If Your Life Depended On It...

Signalcorpsoperator

Newly Enlightened
Surefire, without a doubt! I haven't had any trouble with Streamlight products to-date, but I've used Surefire lights for years, and swear by them. . .plus their customer service is second to none.

I have a Malkoff MDC that I find myself using rather often, and it's top notch as well! That and one of the Elzetta Alphas, which is simply put, a tank of a light...

For Maglites, as long as they were the newer LED versions, or an older one upgraded to an LED, I'd have no problem carrying one of them. I'm rather partial to Maglite products, but dropping them can take a bit of a toll on the bulbs, so the LED models I have found myself gravitating towards. . .

Tom

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Maglites, as long as they were the newer LED versions, or an older one upgraded to an LED, I'd have no problem carrying one of them. I'm rather partial to Maglite products, but dropping them can take a bit of a toll on the bulbs, so the LED models I have found myself gravitating towards. . .

The push-button mags were fine. I've had nothing but problems with their twisty versions (including LEDs). Awful! Everyone I had soon turned into a flicker nightmare. Sure, the light still worked, but looked like a flashlight you'd see in a horror movie.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix is my go to. I own several of their lights, most have been well used and abused, and have never had an issue. Also the majority of those Fenixes are AA which I prefer over other battery types.

I do have one Elzetta which would be a primary hard use light but I don't like having to keep up with CR123s. If I owned any Surefire or Malkoff lights no doubt they would be a go too for survival as well.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going by sheer numbers, I would have to submit that those in the police and first responders services depended on the good old incan Maglite more than any other light for both their own an others lives.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Going by sheer numbers, I would have to submit that those in the police and first responders services depended on the good old incan Maglite more than any other light for both their own an others lives.

That is probably true. But, thats not to say that there are not better options today.

Mjskia

Newly Enlightened
I would have to choose the light that has NEVER failed me in any situation. My Thrunite TN12.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good read. It's a big decision to stay put or try and walk out. Every situation will be different. But when people say to stay put so you don't get more lost I always smile a little. I mean how can you be more lost then lost lol

I think the reasoning to stay put would be so ones footsteps can be retraced. For example someone who had a car break down or got lost from a campsite or trail. In a case like this I think he did a good job but I'm no S&R expert.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I do winter camping in some real nasty weather. The light I pack as the ultimate backup is a Surefire G2 with M61NLL. The light I use the most is probably an Armytek Wizard and then a Nitecore LR30 lantern. But the Malkoff with 2XCR123s is my OMG a frozen tree limb just took out my shelter in an ice storm light.

Lumen83

Enlightened
But when people say to stay put so you don't get more lost I always smile a little. I mean how can you be more lost then lost lol

Ya, its kind of funny when you think about it. It just means further from civilization/rescue. A big risk where I live would be for people to continue to wander and fall through the snow into a river, get soaked, get hypothermia, etc. A lot of people have died that way in the mountains. Gets dark, people panic, try to take what they think is the straight line back to the trail head instead of attempting to follow the trail or stay put. End up getting hurt or getting soaked, the temp drops, and then its bad news from there.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I do winter camping in some real nasty weather. The light I pack as the ultimate backup is a Surefire G2 with M61NLL. The light I use the most is probably an Armytek Wizard and then a Nitecore LR30 lantern. But the Malkoff with 2XCR123s is my OMG a frozen tree limb just took out my shelter in an ice storm light.

That's a good pick for tough outdoors light.

Latest posts