Incoming - What do you have coming in the mail??

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the recommendations, guys! The NL drop-in is one that I was definitely considering. I imagine that I'll end up with more than one drop-in so I can play around with some different options. I just picked up some KeepPower 2500mAh 16650 cells for my MDC and I assume those will work in the 6P as well as with the Malkoff drop-ins?

Those'll probably work.
Mr Malkoff built his modules for use in a wide range of voltages. You can see that when at malkoff devices reading details of given M61... iirc near the bottom of the description.

dhunley1

Enlightened
Those'll probably work.
Mr Malkoff built his modules for use in a wide range of voltages. You can see that when at malkoff devices reading details of given M61... iirc near the bottom of the description.

I did see the voltage range in the description. I just wanted to be sure because in the description for multi mode drop-ins, it says they're designed for use with single Li Ion cells and the single mode drop-ins only mention run times for two CR123 cells. From what I've gathered in my research, I should be good to go with 16650 cells in any of them as long as I don't let them go below 3.4v, which in normal circumstances I never would.

cerbie

Enlightened
I did see the voltage range in the description. I just wanted to be sure because in the description for multi mode drop-ins, it says they're designed for use with single Li Ion cells and the single mode drop-ins only mention run times for two CR123 cells.
1 CR123: 3V
1 Lithium Ion, of a typical chemistry: 4.2V

Two rechargeables is a lot higher than two primaries, plus they will sag less under load.

From what I've gathered in my research, I should be good to go with 16650 cells in any of them as long as I don't let them go below 3.4v, which in normal circumstances I never would.
Somewhere around that voltage, the light will drop out of regulation, and you'll have plenty of time, while it slowly dims, to replace the batteries, before the voltage starts getting too low (that might not apply to an SHO, however :)).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
1 CR123: 3V
1 Lithium Ion, of a typical chemistry: 4.2V

Two rechargeables is a lot higher than two primaries, plus they will sag less under load.

Somewhere around that voltage, the light will drop out of regulation, and you'll have plenty of time, while it slowly dims, to replace the batteries, before the voltage starts getting too low (that might not apply to an SHO, however :)).

The M61's were designed when rechargeables were more of a novelty than the norm. But he knew the future was rechargeables. So the numbers are used to imply runtime on the pretty consistant storage amounts of primaries as rechargeble capacities, and output have continued to progress.

And when your cell hits 3.4 as stated the light will begin to dim until either your protection kicks in or battery can no longer supply enough juice to keep it lit.

cerbie

Enlightened
Surely, there have been electronics updates to the modules in the past, what, seven, years? I'm sure that by now, any of the M61s available will have been designed with Lithium Ion use in mind. But, a wider input voltage range will not be free (while I'm sure the cost of parts would be easy to recoup, it could necessitate reduced efficiency, and possibly require a more complicated design), primaries require a wider input voltage range than a single Lithium Ion cell, that range in within the range of Lithium primaries, both will be mostly depleted, but still have some usable juice left, without damaging the RCRs, as long as the output is much reduced, around 3.3-3.5V, and a single Lithium Ion cell can fit in the same space as two CR123s front to back. Even assuming rechargeables from the start, not risking a user frying things would be the best reason I could think of to support 8.4V (said users aught to know better).

Last edited:

dhunley1

Enlightened
Thanks again, you two. I'm still pretty new to this world, so sorry if my questions seem silly. I think I have a pretty good understanding now, though.

dhunley1

Enlightened
Decided to go with the M61N. I just ordered that along with 24 Battery Station CR123A batteries and 1 KeepPower 16650.

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
A PhotonFanatic Double Grove Ti DLC with 5 green trits.
frantic.gif

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Decided to go with the M61N. I just ordered that along with 24 Battery Station CR123A batteries and 1 KeepPower 16650.

Good choice(s).

Arrived today.
Lots of bulbs and another minty Fulton Tom Thumb...plus a minty HIPCO 2aaa penlight.
Yep a vintage triple a light.
Trouble is the 224 bulb is blown. So...some Chicago Miniature 224's were sourced and ordered. 30 oughta be enough.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I just ordered a Lumintop Tool AAA in copper from Amazon, $24. I've been wanting a copper light, and that seemed like a good price, so I grabbed it.

Ishango

Enlightened
I order the JETBeam JET-I MK from GearBest. Wanted another AA twisty and like the idea of running it with a 14500.

I also ordered several BLF 348 (SingFire SF-348) to see what the fuss is all about.

ven

Flashaholic
:naughty: awesome!

Just about to nip out for a few beam pics, the k60vn is one of the lights! .............no hi cri though:mecry:

ven

Flashaholic
Just got this in the mail:

DriverVN2, CuHS, XPL HI 5000K

:cool: the little light that is HUGE in output, this light made me grin more than the tk75vnQ70.................just ridiculous. Also drivervnx2 just is so at home on this clicky ..............perfect! oh and congrats on the pocket rocket:)

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
:cool: the little light that is HUGE in output, this light made me grin more than the tk75vnQ70.................just ridiculous. Also drivervnx2 just is so at home on this clicky ..............perfect! oh and congrats on the pocket rocket:)

Thanks for the reply. Been eyeing one for a while and couldn't resist it at the July Sale price. You're right about drivervnx2 - so versatile this may become my new travel light :thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
Most of my drivervnx2 lights either end up on 30/100 no memory(like work mule as 30% is perfect)
1/30/100 memory, or sometimes 1/5/15/50/70/100 with memory, not too user friendly with 6 modes, but can work with really bright lights to tune the perfect output, 15% of 15,000 is maybe 2200lm is and a perfect amount of light for long runs............example.

Callum loves strobe:ohgeez:so he has that set in with the group on his TOOLvn

Overall, my fav is 1/30/100 as there is a nice low, a usable bright 30% and obviously 100% crazy grin "look at me" mode:D just to remind us we are holding something special. The rc40vnT is set to this group, but saying that i use 100% on that the most as heat is not an issue!! This light has changed a lot for me, most get so hot quick(understandable), mass helps=full on crazy fix for long duration's............long enough to get grin ache :laughing:

Enjoy:)