In the Spirit of CandlePowerForums

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Recently, I noticed my P60 Flashlight List used by someone else,
both in CandlePowerForums and elsewhere online for personal gain.

I was never asked to use it, never a simple PM.
Regardless if its viewed as Public Information,...a quick Private Message saying, 'hey, would you mind if....'
Instead, the List was just Copy & Pasted and used.

Is this in the Spirit of CandlePowerForums?

We are a community here within CPF,
it would be nothing more than common courtesy to ask,
...are we entitled that respect?

Note: I'm not trying to bait ect.. just asking CPF member thoughts.

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Spirit of CandlePowerForums

I understand your frustration and support your right to point it out but I disagree with your premise, what one rude person did is not the spirit of these forums.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Recently, I noticed my P60 Flashlight List used by someone else,
both in CandlePowerForums
Don't see much of a problem here. You put it on CPF for our reference and someone putting it on CPF in just another spot seems OK as long as you are credited.
and elsewhere online
Now that is a problem. You made it for CPF and it should stay on CPF until you put it somewhere else.
for personal gain.
Ah now that makes both instances shitty.
:shakehead

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic

IMO, this is the spirit of CPF.

Orbital, have you tried contacting these people using your stuff without quoting you as a source? Most people I know will answer with an apology and make things right.

da.gee

Enlightened

Not cool to take it off the site. You should always receive credit as well.

Egsise

Banned

Who made the original list and how to proof that.

If something is in the internetz then expect it to spread freely, I think it is childish to think that it would not happen.

Make it a .jpg and watermark it?

Vesper

Enlightened

A request to the author in all cases is good pool. I deal with copyright/IP infringers all the time in a part-time job I have and about half don't have a clue that they're infringing, especially when the internet is involved. Once they know they often stop without much trouble. The other half give you the bird and invite you to try and stop them. A simple message might straighten it out. Then again maybe not.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't see where those are all using his list. I don't see his
Aurora SH290, X-06-1/2/3

listed at the beginning of those links for example.
I only looked at the first one that came up and if you look at MattK's website you can clearly see he just copied and pasted everything over. Maybe he missed the first one as he was highlighting what he was going to copy. I agree that it would have been best to have just asked before taking. And then if you were going to take anyway at least change some of the wording or punctuation so it is not such an obvious act.:shrug: Either way it is somewhat of a gray area.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

I started this List a couple years ago and have placed it in only one other spot,..'flatout' listing.

When someone from within CPF community takes it, and thinks there's absolutely no need to ask,
that's a clear reflection of ones character.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Is the person representing themself as you also? It appears that way from the following post.

Re: * P60 Flashlight List {host}

by flatout » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:50 pm
Spotpuff wrote:Wasn't this list originally by Orbital? Either way... yay.

+

Hiya, this is orbital, I just started a different username for Light-Reviews.
I'll try to keep it up to date, let me know if I'm missed any.

cheers!

Empath

Flashaholic
Orbital, make an actual accusation, identifying the "infringements" with links and names. Otherwise, this thread will likely be closed. It may be closed anyway, since the Jeers forum would have been the proper place to complain about such "infringements" and your disdain for the "spirit of CandlePowerForums".

A thread serving nothing more than encouraging guessing at what you're complaining about isn't worthwhile.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orbital, make an actual accusation, identifying the "infringements" with links and names. Otherwise, this thread will likely be closed. It may be closed anyway, since the Jeers forum would have been the proper place to complain about such "infringements" and your disdain for the spirit of CPF.

A thread serving nothing more than encouraging guessing at what you're complaining about isn't worthwhile.

+

No complaints here,..concerned maybe.

We all have our own standards, people do as they see fit.

Yes, the person is named within the first dozen posts.
Enough said

Last edited:

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
Orbital, let me know if this is correct...

So are you saying CPF's MattK copied the text of your list and posted it on his site (BatteryJunction.com) without giving you credit? Your posts were pretty vague with respect to the who and where, so I'm trying to piece this together.

I went to both the P60 Flashlight List on here (CPF) and to the list on BatteryJunction. It appears there are slight differences in the two lists, but I pasted contents of each list in a text editor, removed carriage returns and commas, and found at least four unbroken strings of text that were identical between the lists:

Code:
CF: M6)...SlightmodificationsneededPentagonLightX1Xenonchassis{tobeconfirmed}PilaGL2/3/4RomisenRC-E4RC-M4RX-ASmartfireA-1T1
BJ: M6)...SlightmodificationsneededPentagonLightX1Xenonchassis{tobeconfirmed}PilaGL2/3/4RomisenRC-E4RC-M4RX-ASmartfireA-1T1
Code:
CF: VariousWeaponlightmodelsTacticalOperationsProductsStryker(slightmodificationsnecessary)Xenonmodels
BJ: VariousWeaponlightmodelsTacticalOperationsProductsStryker(slightmodificationsnecessary)Xenonmodels
Code:
CF: T6T9T12R12HellfighterX-4X-8HuntlightFT-01PJFT-01XSE(Luxeonversionsonboth)KaidomainKDTough
BJ: T6T9T12R12HellfighterX-4X-8HuntlightFT-01PJFT-01XSE(Luxeonversionsonboth)KaidomainKDTough
Code:
CF: SF6SF9SF12SpiderfireQ5R2X-O3SuperfireC1seeUltrafiremodelsSurefire{SF}
BJ: SF6SF9SF12SpiderfireQ5R2X-O3SuperfireC1seeUltrafiremodelsSurefire{SF}
The version hosted at CPF has additional information ("BrinyteTA-01TA-02A/B", "Javelin", "LumensFactorySeraphSP-6&9MalkoffMD2&4Twisty{MalkofflightsarebestsuitedforMalkoffdrop-ins}", and so on).

Status
Not open for further replies.