Heresy -- Flashlights are useless

BrightestBulb

Newly Enlightened
Okay, maybe they're not completely useless... but in the majority of uses, I'm finding lanterns and flashlights with diffusers to be far more useful and practical than flashlights. Of course, YMMV.

The only thing I find myself using a flashlight regularly for is inspecting aircraft or looking for dropped screws

Otherwise, it's a lantern of some sort for me. Even post-flight, I'm usually magnetically-sticking the tail of an EDC18 with diffuser on the speaker grille. Repairing engines? magnetic lantern. Repairing HVAC? magnetic lantern. Night-light in a foreign hotel? Lantern. Power outage? Lantern. Changing a tire? Lantern.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing with fire-breathing, pocket-burning monsters...but practically, they're shelf queens here.

/I'll go make a bag a popcorn.
I have some of everything but if you told me I could only have one light it would be my Lucifer headlamp. I can work on things…check the dogs at night…walk/run with it (no running for me) and It even has a mount for my bicycle! Whats not to like??? Far superior to flashlights IMO.

Zenster

Enlightened
Specifically addressing the OP; note that any flashlight can be a lantern but a lantern can't be a flashlight.

Just saying...

One of my favorites is my Nitecore LR12. In it's collapsed form, it's a great flashlight or a tailstand lantern bouncing off a ceiling.
Then it can be a great "real" lantern by extending it's semi-transparent barrel.
To top it off, it's base is magnetic so I often use it to work under the hood of my car as either/and/or a flashlight or lantern.

But in the end, for me, I do use my lights as flashlights way more than as lanterns. It certainly has more to do with each individual's usage for lights than it does about the lights themselves.

TPA

Enlightened
One of my favorites is my Nitecore LR12. In it's collapsed form, it's a great flashlight or a tailstand lantern bouncing off a ceiling.
Then it can be a great "real" lantern by extending it's semi-transparent barrel.
To top it off, it's base is magnetic so I often use it to work under the hood of my car as either/and/or a flashlight or lantern.
I actually have a few of the Nitecore LA10CRIs. I like the form factor and size, although I wish it went dimmer and I wish it was available in a warmer color temperature. I actually used two of these to help a coworker change the spark plug wires on their Chevy Suburban in the parking lot of our workplace...at 2am. I wish I could say alcohol was involved, but I don't drink.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually have a few of the Nitecore LA10CRIs. I like the form factor and size, although I wish it went dimmer and I wish it was available in a warmer color temperature. I actually used two of these to help a coworker change the spark plug wires on their Chevy Suburban in the parking lot of our workplace...at 2am. I wish I could say alcohol was involved, but I don't drink.
Next time, change the plugs in Monocrom's parking lot. 😈🤣

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You know mine's going to be bigger and brighter than yours.... Plus a little tag-team assist from The Bear.... Grizzly Bear Protection Pepperspray that is. 😉

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why's that? I've not eaten beans or burritos in over a week.
Well, if you get up to Monocrom's posted parking lot for auto repair, he's threatening you with eviction at penalty of chemical warfare.

quote:
You know mine's going to be bigger and brighter than yours.... Plus a little tag-team assist from The Bear.... Grizzly Bear Protection Pepperspray that is. 😉

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, if you get up to Monocrom's posted parking lot for auto repair, he's threatening you with eviction at penalty of chemical warfare.
Ironically, we did have a couple of young guys try that with a Tesla SUV, a few months back.

I gave them 20 minutes. They said they needed only 10. They took 30. Before I reached for the phone to call the police and the Towing company whom we have a contract with, checked one more time; and they were gone. Saved me the hassle of doing paperwork. Couple of young knuckleheads from the ridiculously passive/aggressive neighborhood where the building is located at. They think they're entitled to park there or walk through it for some bizarre reason.

Since the entire front end of their Tesla was off, I believed them when they said it broke down. Not an accident. They literally took the whole front end off! Somehow they got it fixed. Though even after being warned, several weeks later they came back and parked overnight in the very same spot!

Honestly, stupid and obnoxious people shoukd not be allowed to breed. And I mean that. Not joking. There wasn't a confrontation per-se. No one messed with their vehicle. But they definitely got the message that the private parking lot was not theirs' to use whenever the hell they felt like it. Several months now, they haven't returned.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ironically, we did have a couple of young guys try that with a Tesla SUV, a few months back.

I gave them 20 minutes. They said they needed only 10. They took 30. Before I reached for the phone to call the police and the Towing company whom we have a contract with, checked one more time; and they were gone. Saved me the hassle of doing paperwork. Couple of young knuckleheads from the ridiculously passive/aggressive neighborhood where the building is located at. They think they're entitled to park there or walk through it for some bizarre reason.

Since the entire front end of their Tesla was off, I believed them when they said it broke down. Not an accident. They literally took the whole front end off! Somehow they got it fixed. Though even after being warned, several weeks later they came back and parked overnight in the very same spot!

Honestly, stupid and obnoxious people shoukd not be allowed to breed. And I mean that. Not joking. There wasn't a confrontation per-se. No one messed with their vehicle. But they definitely got the message that the private parking lot was not theirs' to use whenever the hell they felt like it. Several months now, they haven't returned.
I have heard claims of Nazis in Ukraine, but never really gave it much validity. But your attitude about eugenics has me concerned. When did you first begin to believe this way, and were you influenced in this belief by someone else?

Must .... not ..... r..e..p..l..y.

Image.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So let me get this straight:
Flashlights are useless because pepper spray is chemical warfare used by Ukrainian nazi's, because light bulbs blow and Fenix used to make a purple E01, which is not what they call them in the UK all because David Missel sold his flashlight patent to Conrad Hubert?
The things I learn here at CPF is astounding.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have heard claims of Nazis in Ukraine, but never really gave it much validity. But your attitude about eugenics has me concerned. When did you first begin to believe this way, and were you influenced in this belief by someone else?
You do realize that there are already laws in place here in America that prevent severely mentally handicapped people from reproducing. You know that, right? As a matter of fact, those types of laws are nearly universal around the globe. Are those world leaders also Nazis?

Also, I've always been blatantly honest about my views. Shall we have a real discussion regarding the very real cultural differences that exist in America between African-Americans and White people. Or, are you just going to call me a "Racist" and expect me to instantly apologize for even bringing up the subject and meekly back down?

By the way, no; there are no actual Nazis in the Ukraine. Considering they tried exterminating Ukrainians back during WWII just as hard as they tried exterminating Jews, Neo-Nazis would not be tolerated in the Ukraine. (To put it very mildly.) And, no Ukrainian would be one. That's like an Atheist being a Priest, and actually taking his Priestly duties seriously. A ridiculous concept. Mostly thanks to mass media distortions for views. This Ukrainian doesn't care if you think he's a Nazi. Silly labels don't bother me. Others who have been on CPF a lot longer than you have, know me; and know my character. I don't pretend to be something I'm not. Since Day 1, I've shown my True Colors.... Thanks for finally showing yours. I'm done with you.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re post 76:
Dude, chill out. The brutha was just joking.
No, he wasn't.
I learned from the best when folks use humor to mask their serious replies. Make it sound like a silly and humorous thing. Most folks fall for it. They genuinely do. Doesn't work on someone who grew up around a family member who turned it into an Art form.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Now you're just bein' a jerk.
Says the guy who deleted his previous comment but forgot I quoted it. Oops!

No, I'm just being honest. I call folks out on their BS. Some don't like that. Oh well, that's their issue to deal with. Again, silly labels don't bother me.