove the button and limit functionality ... not liking that idea.
Add a tir lens to really throw that beam like the Surefire e2dl tir... or similar. Now we talking 🤠

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
A button-less rotary...I don't think I'd buy one. I wouldn't want to give up useful features like momentary on, momentary max while on, and the ability to quickly turn off and back on again at the same level.
My feelings exactly. I keep the programming available on my Clicky but with the Rotary I don't even think about it. Momentary, instant access to high have always been a couple of top features for me.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I realize this kind of removes modularity from the system, but if the body and tail were a single unit like the McGizmos and Malkoffs, the resultant design would be virtually guaranteed to reduce weight, increase durability, and improve water and dust resistance by eliminating the threaded portions and the corresponding o-ring needed to seal that opening/juncture.

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
Well, I think Dan and Henry have their work cut out for them. They now have to figure out a way to build one light with several tail attachments to meet the requirements of each of us. Some rotary tails, some buttons. And ALL Bluetooth functionality so we can program each individual light to do exactly what each of us wants. OTA (over the air) firmware upgrades like our phones. Heck, speaking of phones, I can't wait for the HDS app so I can change my light's functionality on the fly.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm honestly all set with my Clickies. I've only recently acquired my first headlamp and discovered how useful they are, so a compact headlamp from HDS is my only real next big want. Even as a die hard Clicky fan and proud 10%er, a rotary dial makes perfect sense on a headlamp.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even as a die hard Clicky fan and proud 10%er...

10% Represent.

Actually, I think I want one rotary. Dying for a 3500K R9080 at some point early this year. My clickies will continue to shoulder the majority of the work, though, obviously.

I do think that a buttonless rotary is intriguing and I'm eager to see what 2020 has in store. In the mean time, I'm not finished with my 2.18 Nichia obsession.

Status
Not open for further replies.