• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

How could possible that 1 AA flashlight drive to MAX 700 LUMENS???

skeefu

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know where I can purchase a pocket clip for this light ? Some members said that the clip from the Archer V3 fits BUT I do not want to purchase that light JUST for the clip.........any suggestions as to where clip can be purchased separately?

parametrek

Enlightened
I should have noticed this much earlier but something seems off with the runtimes for an AA cell. The medium mode appears to be unusually poor.

Starting with the official specs and assuming they are for a 2000mAh eneloop:

330 lumens for 0.92 hours = 127 lumens per watt*
90 lumens for 1.83 hours = 69 lumens per watt
5 lumens for 40 hours = 83 lumens per watt

* The efficiency in high mode looks great until you see a runtime plot for it: http://i.imgur.com/dHm8YPa.jpg (Credit to Zeroair for running that test.) With the data from that chart (219 lumen-hours under the curve) the actual effiacy for high is 91 lumens per watt.

91 lum/W is pretty good for a high mode. 83 lum/W is okay for a low mode. (While the LED is more efficient at low currents, the driver is typically much less efficient. Unless you have a top-notch driver like ZL or Armytek.) But at the middle mode, 69 lum/W is not so good for an XP-L. In many lights the middle mode is the most efficient, not the worst. This number is the best case number too; it assumes perfectly flat regulation with no FL1 cheating.

I am looking forwards to someone creating a runtime graph for medium. Hopefully Klarus made a typo in the specs.

klight

Enlightened
This Picture is SO SO CUTE!

serveimage

Don't tell him anything!

klight

Enlightened
I found a German review of the Mi7 today. Here's the part about batteries translated via Google service:

"It fit many types of batteries , including AW 14500 , Efest IMR 14500 , even the long Keep Power 840 mAh 14500 fit through the spring in the air easily .
Also, all tested by me batteries fit Eneloop as discounter NiMH alike . Even flat top batteries - the Efest IMR are those - can be used at the positive pole without a magnet."

After seeing this review, I ordered the Orbtronic protected 14500 today (they're the same as the KeepPower). It seems that the Mi7 accepts batteries of all sizes, which is great news. :)

Nice, we also have some reviews will available release soon :)

klight

Enlightened
You are really thoughtable guy :)
Some of fans very crazy about MI7, some of they get sample and can not stop release, that means he / she is first one who release NEWS. :) thanks for all your adive and share.

Pedantic -- adj. Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for book learning and formal rules: a pedantic attention to details.

American Heritage Dictionary

I like Wendee's term best of all: "Sublumen"

jskelton

Newly Enlightened
I have carried mine only twice, but I've use it around the house a bit. Nice output if you use the right batts. But this light has definitely taught me to never again buy a light with a sideswitch that isn't recessed. I experienced hot pocket for the first time when I carried it one night. Lil sumbitch got me good too... by the time I realized what was going on, I was driving and couldn't get my seatbelt off fast enough to reach in my pocket.

This one has now been assigned to center console duty in my wife's car.

stephenk

Enlightened
I have carried mine only twice, but I've use it around the house a bit. Nice output if you use the right batts. But this light has definitely taught me to never again buy a light with a sideswitch that isn't recessed. I experienced hot pocket for the first time when I carried it one night. Lil sumbitch got me good too... by the time I realized what was going on, I was driving and couldn't get my seatbelt off fast enough to reach in my pocket.

This one has now been assigned to center console duty in my wife's car.
The Mi7 can be locked out electronically and physically, so not much excuse for hot pockets!

livingsurvival

Newly Enlightened
I too got stung with this in my pocket. You can lock it out but who wants to take the time. Nice light, mode spacing is not the best. Review coming soon.

Aussi

Newly Enlightened
I'm waiting for my MI7...
My first 14500 flashlight.
Protected Efest and Soshine 14500 are already waiting here...

fancrazy

Newly Enlightened
Put my MI7 into water then it is not working... false advertising, i don't think its water proof.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mi7 can be locked out electronically and physically, so not much excuse for hot pockets!
But that's a poor thing for an EDC light. Lockout should be for longer term storage to stop the battery draining or if packing the light in a back for transport, to make it safe.

You should never need to lock out an EDC light, if you do, that just shows as a poorly thought out design and something not really fit for it's intended purpose.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
No way to know if it's really pushing 700 lumens though. Its bright, but my eyes don't see it as bright as some other lights in that range.
I don't know how many lumens it makes, but you might note the spill beam is MASSIVE on this light.

For example, try pointing it at the ceiling from say table or waist height and note the size of the circle of the spill beam. How try it with some other lights. I'm willing to bet most light up a much smaller area.

What I'm driving at here is, it takes lumens to light up all that extra area. And visually by eye it's easy to not notice this and only concentrate on how intense the hot spot is.

Doing ceiling bounce tests and a lux meter I can attest the Mi7 is significantly brighter than my Olight S15 Baton.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear Klarus,

If you'd like some feedback on the Mi7, then here is mine:

1. This light NEEDS a pocket clip, there is even a recess on the top of the tube for one.
2. Offer this light (and your others) with a Neutral White tint offering. The idea of Nichia LEDs sounds fun, but I suspect maybe limited. But Neutral White CREE XP-L HI would be welcome, circa 4500-5500k
3. Make the switch less easy to accidentally activate when being used for pocket carry. It needs recessing somehow (look at a Zebralight or Manker U11 for example).
4. Include a proper sub 1 lumen moonlight mode. It would fit now with the current UI:

From OFF --- Long click = Moonlight, click again for current Low, click again for Off.

That way you could have instant access to Moonlight or High from off and any other output is only 2 clicks away.

The rest of UI is IMO very good and very usable. It just lacks a Moonlight.

Regards,

CD (I review flashlights too if you are interested)

:)

klight

Enlightened
Thanks Man, Get it and record it on the list.
Just want tell you this small guy could "lock" the switch to avoid mis-operation.
Hold the switch within 5 seconds (when it on or OFF) and it will flash for a while and off, that means it has "locked" , you want off lock, just click it 3 times quickly.

Have a nice day.

Dear Klarus,

If you'd like some feedback on the Mi7, then here is mine:

1. This light NEEDS a pocket clip, there is even a recess on the top of the tube for one.
2. Offer this light (and your others) with a Neutral White tint offering. The idea of Nichia LEDs sounds fun, but I suspect maybe limited. But Neutral White CREE XP-L HI would be welcome, circa 4500-5500k
3. Make the switch less easy to accidentally activate when being used for pocket carry. It needs recessing somehow (look at a Zebralight or Manker U11 for example).
4. Include a proper sub 1 lumen moonlight mode. It would fit now with the current UI:

From OFF --- Long click = Moonlight, click again for current Low, click again for Off.

That way you could have instant access to Moonlight or High from off and any other output is only 2 clicks away.

The rest of UI is IMO very good and very usable. It just lacks a Moonlight.

Regards,

CD (I review flashlights too if you are interested)

:)

radiopej

Enlightened
I just put up a review of this light. I like what what it represents, but I think Chicken Drumstick perfectly nails the issues with that post above. I think the next version of this light has the potential to be almost perfect, but due to the release dates and the current cycle of light releases the Olight S1A may have scooped it.

Howiezowie

Newly Enlightened
+1 to Chicken Drumstick

(Really +4 as I agree with all four comments wholeheartedly. In addition, a recessed switch would also make the button easier to find because right now it's hard to locate it quickly by feel.)