How to get the most out of CPF

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
This is a great thread. Maybe the mods can make it required reading before someone is allowed to post, though I don't know how that would be implemented.
It would be cool if they had to view the first post for a minimum of 60 seconds, then check a box that they'd read it before being allowed to post.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont no if this is the right place to post this but i want the best ever 500+ lumen light that is very small takes one normal AA battery costs less than $15 and has at least a 5yr warranty which light should i get

...Just kidding! :grin2:

JAG

Thanks for giving me a good laugh, that was really funny! Humour enriching a great forum! :twothumbs

Best regards, Patric

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Here are a few things that I've come across recently:
  • If the beginning of your post starts with something like "Maybe I'm missing something here, but ...", you probably are. I would suggest searching and reading more before posting your topic.
  • Use the 'Preview Post' button. If your post looks bad, silly, or offensive while you're reading it in the "Preview" window, it is.
  • And if you're in an argument and have to post your resume in order to back up your point, you've already lost. ;)

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Here are a few things that I've come across recently:
  • If the beginning of your post starts with something like "Maybe I'm missing something here, but ...", you probably are. I would suggest searching and reading more before posting your topic.
  • Use the 'Preview Post' button. If your post looks bad, silly, or offensive while you're reading it in the "Preview" window, it is.
  • And if you're in an argument and have to post your resume in order to back up your point, you've already lost. ;)
Very excellent points and I might add, if you find any misspellings or other typos in your posts, even if it's months later, edit the post and fix them. Always proofread your written content.

Acid87

Enlightened
I think the most important thing is to treat others how you would want to be treated. I don't know if I've had my blinkers on in the past but recently it seems there's a lot of silly arguments.

Spread lumens not hate!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I think the most important thing is to treat others how you would want to be treated. I don't know if I've had my blinkers on in the past but recently it seems there's a lot of silly arguments.

Spread lumens not hate!
There was nothing negative here for you to post about - my previous post certainly shows no hatred, and moreover, was posted last August.

Part of how I treat others as I wish to be treated is to try and write in a clearly understandable fashion, with as few misspellings as possible and without any undue needling. Having your blinkers on is a mistake - realizing they're on and not doing anything about it is careless at best.

carrot

Flashaholic
There was nothing negative here for you to post about - my previous post certainly shows no hatred, and moreover, was posted last August.

Part of how I treat others as I wish to be treated is to try and write in a clearly understandable fashion, with as few misspellings as possible and without any undue needling. Having your blinkers on is a mistake - realizing they're on and not doing anything about it is careless at best.

KD, I don't think Acid87 is targeting you...

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
KD, I don't think Acid87 is targeting you...
Oh, okay!
icon7.gif

Norm

Retired Administrator
It's not necessary to quote a huge post full of pictures just to add "Beautiful lights" or "+1" etc.
How often do you see a huge quote with a one line reply. Quotes can be edited if you feel it's necessary to use a quote, you don't have to quote the post in it's entirety.
Norm

Phil828

Newly Enlightened
I am relatively new to this forum but enjoying it immensely, it is full of good information, advice, and camaraderie. Please keep in mind that not everyone uses the full site. For me my iPhone is my computer most of the time and I have never accessed this forum on a desktop computer. I use an app called Forum Runner to get around and I am not always able to find what I am looking for. So persons like me are not working with the same set of tools everyone else is working with. Forgive me if I happen to start a redundant thread.

DSigg101

Newly Enlightened
Thirdly, the positively obscure:
- Never ask for the best - If you ask "What's the best" without specifying a budget or a classification, you will get recommendations for lights that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. It never ceases to fail. The OP gets mad, starts lashing out at posters, posters respond in kind, the thread gets closed and people get banned. Not a happy thing. It's better to ask, "What can I get for $100, I need the best throw I can get."

Thank you very much! I am EXTREMELY new to the forum, and in my first few posts, i asked for "The Best" and this post was very helpful to ensure i get the best out of my posts in the near future! Thanks again!!

UPTHEORG

Newly Enlightened
Google has a neat feature if you want to search the entire website for a phrase or a word. You type "site:website.name[space]searchword" in the google search field. Here is an example:

site:www.candlepowerforums.com sunwayman fenix

to return a list of all threads in the site that have both "sunwayman" and "fenix" in them.

NOTE: The website is NOT underlined when you do this -- CPF software underlined it as part of this post!

Naturally, this can be used for any website, not just this forum!

Cheers,

Jim

Norm

Retired Administrator
Google has a neat feature if you want to search the entire website for a phrase or a word.

You can also just use the Google search box at the top of the page and achieve the same results.

Norm

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also just use the Google search box at the top of the page and achieve the same results.

Norm

Wouldn't you be able to do more than 1 search every 30 seconds by going straight on Google?

Peace Train

Enlightened
How do I post a named link (not sure what it's called - tiny url?)?. I remember reading something about it in the forum rules, so tried going advanced and clicked on the globe icon, but it doesn't seem to shorten the link much. I've searched CPF and even scrolled through the sticky's. (There really are a LOT of sticky's by the way. Kind of defeats the purpose?) Anyway, thanks in advance for the input! :)

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do I post a named link (not sure what it's called - tiny url?)?. I remember reading something about it in the forum rules, so tried going advanced and clicked on the globe icon, but it doesn't seem to shorten the link much. I've searched CPF and even scrolled through the sticky's. (There really are a LOT of sticky's by the way. Kind of defeats the purpose?) Anyway, thanks in advance for the input! :)

Do you mean a named link like this? Cree XP-L Press Release

If so, let's see... The format is "Hey Web site, here is a link (www. stuff). Here is what to call it (name)." On CPF, we use BBCode, where the 'code signal' is a Square Bracket: ][. Since the web site reads all the brackets as code, I will write the code with parentheses instead of brackets. Replace )( with ][ and you're golden.

Code:
(url=http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp/Discrete-Directional/XLamp-XPL)Cree XP-L Press Release(/url)

Code:
[URL="http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp/Discrete-Directional/XLamp-XPL"]Cree XP-L Press Release[/URL]