How's The Weather There ?

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
things here in central Illinois have improved, but we also were impacted by the big storm moving across the middle of the US a couple of days ago.

We got a lot of rain and freezing rain. Combined with high winds, there were tree branches breaking off and taking out the power lines, as well as whole trees toppling over due to the soil just being too saturated with rain to support the trees when impacted with 40mph winds.

As an indication of the situation, let me just offer this view of the nearby bike trail (multi-user path) when I ran errands on the bike yesterday...

24070340505_2a22ed2e37_z_d.jpg

The ice was pretty nasty on the overpasses too. I discovered that the bike lane on the nearby overpass was still covered with ice, although hidden by an inch of snow. The back end of the bike slid out as soon as I was on the ice, and I was barely able to stand up! Not coincidentally, there were two power poles knocked down by cars at the ends of the bridge. :)
I suspect that the roads were warm enough to avoid ice build-up, and the drivers were taken by surprise when they hit that icy bridge.

Between the trees and the drivers, the metro area lost power to roughly a third of its households.. 41,000, according to the news. That was on Monday... I lost power at 9:30am. Power was restored at 7:30am on Tuesday. There are still some people waiting to have power restored.

Despite not being a full-fledged flashlight nerd, my assortment of flashlights and bicycle lights fulfilled my need for batteries and illumination. The Maglite XL100 was very useful... the ability to dim it to a very low level provided enough light to do routine tasks without drawing much power. Having a portable jump-start battery was good too... I was able to run my laptop via an inverter for a few hours.

I know that some folks in the audience wait for a chance to actually need their flashlights and stash of batteries, but it's a very good feeling to have power come back on and be able to cook food, take a warm shower, and heat the rooms! Thanks to the folks at the electric utility company for working hard in nasty weather and fixing the lines, poles, and transformers!

ven

Flashaholic
Rain, then drizzle followed by rain, then cloudy, then lots of...............rain:rolleyes:

Did i mention rain?

Thoughts with all those effected by the terrible floods up north and not far away from me, devastating is an understatement.

OCD

Enlightened
Weathers fine...low 30's after record rain last weekend. Now just waiting for the rivers to recede after record flooding. Two major interstates and two other highways all closed due to flooding (all of which) were my only ways to cross one of the rivers to get to work, so I the wife and I stayed home today. My water district pumping station went under water, so now we are under a boil order. Compared to others who have lost everything due to the flooding, we are lucky with just a little inconvenience.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Everything as usual today at Lake Michigan:wave:
b99644253z.1_20160101124704_000_gd5duqms.1-0.jpg

..you'll learn the water is warmer than the air this time of year

btw= not official yet, but Dec. was warmest ever in Wisconsin

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey StarHalo, that is a lovely blue sky! I've spent some time in SoCal and the weather was quite nice (although some of that was in the old days when the morning smog was bad). I recall a December where I was sitting on the pier at Seal Beach and writing Christmas cards. :)

My theory is that southern California's non-exciting weather is compensated by the tendency of the ground to start moving or the foliage to burn uncontrollably... not to mention the issues of water supply. I could imagine spending a few weeks in the winter in San Diego, just to get some variety.

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing:

I must admit i am mighty jealous...........only thing i have going is darkness from 4pm:p................just too rainy out to enjoy:fail:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, talk about dropping a turd in someone's punch bowl. :laughing:

~ Chance

but you'll note that I didn't even mention the traffic!

When I was living in St. Louis, I traveled a lot to see a supplier in the Long Beach area (Rancho Dominguez, actually). It was great, especially in the winter! But there are drawbacks, such as cost of living, traffic, concerns about water (even back then.. around 1990), earthquakes (got to experience a little one rated at 5.6), etc. The cost of housing was crazy too... lots of folks at the supplier had to commute a couple of hours each way in order to be able to afford a decent place.

Every place has its virtues, and southern California undeniably has some fine weather. Just be prepared to pay the price for it! :)

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the thread started on 12/19/2015 and it's already 1/1/2016( have not had much time for my fav forum)...it is currently 61 degrees with blue skies and sunshine. Forecast for a long time to come is....blue skies and sunshine. The cool advantage is that it is warm enough to play at night and try out various flashlights...

kj2

Flashaholic
4 deg C, drizzle, thick clouds.
Some weather models tell winter could kick in, starting coming week. (wet)snow and temperature below 0 C is expected.

7:30am and it's 25 deg F. Forecast calls for a sunny day with a high of 35 F. Worst part is there's currently a Stage 2 Burn Ban, so no fire in the pellet stove. I hate not being able to have a fire. I hurt my back on Tuesday, so i'm not able to do anything but sit in front of the computer.

Happy New Year, CPF Family!

~ Chance