• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

How could possible that 1 AA flashlight drive to MAX 700 LUMENS???

Ladd

Enlightened
gunga, you reign supreme in so many ways... honestly, I could not count them all. But what you and all the other poet-warrior flashaholics are in fact after is certainly not a "moonlight" mode, but instead a firefly mode. Moonlight, by the numbers, the actual light intensity that comes from a full moon, is anywhere between 1 and 8 lumens per square meter. Last night's Strawberry moon was at least 8 lumens, if not 10. Abandon the poetry! Be linguistically and scientifically accurate instead! You want sublumens? Its a firefly mode, folks, not a moonlight mode. Thanks for putting up with my repetitive pedantry.

Pedantic -- adj. Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for book learning and formal rules: a pedantic attention to details.

American Heritage Dictionary

I like Wendee's term best of all: "Sublumen"

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks nice. This company sure knows how do marketing. I bet 9 out of 10 people would buy this light over the Zebralight SC52 just by look alone. Who here ordered the pink one already? I won't be one of them though. The mode spacings won't work for me. I need the first two modes to be around 1/30lm.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess those high lumen declarations in small form factor lights is not the best way to go. Just two examples: S1 Ti @ 480lm -- in a minute its heating curve is so steep that I switch it off manually being afraid to fry internals. Archer 1A v3 @ 200lm -- I barely feel its warming and can use to full extent.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I looked this up at one point, and posted the info in a discussion elsewhere ....

For reference, full moonlight on a clear night might be about < 1 lux. Simplifying the math and conversion of units, I'd consider flashlight output of 1-3 lumens to be "moonlight" . A candle would also make about 1 lumen.

A firefly supposedly produces about 0.025 lumen, and flashlight outputs < 0.1 lumen are usually considered to be "firefly" modes.

Interestingly, moonless starlight with "airglow" is listed at 0.002 lux in Wikipedia.

I definitely agree that there is (and should be) a significant visual difference between "firefly" modes, and "moonlight" modes, as well as probably (to some degree at least) plain "low" output mode(s)

And yes, the term "sublumen" is indeed useful and appropriate for output of < 1 lumen.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Ouch, another almost perfect 1xAA. But as usual, something kills it like the 5>90 spacing. 1lm>50lm>300 would have been great. I like a sublumen, but can live with 1lm if pressed for 3 simple modes.

bonbonbin_

Newly Enlightened
Looks nice. This company sure knows how do marketing. I bet 9 out of 10 people would buy this light over the Zebralight SC52 just by look alone. Who here ordered the pink one already? I won't be one of them though. The mode spacings won't work for me. I need the first two modes to be around 1/30lm.

I saw BATTERYJUNCTION HAVE :D:D

Wendee

Enlightened
My previous question about this flashlight accepting protected batteries has been answered.

I just saw a recent post by Klarus titled "For MI7, 14500 li-ion battery, Klarus have". The battery is a protected button top.

So the flashlight itself has a lockout feature and over-discharge protection and it also accepts a protected 14500 battery. Awesome! :thumbsup:

I see this battery for sale on a site that offers the Mi7 (Mi7 is pre-sale and sold separately) but the store doesn't offer free shipping (expensive outside of USA).
Hopefully the other site that does offer free shipping for this light will soon have the battery in stock.

Expected shipping date for the Mi7 is July 9th (6 days from now). :)

klight

Enlightened
You are really professional! Thanks, we learn a lot!
I looked this up at one point, and posted the info in a discussion elsewhere ....

For reference, full moonlight on a clear night might be about < 1 lux. Simplifying the math and conversion of units, I'd consider flashlight output of 1-3 lumens to be "moonlight" . A candle would also make about 1 lumen.

A firefly supposedly produces about 0.025 lumen, and flashlight outputs < 0.1 lumen are usually considered to be "firefly" modes.

Interestingly, moonless starlight with "airglow" is listed at 0.002 lux in Wikipedia.

I definitely agree that there is (and should be) a significant visual difference between "firefly" modes, and "moonlight" modes, as well as probably (to some degree at least) plain "low" output mode(s)

And yes, the term "sublumen" is indeed useful and appropriate for output of < 1 lumen.

klight

Enlightened
Yes, although I would prefer the medium more towards low ... such as 1 / 20 / 300 , or even 1 / 15 / 300

May I know why you choice this lumens and what situations will be used of that 1/20/300 or 1/15/300 lumens?

radiopej

Enlightened
Interesting! I didn't know that. I thought "moonlight" and "firefly" were simply different ways to describe "very low lumen" output.

So "moonlight" is 1-8 lumens and "firefly" is sublumen level. Now it makes more sense!

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful! :)
Ooh, that's a good point I had never considered.