How do you hold your flashlight

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cigar grip aka Surefire Grip is how I hold my light. Light goes inbetween index and middle finger. Or i use the tactical grip with thumb on switch.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
tactical a lot of the time and over the shoulder but if i really need both hands free and i have my 2D mag i put it between my teeth...:laughing:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
cigar grip for me, it allows me to grasp things while holding it.
Walk the dog hold if I just want to illuminate the ground in front of me.

BlazerBud

Newly Enlightened
There is a modified pencil grip that I like to use with a MAG solitaire or Minimag that has a wrist strap on it, usually not the factory strap but a better one off an old cell phone or the like.

With the strap around your wrist, the light is in the pencil grip position, but you practically don't have to hold it with your thumb at all if you have the correct length strap, just use your pointer finger to keep it pointed where you wat by placing the tip between your pointer and second finger. It is very comfortable and works good in my left hand leaving my right hand free to work with other tools or keys.

I cringe when I think about a metal light between my teeth. It's psychological or a phobia about breaking my beautiful teeth. So, I only mouth hold a minimag with my teeth clinched, the light is in the side of my mouth mostly held in place by my cheek.

You asked about holding positions for lights mostly while they are in use, but what about while carrying them? I like a MAG 2C in my back blue jeans pocket. Or a minimag in a side leg pocket if I am wearing carpenter pants, which are about 75% of my jeans.

shomie911

Enlightened
Tactical, every since I was a kid. It just always felt more natural and made less light-shadows than the "arm at your side" style of holding because it's closer to your eye level.

Sometimes I use the cigar hold with the RA Twisty for when I need both hands AND a light.

I tailstand often when I need area lighting and need to work with both hands a little bit more than with the cigar hold.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a lot of grips depending upon the light and how cold/ wet it is outside. Holding a high powered flashlight by the head usually helps keep the fingers warm. Holding a larger light under the armpit allows me to keep hands in the pockets (or use them both).

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one to notice this thread went over 4 years without a post?! Wow!

Back on topic, I just got a D10 yesterday and mainly use a cigar hold with it since the knurling provides fantastic grip. With my previous EDC, the NDI, I mainly used the pencil grip.

Burgess

Flashaholic
My favorite (by far) is a Tactical grip,

with the flashlight held just above head level.

:candle:

PS: Great Thread, regardless of age !

_

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends, smaller lights I hold in a fist not to loss them out side:eek:, The task force in a cigar or thumb clicky fist grip, while my ground breakingly massive lights "literally:faint:" I sort of hold them like a baby with my arm under them and my other arm for support . Do this with a 20 pound dumbbell and then hold it with on arm at waist level and you can see the improvement, it's almost practical:ohgeez::D!!

okbohn

Newly Enlightened
"Hold it in your mouth"- I was thinking hand held only but ok, I'll include that as well. However, my teeth are not that strong.

I can't handle the metal against my teeth, so i fold my lips in--so it is teeth-lip-light.

that sounds so odd.....

Fird

Enlightened
cigar grip is my favorite but gets interchanged with tactical on occasion. sometimes I also use the 'traditional' flashlight grip even on my tailclickie lights, depends on what i'm doing with them.

Latest posts