Interesting Video Finds Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understanding how lithium-ion batteries fail.

Skip to 1:02 for the goodness. Thermal camera showing a vent with flame event.

X-raying batteries. I love this video.

The researchers used the LG 18650 NMC type commodity cells to do their testing. What they found was a certain gas-induced degradation of the internal structure caused short-circuiting, leading to the thermal runaway. In layman terms, they saw gas pockets inside the battery. These pockets allowed the positive and negative electrodes to touch and short-circuit which helps create even more gas pockets. The author's believe that by first identifying and understanding the problem, they can apply the knowledge to finding a solution - which is very agreeable and desirable for anyone working with battery technology.

In their experiment they found the thermal runaway even did not start until the shell reached 230 °C. There thermal imaging camera only goes up to 250, so the moment of explosion is too hot to see, however they are still very interesting videos.
http://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...w-this-week-in-lithium-ion-battery-technology

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
This last video has traumatized me badly... one of the links after the video lead to girls in very short dresses riding mechanical bulls! My head is spinning...

ven

Flashaholic
Wont really class as interesting , but all the same, my little friend having some greens

And meal worms

Only a baby at 11 months now,such a great easy pet to have and the kids love holding him. Just sits in your hand chilling out.........

And after a hard day...........good impression of road kill

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.