Headlamp specifically for trail running - recommendations?

hiljentaa

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a headlamp primarily for trail running.

I had been using my Eagletac D25A in a NiteIze headstrap, but due to the basic design, it is not angle adjustable. The fact that it rides on the side of the head also allowed too much of the beam to reflect into my eye/off my eyelashes. The NiteIze strap is great for basic illumination, but it's just not going to work out for my needs.

I've been looking at the Zebralight offerings, specifically the H502c-High-CRI-Neutral-White-AA-Flood-Headlamp (AA Phillips LUXEON Rebel neutral white high CRI), due to the low weight and tint/high CRI aspect. I worry that it might not be enough throw for my needs, though.

The runtimes are not as great as an 18650 offering, but fortunately/unfortunately I am not a strong enough runner at this time to be out for more than two hours (particularly at night), so that does not concern me.

I could bump up to an 18650 offering, but that would require the additional purchase of batteries and charger, along with added weight. Though the weight is minimal on paper, this is primarily going to be used for running, so any weight will be amplified due to the natural motion of running itself.

If I go with an 18650 offering, I've been looking at the zebralight H600Fw-Mk-II-Floody-18650-XM-L2-Headlamp-Neutral-White (18650 XM-L2 floody) or the zebralight. H600w-Mk-II-18650-XM-L2-Headlamp-Neutral-White (18650 XM-L2 spot/flood).

I have not owned a Zebralight product in the past, but I quite like the design of their headband which seems to be very simple and allow for angle adjustment on the fly.

I have not yet looked at other manufacturers, but I would love to hear your recommendations (particularly from hikers or runners), particularly AA, CR123, and possibly 18650 options.

I'd love a high CRI offering, with neutral, or warm tint (~3500-4500 CCT). I prefer a pretty floody light, but a bit of spot in the middle would be ideal for this application.

Budget is ~$100.

Apologies for the long post. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and thoughts!

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the D25A works for you, get a headband with a top strap and you should be OK.

royi kien

Newly Enlightened
Latest news, spark SG5 SG3 will release a new high CRI led version, Phillips Luxeon T 90 CRI 3000 ~ 3500K.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I love using my H600w (with diffuser film) for running at night. I don't run on TRAILS at night, but I think it would be an even better fit for that. Huge flood and still plenty of throw for running. I do like the size of my H51w better, but with the Nite Ize headband, the H600w rides fine even on a sweaty head!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
* no "fw", imho, the original beam is floody enough
a model without the (quite floody) reflector is possibly useful for reding a newspaper, maybe :thinking: for walking - but not for higher speeds like running

* for trail running I would consider the high of the AA model as a must, so You will have less than 1 hour with the small one ...

Tetsujin 140.6

Newly Enlightened
I have a Zebralight that I have tried to use for trail running at night, and although the light it provides is adequate, the headband is lacking compared with others that I have used.

I have had better luck with a Petzl Tikka I picked up at a local camping supply store, and this is solely due to the headband being better, in my opinion. I also find I have better luck if I wear a baseball style hat, so that the brim can support the weight of the light, and prevent some jumping around.

The round shape of the Zebra vs. the flattend back of the Petzl Tikka, also allows the zebra to bounce more on the head.

I'm interested to hear other opinions on this, as I too am looking for a better option.

Last edited:

Candlehorsepower

Newly Enlightened
Hands down my recommendation is the Petzl Myo RXP
Pro:

Battery back is in the back lamp is in the front. When you are running the tendency for the lamp to slide down or forward on forehead is reduced.
Has tiltable lamp.
Flood lens creates wide & deep field of view flips down for decent spot.
Can run on 3 AA lithiums, this gives you hours and hours of runtime especially if your run on lower settings.
Has boost mode that increases output to 200 lumens for a short period.
Has rudimentary charge indicator.
13 different light level settings with memory.

Cons:
Its $89

Personally I love this light for 15 or 20 mile treks in the winter time you are guaranteed to hit long periods of darkness this headlamp throws enough light for 2 people to walk / run / trek and traverse side by side and only require one headlamp.

dml24

Newly Enlightened
Consider the Fenix HL30 with 200 lumens or the HP11 with 277 lumens.
HL30 Runtimes:
Turbo - 200 Lumens - 1 hr. 40 min.

• High - 100 Lumens - 4 hr. 30 min.
  • Mid - 45 Lumens - 10 hr. 30 min.
  • Low - 4 Lumens - 140 hr.

• The HP11 runtimes:
Turbo - 277 Lumens - 3 hr. 51 min.
High - 133 Lumens - 9 hr. 31 min.
Mid - 55 Lumens - 25 hrs

The 133 lumens for 9 hrs should be sufficient for most trail runs and enough runtime to last several nights. Use rechargeable AAs and your night trail runs will be safe and well illuminated.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an HL30 and has served me well. I use it a general purpose headlamp and for hiking. I've used it a couple of times for short trail runs without problems but it's not a headlamp designed for running. I'm planning to trail run more and more often so I'm actually looking at the Petzl Myo RXP as the next headlamp.