I used my flashlight for self defense last week.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
jbroker, my comments were directed towards the mention of Masaad Ayoob. I think he's a joke. The others I'm not familiar with. I would just be very weary of anything read in a magazine(rag). Especially anything the FBI does, some of their decision making is laughable.

There is one man/school I would love to train with, Ken Good at Strategos International. He's one of the very few instructors that have actually "been there, dont that".

My main point that I want to make clear, somebody shining a light in an already irritated mans face without proper training is asking for trouble. Especially when all he has is a light. It worked this time, fortunately.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
...There is one man/school I would love to train with, Ken Good at Strategos International. He's one of the very few instructors that have actually "been there, dont that".

[/ QUOTE ]
Tkl,

There are several posts in this thread from PistolSmith. I think there was a similar thread in Strategos. This is an important issue for me personally as the sudden use of EDC bright light followed immediately by Fox spray is my planned and practiced mode of self defense. I'm an older guy and can't rely on anything else in my gun hating city.

KEN GOOD ON LIGHT AS A ''FORCE OPTION''

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
Your link doesn't work - it's a link to a file on your hard drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry! I'll see what I can do about that

BN

jbroker83

Enlightened
The overall thing I would like to state is this: If you are in a dark setting and know that someone is coming, with thier eyes already adjusted to the dark, shining a 65 Lumen or brighter blast WILL temporarily stun, blind, and startle them...most reactions is to shut thier eyes, lift a hand up to cover thier face---now, what more of a vulnerable position do you need??? I have a Streamlight TL-3, with 175 Lumens at my disposal---if I were to shine that in to someone's eyes---I know it would buy me a couple (but important) seconds to reposition to a better tactical angle, make the first move in a confrontation, or possibly get out of range of a short range attack....

AggiePhil

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sharp said:
....well, and now the third stage, shoot if you consider it appropiate. Maybe just in the air to frighten him.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Shooting into the air is NOT a recommended practice. If you've ever shot a gun, you should know why. Neither is firing "warning shots". Firing "warning shots" will not work and will not hold up in court. Your firearm is a last ditch attempt to be used ONLY to stop an immediate threat posing death or grave bodily harm. Firing "warning shots" demonstrates that the threat was not immediate enough to warrant the use of lethal force (although you have used it) and you will be torn apart in court. Bottom line...only use your firearm to shoot an attacker who is going to kill you.

[ QUOTE ]
Sharp said:
Another idea would be a baton with a modded batonlite on it. That would be a good non-lethal solution.

[/ QUOTE ]
A baton is NOT a non-leathal solution. Batons and other impact weapons are considered lethal weapons right below firearms on the law enforcement force continuium. It goes like this:

1) verbal commands
2) empty hand physical control
3) closed hand physical control (strikes, pain compliance, joint manipulation)
4) chemical weapons (OC spray)
5) impact weapons (batons)
6) firearms

I am not suggesting that citizens follow this force continum, because that isn't how the law works. Rather, I am demonstrating that a baton is not considered a non-lethal option. In fact, in many states (including Texas), the use of batons is not allowed by citizens because the use of a baton in a life-threatening situation could imply that the person wanted to maim their attacker rather than simply stop the threat at all costs. Basically, if you life is in danger and you're going to be killed, you don't hold back and hope that you can injure the attacker with a baton enough that he'll stop. Carrying a baton in Texas will get you slapped with a UCW (Unlawful Carry of a Weapon). They're taken VERY seriously.

Sorry, just had to set the record straight about that.

Frangible

Enlightened
Re: I used my flashlight for self defense last wee

Add some bright lights and a fake security camera. Sounds like it's a recurring problem for you. Could also install a gate.

The shotgun, while amusing, is the wrong response for an unarmed drunken indiot and will just get you in trouble. For you to brandish a weapon or use one, your life must be in imminent danger.

Pepper spray, while not always effective, would be a good tool. But the best would be making it so these situations don't happen in the future. Make your driveway less of a lover's lane.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to the CPF Aggie. Thanks for the legal and tactical info that many of us would never consider.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

I just re-read the initial post, as I had forgotten this thread - in it Chris said he would assume his wife's life is in danger no matter what she said. Good idea, to a point. You should also have a "code word" which basically means "Yeah, even though I'm saying 'I'm OK', there is a MAJOR life threating problem" - and it MIGHT not even be violence as a problem - Let's say your in a crowd, and you don't want to cause a panic do to say a flood. The call might be "Hi Honey, yeah, the flood situation is under control. Listen, tell Marvin that I need some crab cakes next time I see him" The key word might be "Crab Cakes" - pick some word or phrase you can work into your conversation that is innocuious

junior

Enlightened

Chris,
Based on what you have stated, you did the best you could with what you had on you. You kept a cool head and contacted the police to cover your tracks and to follow the laws.

Doing the should of or could of thing is neither here or there, but a good review about how you could better your self defense is in order.

Ive been in quite a few situations i wished i would not have been in and from my opinion, again, you did the best with what you had.

Glad your wife and yourself made it out with no harm.

Be Blessed!