If Your Life Depended On It...

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta, Maglites, PKDL lights, or Streamlights depending on the task at hand. Oh, and I'm certain I have a SureFire or two to pick from.
Using primary fuel.

If it involves 'what do you rely on every day?' I'd say PKDL because that is my EDC lights.

Well considering that I find myself in dark places that are foreign to me I am relying on mine to keep me alive every day,this is what I considered in answering this.
I already carry and use mine all the time.
Yesterday I was in the basement of an over 100 year old high rise building that was a Hotel at first and now is luxury apartments and has been through several extensive renovations over the years.
I had to find a control panel in a sub basement where I had never been before and was not at all sure where I was going.

Of course the lights down there are on Timers and I could easily still be wandering around down there if I had to rely on my phone for light like most idiot techs that I come across down there?
It was certainly more disorienting when they started going off but also just an adventure as I knew I would not be in the dark if things went the way I have planned.

This kind of thing happens all the time and I am often the only guy in the dark holding the light.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd take my Malkoff MD2 with a Triad Tail and an Oveready Nichia V4 Triple.
I'd also sneak my 170N HDS in my pocket.
If it's my last gasp, I may as well do it with gentle lighting.
P

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I ask why not the HDS? I have Surefire, HDS, First-Light and all have seen hard times

Mine failed on me during use, got glitchy and unreliable. It was also, imo, the least practical for a few reasons but especially price. They became very expensive, more bling then practical.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well considering that I find myself in dark places that are foreign to me I am relying on mine to keep me alive every day,this is what I considered in answering this.
I already carry and use mine all the time.
Yesterday I was in the basement of an over 100 year old high rise building that was a Hotel at first and now is luxury apartments and has been through several extensive renovations over the years.
I had to find a control panel in a sub basement where I had never been before and was not at all sure where I was going.

Of course the lights down there are on Timers and I could easily still be wandering around down there if I had to rely on my phone for light like most idiot techs that I come across down there?
It was certainly more disorienting when they started going off but also just an adventure as I knew I would not be in the dark if things went the way I have planned.

This kind of thing happens all the time and I am often the only guy in the dark holding the light.

I can relate. While not being shot at, ducking rocket propelled grenades or fighting off ninja attacks, when I need a light it needs to work everytime.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff. Elzetta. Surefire. Those will be my top choices. I almost always have a Malkoff in my EDC bag.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and I'm certain I have a SureFire or two to pick from.
Using primary fuel.

Just one or 2?

The more I think about it if I'm walking around quite a bit I don't take my Mags much any more I'm more likely to use something I can easily pocket like my MD4 or MD2. I always keep a Mini Mag and D cell Mag in my truck though because I always want something around that uses readily available Alkalines.

Tough question!

Sos24

Enlightened
The two brands that have proven dependable for me during harsh Navy shipboard use were Surefire and Fenix. I never had one of those fail despite being dropped on steel decks and nonskid, drenched in saltwater spray, extreme temperatures, etc.

Hotherps1

Newly Enlightened
For the last 10 years I've always had at the very least my Zebralight SC80 in my pocket and one of my Surefire 6P or 6Z to hand. Since getting into Malkoffs a few months ago I am always carrying a MD2 Hot in a Maxpedition belt pouch ... oh and a Surefire / Haley Strategic D3FT combat light.

While walking my dog these dark mornings and nights I'm wearing one of my Zebralight H600 headlamps.

I have a spare SureFire in my work bag and another in a holster mounted to the roll-cage of my Jeep Wrangler JKU.

I'm very much of the mind that "Two is one, and one is none".... I always carry 2 Rick Hinderer pens, 3 folding knives (different sizes), Leatherman wave and a rage of other gear.

DeniableAsset

Newly Enlightened
Simply,...Sure Fire.

Not because I think Elzetta, Malkoff or others aren't worth it, but because my own experience is that Streamlight has let me down (repeatedly) and that I haven't had occasion to use other brands because the Sure Fire lights I have just keep fighting on. Whether it's WMLs for my law enforcement career or hand-helds and headlamps for my current SAR work, they cover it.

That being said, I'm open to experimenting with other brands for less demanding tasks and lower risk endeavors.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much the full spectrum, I'd say.

This accounts for my preference for backup(s)

Most common, with quality brands, would be (broadly speaking) contact problems. I would include switch failures as the largest subtype of these.

This accounts for my preference for twisty switches.

Next, would be mode glitches.

This accounts for my preference for single mode, on/off, flashlights. Maybe a mechanical resistored high/low, if one must.

With budget brands, unpotted electronics, and unpredictable insta-failure.

This accounts for my preference for quality brands.
Thanks for sharing this. I'd long thought that a twisty mechanism is probably a safer bet than a mechanical switch... although it does present some limitations for the UI. Still, it seems to me that switch designs have improved significantly. I've been impressed with Zebralight's switch. As for potted, isn't that more of an issue with waterproofing? Or does that factor into long term shock protection?

Nephron44

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing this. I'd long thought that a twisty mechanism is probably a safer bet than a mechanical switch... although it does present some limitations for the UI. Still, it seems to me that switch designs have improved significantly. I've been impressed with Zebralight's switch. As for potted, isn't that more of an issue with waterproofing? Or does that factor into long term shock protection?

Potting, the way I understand it, helps prevent damage from shock and recoil. However, when I think about it, it may also help prevent damage if water were to get into the light, but it is not the primary function.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if my life depended on it, i would definatly take more than 1 light, no matter how reliable a light is, it may get damaged, or lost.
two is one, one is none

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HDS EDC and any Zebra light. Possibly any of my Jil lights that are direct drive and some of my mods that are direct drive also.

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
My modern LED flashlights are Malkoff, Surefire and Streamlight. None have let me down but they're not used in abusive environments other than the occasional... oooops... bang on the ground. Most used is a Streamlight Stinger HPL. Every night, rain or dry, 30 minutes up to an hour.

If your life depended on it... I believe that understanding the need and selecting a flashlight that operates best to accommodate that need is equally or more important than brand. That said, if I had to pick one of my flashlights it would be the Malkoff MD2 L-M-H with bezel switch. From 400 to sub lumen, it's versatile enough to meet most applications.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
That said, if I had to pick one of my flashlights it would be the Malkoff MD2 L-M-H with bezel switch. From 400 to sub lumen, it's versatile enough to meet most applications.

I've read that the M361 doesn't mate well with the high/low ring. Sometimes it's finicky in the ultra low settings, as it wasn't designed to operate with the resistor in the circuit. Haven't tried it personally, but it seems plausible.

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
I've read that the M361 doesn't mate well with the high/low ring. Sometimes it's finicky in the ultra low settings, as it wasn't designed to operate with the resistor in the circuit. Haven't tried it personally, but it seems plausible.

Thanks for the tip.

Talked with Gene prior to purchase and ordered the complete light over the phone from him Aug 2016. Actually, me and a friend ordered two at the same time. We specifically talked about the bezel switch and what would be expected outputs in low mode, Gene mentioned no concerns. Nothing finicky in low modes (or any mode)... so far anyway.

So now you've planted doubt in my head about my if your life depended on it... flashlight. Gee thanks! haha...

Last edited:

Nimitz68

Enlightened

I had heard that as well, and Gene specifically states that on their website. However, I purchased the Malkoff MD2, high/low ring, and M361 Neutral drop-in after asking Todd to assemble and test the combination, and have had no issues with mine. It's a very useful six output light.

If I were forced to pick I would have to say Malkoff, HDS, and Surefire in no particular order.