If Your Life Depended On It...

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here as I have already offered here but it is also worth noting that the newest ZL interface can easily be programmed as a simple single level interface too as needed and pretty simply switched between this and the more standard ZL way AND even a third entirely different interface as well!

More flexible really than any other UI that I have seen.
Thanks for the additional info. I take it that multi-group UI come out in late 2017? I had seen mention of a "new UI" in 2014 for the headlamps, but I'm guessing that was an interim UI revision from the previous one (2013 and earlier). See Zebralight model history doc.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree AV.

I am working every day where I am lost essentially with no light.
So it is just as important that I carry more than 1 light that I trust than which brand it might be usually.

I always carry a Zebralight and usually a Convoy S2+ as second so that I get more throw than the ZL in my second light.

While I do trust Malkoff,SF and HDS maybe at a higher level I am also reluctant to carry the extra weight and expense in my EDC where there is a decent chance I could loose one of them too!

I have never had the ZL or Convoy fail on me either.

I also always have 2 or 3 lights on keychains and they have all been dead on reliable as needed,except the Nitecores which all seem flaky to me.

LGT

Enlightened
Basic survival? Peak eiger. Never had or heard of one failing. AAA batteries and potted head. Simple but totally functional/ useful.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS, Malkoff, Elzetta, Oveready, Surefire, Okluma and Prometheus are some of the lights that I trust. (Zebralight is one that I would use as a headlamp but it's not in the same league as the above lights) However, If I was in a position that my life depended on my light like caving, I would have multiple lights with me.

User Interface makes a difference for me as well. I prefer the HDS Rotary as it is the most intuitive interface from the lights above. For simplicity, Malkoff and Elzetta win in that regard.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one that is a worthless pile of Stainless.
Sadly.

Basic survival? Peak eiger. Never had or heard of one failing. AAA batteries and potted head. Simple but totally functional/ useful.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have my opinions and favorites as well. But I'm just a regular joe; I go out of my way to NOT put my life on the line. But I have honest appreciation for those who do, on a regular basis. And from what I've read here on CPF over a great many years: loads of LEOs, firefighters, medics, etc. trust Streamlight. Nothing flashy, just function.

I have approximately six zillion lights of every shape, brand and size. But I still have a place for simple but good quality, basic reliable lights.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1 Maglite 3D LED
#2 Malkoff MD2 M61W High / Low Ring
#3 Lumintop Tool AAA

I'm going to say D cell Maglite although I may be a little biased. :grin2:

Seriously though, doesn't anyone look at this from a self defense / survival standpoint. I would never advocate using a flashlight as a weapon but do you think a Malkoff is going to have the stopping power of a D cell Mag? A Mag is also versatile enough to use as a hammer or ice knocker too. I've used mine many times taking ice off trailers or taking stuck hitch pins out. Sure it may not be as easy to carry as a Surefire but I do think it's a more versatile tool. For that reason I'll always carry a 3D LED Mag and for road/camping trips it's still my go to light.

Another survival point is that these are going to run on readily available Alkalines. Try finding or charging 18650s in the middle of the night out in the sticks of PA. You can pick up D cells at any Sheetz or run rechargeable NiMHs if you're closer to home.

A close second is my Malkoff MD2 with M61W and high/low ring with a couple spare 18650s. I have to have multiple outputs to increase run time.

EDIT: I also always carry an AAA Lumintop Tool. Love that I can clip it on my hat to use easily while working on my bike or truck, love the 3 modes and that it uses easy to find alkalines. Now that I think about it this might be my #2 choice over the Malkoff.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have one that is a worthless pile of Stainless.
Sadly.
If you wouldn't mind sharing the specifics, I think it would be of significant interest here on CPF.

I have heard of (and had some experience with) issues from the 3mm / 5mm emitter era, but major failures from the "modern" (power emitter) era with Peak seem exceedingly rare.

IIRC, there was one post many years ago of an optic eventually melting from heat with the use of IMR in a Logan, although IMR are not recommended for use by Peak (in that particular model)

Not sure I can easily think of another example.

Note that I don't include QTC flickering and such in this category, which is certainly common, as I consider that almost a "consumable / wear" type function.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is an Oveready 219 Mule in SS.
It never really worked but sometimes would turn on.
I finally took it apart to find the QTC destroyed,I think and could never get any real support from anyone and am just reluctant to send it off at this point.
Neither Peak nor OR will send me any parts at all and want me to send it to them.
I just never have.

The head works on another Eiger but no part of the SS tube body will make contact and work with either head.

I have several Logans and all have been fine.

If you wouldn't mind sharing the specifics, I think it would be of significant interest here on CPF.

I have heard of (and had some experience with) issues from the 3mm / 5mm emitter era, but major failures from the "modern" (power emitter) era with Peak seem exceedingly rare.

IIRC, there was one post many years ago of an optic eventually melting from heat with the use of IMR in a Logan, although IMR are not recommended for use by Peak (in that particular model)

Not sure I can easily think of another example.

Note that I don't include QTC flickering and such in this category, which is certainly common, as I consider that almost a "consumable / wear" type function.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, that sounds like a QTC contact issue. It is likely easily repaired, should you decide to pursue that.

The QTC could also be bypassed, if you wouldn't mind having fixed output instead.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Peak lights are the ones I trust the most. I have had surefires with contact issues, many other lights with mostly switch failures, but never a problem with a Peak other than some qtc inconsistencies.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have had (at least minor) issues with every major brand with which I have significant experience, including all of those commonly rated highly for reliability and durability.

Which is why I strongly believe in the "two is one" philosophy. Typically, I will have several sources of lighting handy.

That said, if I had to choose based purely on this criterion ... Peak (for pocket lights) and Malkoff (for handheld torches)

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix has never let me down.

The TK35 (2015 Edition) is the toughest, most reliable production light I've ever used.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had (at least minor) issues with every major brand with which I have significant experience, including all of those commonly rated highly for reliability and durability.

Which is why I strongly believe in the "two is one" philosophy. Typically, I will have several sources of lighting handy.

That said, if I had to choose based purely on this criterion ... Peak (for pocket lights) and Malkoff (for handheld torches)
What are some of the more notable or common issues you've encountered that affect flashlight reliability, even with the most reputable brands?
I do agree, it definitely makes sense to have a backup... because you never know.

archimedes

Flashaholic
What are some of the more notable or common issues you've encountered that affect flashlight reliability, even with the most reputable brands?
I do agree, it definitely makes sense to have a backup... because you never know.

Pretty much the full spectrum, I'd say.

This accounts for my preference for backup(s)

Most common, with quality brands, would be (broadly speaking) contact problems. I would include switch failures as the largest subtype of these.

This accounts for my preference for twisty switches.

Next, would be mode glitches.

This accounts for my preference for single mode, on/off, flashlights. Maybe a mechanical resistored high/low, if one must.

With budget brands, unpotted electronics, and unpredictable insta-failure.

This accounts for my preference for quality brands.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff, Surefire, and Maglite would be my choices. The last light I used for duty before retirement was the MD2 and was very happy with it. Had an HDS, cool light but no. Guys I worked with had streamlights and they swore by them, very reliable.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff, Surefire, and Maglite would be my choices. The last light I used for duty before retirement was the MD2 and was very happy with it. Had an HDS, cool light but no. Guys I worked with had streamlights and they swore by them, very reliable.

Can I ask why not the HDS? I have Surefire, HDS, First-Light and all have seen hard times

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Elzetta, Maglites, PKDL lights, or Streamlights depending on the task at hand. Oh, and I'm certain I have a SureFire or two to pick from.
Using primary fuel.

If it involves 'what do you rely on every day?' I'd say PKDL because that is my EDC lights.