Help Me Choose a "Hiking" Flashlight

I am about the take the plunge and buy my first premium light. Until now I have only bought solarforce, rayovacs, colemans and mags. So this will be my first real premium purchase and I'm ready to take the plunge and become a real member of this forum. I hope you can help me with your opinion on what you would have chose as your first light.

That being said, here's what I plan to use the light for - Hiking/Backpacking. I hike in the Angeles National Forest and in Malibu, California. Sometimes I end up not getting back until dark hits. I usually go out with my Mini-Mag and another cheapo LED light. It's worked fine until now but now I want something better. So here are my specs needed.

1. Something that is bright enough to light up the forest at night reasonably. Doesn't have to be a power flood light. Just a lot brighter than a standard mini-mag.
  2. Something that lasts a reasonably long time. I think something along the lines of "at least 3 hours" but ideally I'd rather it last at least 4 hours on one set of batteries.
  3. Something that is reasonably water/weatherproof. I've been hiking in light sprinkles and I often hike up creek beds so want something that won't die if I accidentally drop it in the water.
  4. Something relatively drop resistant. I've dropped my mini-mag at least a dozen times over the last year so I expect to drop this light too.
  5. Prefer AA but am open to CR123A. Definitely don't want AAA.
  6. Prefer a cheaper model if possible.
That being said, I've narrowed down my choices to the following lights:

Inova XO (40 bucks) - Cheap and that's why I like it. Looks to be waterproof and shockproof. The good about this one is I can buy it at the local Target and save on shipping.

Fenix LD10 (around 55 bucks) - Can't tell the big difference between this one and the L1D below. Can anybody let me know?

Fenix L1D (around 55 bucks) - Again, seems to be the same price as the LD10 but I can't see the major difference in the two.

Surefire G2 (around 60 to 65 bucks) - Can't go wrong with a surefire right? Only problem with this one is it's more expensive than the others.

Can you tell me which one you'd recommend or...if you'd recommend something else? My budget is 40 to 60 dollars. I will go with the most recommended flashlight most likely unless somebody can sway me otherwise with a good pitch for something else.

Thanks SOOOO much in advance.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Surefire E2L is an ideal choice. Excellent runtime, good brightness, tough as nails and slim and easy to carry.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Fenix LD10 (around 55 bucks) - Can't tell the big difference between this one and the L1D below. Can anybody let me know?

Fenix L1D (around 55 bucks) - Again, seems to be the same price as the LD10 but I can't see the major difference in the two.

Surefire G2 (around 60 to 65 bucks) - Can't go wrong with a surefire right? Only problem with this one is it's more expensive than the others.

The LD10 is simple the upgraded version of L1D, with a changed reflector and anti roll feature.

The G2 is an incan light, than give your a short run time at full power and then a steady declining output, the light is also a single level light.
The incan has better color rendition in the forest than cool led lights (you need 5A leds for good color rendition in the forest).

If you need a light to use in really cold weather, the G2 may be a good option, but for most other uses I would prefer the LD10/L1D.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
All six of those requirements fit all of the well recommended lights here, you'll have to be more specific with the type of beam pattern, size, throw, and such.

The G2 only lasts for an hour on a set of batteries.

The LD/PD series of lights from Fenix have more knurling(more grip), an anti roll bezel, lower output on low, a more throwy reflector, and still have interchangeble bodies. The LD20, LD10, PD20, L1D, L2D, P2D, L1T V2.0, and L2T V2.0 all have compatible bodies so you can choose between 1AA, 2AA, or 1 CR123 if you have the bodies. The L1D, L2D, and P2D have the same circuit. The LD10, LD20, and PD20 have the same circuit.

Fenix Store/4sevens includes shipping in their price, there are also some more that do the same. They also have a coupon, check here.

There's also the Olights, Eagletacs, iTPs, Luampowers, Litefluxes, Nitecores, and a few more I'm forgetting.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2L is an exceptional choice that satisfies all of your criteria other than cost.

However, if you can only take one light into the woods, it should be a headlamp. You can get very good ones with long run times for relatively short dollars. Look at Princeton Tec for starters.

Did not know the G2 only had an hour runtime, that's definitely off my list at this point then.

Leaning towards Fenix at this point. I would lean towards your Olights, Eagletacs and what not, but once I start getting into the sub-brands, I start to get a headache with all the model numbers they put out. It gets really hard to pick a flashlight with only 3 brands to choose from, let alone 6 or 7.

I would gladly consider an Olight, Eagletac, or any other brand if you can actually make a recommendation. Regarding what I want out of it?

Well, I can't be too specific. That's why I'm looking for opinions. Something to light up my path, resist the elements and last a long time are my requirements. Or to make it easier, I'll present a scenario for you.

You have to go into the forest to find your lost dog but you forgot all your flashlights at home. On the way to the forest you find a flashlight store that just happens to carry every flashlight imaginable (a dream come true).

You go in to buy the best sure fire and you pull your wallet out and realize you left your credit card at home which is 100 miles away. You have $60 bucks in cash. Which flashlight do you buy for your needs?

There is a light sprinkle outside and you really love your dog and you want a reliable flashlight.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should consider the new eagletac P100A2 (or the p100c2 for cr123). It runs off of 2 AA batteries, has about 200 lumens on high (55 on low), a forward clicky switch, hard anodizing, and only costs $40. it is also IPX-8 waterproof, which means it is completely submersible for a certain amount of time at a certain depth (stated by the manufacterer). This means it is about as waterproof as any other light short of a dive light. It also claims to be shock proof, so it should survive a fall. The two modes will give you a good balance between good runtime and brightness, and are changed by loosening the head, which means you still get momentary on functionality.

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2L costs 30 dollars more than the G2. For that much, wouldn't it make more sense to get a normal G2 and a p60 dropin for 30 dollars?

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
to use as primary/only light while in outdoors

i would look for 2 aa flashlight or 2 cr123 light. for longer batterylife.

i think i would look for Fenix.

TK20. 2 aa batteries. yellow plastic. easy to see if dropped. big and sturdy (bigger than fenix ld20 that would be my second choice) very near the same light output colour as normal incan lights. works nice in forest as cool white color leds make things look ..hmm a bit eerie?
simple to use. click on click off and higher output by twisting head. lower mode runs for 8 hours or so, and high for over hour.

but is it too heavy to backpacker? do you ultralite? as it is 200grams with batteries. ld20 is 2aa but 100grams. and ld10 (1aa) is what 70g??

fenix ld models have different modes.. lower output handy in pitch black in tent etc. and those low modes have runtime of over a day. on high about same as tk20.

aa batteries are good as you can get them everywhere.

cr123 models are better choice if u go ultralight and size matters. but batteries are harder to come by if in need.

headlamp is most useful for walking in odd terrain. 2 hands free to brake your fall :)

look at here for reviews 2aa lights or 1aa lights.. selfbuilt has done great job with them. and also go check light-reviews.com theres plenty lights to go thru. just to confuse you more :)

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2L costs 30 dollars more than the G2. For that much, wouldn't it make more sense to get a normal G2 and a p60 dropin for 30 dollars?

Sure, but would the $30 drop-in be as reliable, and have the same warranty service? If you are going to put a drop-in in the G2, just spend the extra money and get a Malkoff and be done with it.

carrot

Flashaholic
Let's not forget that the G2L also has a metal bezel whereas the regular G2 has a plastic bezel. The metal is better for heat conductivity when used with LED lamps.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well either way, I think the P100a2 (or the P100c2, which is closer to the G2L) is a better deal than the surefire. It is brighter on high, probably has more runtime on low, and costs less.

That P100A2 looks like a great choice thanks for the recommendations guys.

My only concern is that this seems like a "new model" flashlight. Sometimes with new models, the problems don't pop up for several weeks later.

Thoughts on that?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it seems to have resolved a few problems that the previous Eagletac lights had, like the reverse polarity protectors falling off, and a few peoples' lenses breaking. I'm not sure what other sorts of problems might happen, but it does seem like arelatively simple design.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the choices that you first mentioned, I would go with the LD10; it is a great light that will work wonderfully for you.

With that being said, I would strongly urge you to give serious consideration to the Ra Clicky lights. The price of entry starts at 99 bucks and the Clicky is, in my opinion, the nicest production light available.

Read up on it at www.ralights.com

Good luck.

Illum

Flashaholic
E2L is an exceptional choice that satisfies all of your criteria other than cost.

E2L can suffice a couple things, but not all
Advantage

• Ridiculously long runtimes: 63 hours on low [source here] and 5.5 hours on high [Graph here], so theres no real need to carry lots of spares, just an extra set for keeps:wave:
  • The first generation measured only 152ma current draw off the meter, which means there is virtually NO heat output.:D
  • Very water/weather resistant [keep those o-rings cleaned and lubed ;)]
  • Incredible throw and very usable spill [for very dark locations]
Disadvantage

• Its not a headlamp, not does it likes to be used as a headlamp. I had it clipped to a baseball cap and the center of gravity is just @#$%:shakehead
  • The Z57 click on tail switch is an Achilles heel, they aren't known to breakdown, but when they do its sometimes catastrophic. I've had two incidents of breakage and luckily both were stuck in "on." Supposedly theres a case on the forum where one got stuck in "off" position and rendered the light useless. If you can locate a Z52, I'd say use that, or...bring a couple extra lights:eek:
  • While the most predominant beam characteristic is throw, it casts some spill but most of the time it is inadequate for navigation if where you are suffer from light pollution, I've never trekked into the woods with one as my only light so I really can't say on this one :grin2:
  • Theres no mounting option for a lanyard, which happened to be one of those :huh2: issues with E series lights, the only method I have managed to successfully utilize is to stuff a keychain ring into the hole towards the end of the clip and run paracord through that...
Heres my picks, considering every aspect except cost:)

Headlamp/Camplight: Zebralite H50
Q5 edition [where to buy: www.4sevens.com][Review and runtime here]
Advantage

• 3 levels of non PWM levels, very very wide spill. very good runtime/output combo on medium for camp illumination
  • On low its great for night walks in the neighborhood, not sure about the forest though:laughing:
  • Alkaline, NiMH, L91 lithium, Li-ion 14500 compliant
  • Includes goodies [see review]
Disadvantage

• No throw
  • Theres a bit of glare without the glare shield, but the shield will reduce the spill to 120 degrees and does not reduce glare on the top of the light, so if you have it clipped to your belt its going to bother you a bit.
[really, those are the only disadvantages I can think of for mine:nana:]

Main light: Surefire A2 Aviator [Where to buy: I'm feeling lucky][Runtime xenon 45 minutes (Source here) LED only 15.5 hours (Source here)]
Advantage

• Regulated xenon, unlike a G2, which most of the batteries output will result in a yellowish beam, the A2 is one of the very few regulated incandescents out there that will give you the highest achievable color temperature [5500K] until the batteries are depleted (note the interesting runtime curve on the xenon] plus soft start to the lamp, which increases the lamp life and gives the lithiums a good run for the money.
  • 5500K CCT would mean the best color rendition you've seen, up to now only incandescent can do this, LEDs still hasn't gotten this far
  • Different LED colors for you to choose from, I personally would prefer white or red
  • 5 stage tailcap [trust me, its not as complicated as it sounds] twist all the way out to lock out both light sources [1], twist one to two turns which enables the LEDs to come on even when you push down all the way [2], twist one turn more to engage momentary xenon and momentary LED [3], give it a few turns and you get constant LED with momentary xenon [4, the most versatile "mode" I know of in the field], and if you screw the tailcap down all the way you would have constant on for both modes [5]
Disadvantage

• Short runtime on xenon, I'd recommend investing in an SC3 type carrier and a spare lamp installed in it]
  • Lamp eventually needs replacing
Sidekick/Alternative: Surefire E2L
Something to carry on you even when your naked [yes, neck carry]: Muyshondt Aeon, or Fenix E01
you should never be away from a light:wave:

I'm sure all outdoor enthusiasts would agree: bright lights are fun, but useless. Those normally useless lights like Petzl or Aurora under the cities sodiums and mercury arcs are highly prized in the field because they are low output lights. For selecting your lights, might want to give this a read, its a story from user Quickbeam, the founder of www.flashlightreviews.com
The Under-rated 5mm LED (AKA - Night Kayaking!)

maybe this one too:whistle:
500+ light choices... which actually get used? Your input?

I'm not a hiker so these selections are up for debate