• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

It about Time!

DallasA

Enlightened
greg_in_canada said:
Yup. The Duracell OEM page shows 1/2 hour to 0.8 volts at 1 Watt load.
http://www.duracell.com/oem/primary/alkaline/mx2400.asp

Maybe 90 minutes is for a lithium cell (or Oxyride?). Or maybe the light
has a 1W LED but is driven at less than 1 watt.

Thanks for the sneak-peak photo Dallas.

Greg

Like, I said this is all " New Curcit Design " that has take over a year to max it full capablity. On alkaline this is the estimated at this time. I have run the curcit direct with a 1.5v alkaline battery for a total of 16 diffrent test and this is the estimated until I have the full unit in hand so I can test with heat being a veriable.

Thanks

MJ

DallasA

Enlightened
Lebkuecher said:
Thanks for the heads up MJ, Can you tell us what the price will be and will you take preorders?

Also will this light be regulated with a chart curve similar to the Caribbean (Gradual) or a sharp step down curve like the Mediterranean when it falls out of regulation. (I'm looking at the charts on your webpage)

Good to see your feeling better and back at it.

I happy to say the prcing will be cheeper then the Kino Bay due to the fact of the new curcuit design.

The regulation drop down that I am getting right now is like this. http://www.peakledsolutions.net/images/1wAAABT.bmp

Once it reaches 50% it starts to drop faster into lower CP then will steady out like all of are units and continue to run for several more hours.

keep in mind this looks good, but these test were not done with full units to test it under heat. This will play a factor so even though it looks better on the graph I always estimate lower until the final number are in and then I still give the numbers lower so the custmer gets what I say they will get.

Hope this helps answer your question for now

MJ

DallasA

Enlightened
greg_in_canada said:
That's true. If they use a good bin and run it at 0.8W that would be about 1W from the battery. It will be good to see some photos and hands-on reviews.

Greg

I will be holding a beta test once they are finish, I will make a new post once this happens.

MJ

DallasA

Enlightened
joema said:
I did some simple calculations about 1x alkaline AAA Luxeon feasibility in this thread: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1127611&highlight=aaa+luxeon+alkaline#post1127611

Personally I think the design should emphsize NiMH and Lithium AAAs, with alkaline recommended for emergency use only. Maybe that's what Peak will do; we don't yet know. If you dial back the current to get decent run time from an alkaline AAA, output isn't much better than 5mm LEDs.

It's actually quite impressive to get a Luxeon 1x AAA to work at decent output and runtime, so I look forward to the Peak product.

( Smile ) I happy the end is near you do not know how many times I hit my head into the wall at full speed because of one thing or another with this porject. From Size to out put to run times to everything else under the sun. This project has taken more R&D then any other line and I must say I am tickled pink that we have over come all of to make what will be my offical EDC.

There is one thing about this unit that will not happen as normal and that is a Hi_ Power or Ultra-Power one unit and later several diffret finishes, and before you ask the reson is we have maxmized all the best resource, parts and ect. to get this done. However, I will be keeping my eyes open for anything that will improve it more.

MJ

DallasA

Enlightened
Well, I need to get back to hammering this project out and many more things so I hope this help for now and hopefully later in the week I will have more great news.

MJ

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
MJ,

First of all, thanks for keeping us updated on this project
kiss.gif

DallasA said:
So yes, rechargables and the Li-Ion will have the same effect as are other units.

I just want to confirm that it is okay to run [font=+1]3.7v[/font] Li-Ion in my Ultra power 3 LED Matterhorn ("our other lights"). That's a pretty big jump from 1.5v to 3.7v.

You've probably explained this before, but what exactly is "the same effect as our other units"

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
DallasA said:
I will be holding a beta test once they are finish, I will make a new post once this happens.

Can I withdraw from the tail-switch beta and get in on this one instead?
:naughty:

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
So this will accept Lithium-ion (3.7V) cells, as well as lithium primaries, NiMH, and alkalines? Did you manage to cram a boost/buck circuit in there? That's amazing. Even most flashaholics consider Li-ion AAAs to be exotic; the general public would probably have no idea what the heck they are. I almost bought one of andrewwynn's Nanos, but the driver is a LDO circuit and will only run on li-ion AAAs, so I passed. If you've got a boost/buck that can take the full 1.2V - 3.7V range from any type of AAA battery then you've built one heck of a flashlight!

I realize the teaser graph is incomplete, but what is being measured on the X axis? I assumed it was time, measured in 15 minute increments (12 PM, 12:15PM, etc.). And was the graph done with an alkaline battery? I assume NiMH or lithium primary would yield a flatter discharge curve...

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
JimH said:
MJ,
I just want to confirm that it is okay to run [font=+1]3.7v[/font] Li-Ion in my Ultra power 3 LED Matterhorn ("our other lights"). That's a pretty big jump from 1.5v to 3.7v.

You've probably explained this before, but what exactly is "the same effect as our other units"

A little off topic here, but where did you obtain your li-ion 10440 batteries, and what are you currently using them for? Isn't the capacity just a bit over 300mAH? I can't think of many applications (other than teeny tiny high-powered flashlights) where they would be useful.

And to head off any potential confusion: I'm not talking about lithium primary AAA batteries (i.e. Energizer e2 L92). Those are nominally 1.5V, NON-rechargeable (i.e. primary) batteries. I'm referring to lithium-ion, rechargeable (i.e. secondary), 3.7V batteries.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
DallasA said:

MJ

Thanks for all the answers Dallas. I still have a lot of questions but I'll leave them for later.

I'd be happy to Beta test it against my Andrew Wynn 1.2 watt nano-3. Hint. Hint. :) :)

Greg

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the updates and the chart looks good! :)

I have 13 lithium AAA batteries waiting to feed your latest creation. Christmas is coming and it is less expensive than the Kino Bay... my wife will be pleased.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hookd_On_Photons said:
where did you obtain your li-ion 10440 batteries, and what are you currently using them for? .

I forgot where I got the 10440's, probably AW.

They are great for a quick and easy upgrade to a Mag solitair. Just pull the original bulb and plug in a 35K mcd LED. Plop in a 10440, and you are good to go.

KenBar

Enlightened
Why did I have to find this thread.

I actually hit it accidently last week while "aiming at its neighbor, HDS. AAARRRRrrrrggggghhhh.

I just got through saying to my wife, and meaning it ..." if I get this HDS, I will never need any other flashlight.....I should have known better.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Thanks, Jim. I figured the 10440s were being used for yet another pocket rocket. :D

greg_in_canada: I'd be very interested in a comparison of the as-yet-unnamed-Ocean-series-AAA-Luxeon light against Andrew's Nano. It might be a case of apples vs oranges, as the Nano probably won't be able to compete in runtime due to the lower capacity of the 10440 (but should smoke the Ocean for brightness in high mode).

DallasA

Enlightened
greg_in_canada said:
I'd be happy to Beta test it against my Andrew Wynn 1.2 watt nano-3. Hint. Hint. :) :)

Greg

Got the Hint! I am waiting confirmation order and spread sheet for markings. If you can point me to the new thread on this I will follow it closer.

( Smile ) MJ

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
DallasA said:
Got the Hint! I am waiting confirmation order and spread sheet for markings. If you can point me to the new thread on this I will follow it closer.

( Smile ) MJ

The latest thread is https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/95061

Andrew is using the Peak brass prototype bodies (and a few aluminum ones) in his project. It uses a Li-ion cell and a low dropout regulator so it is very efficient at the high setting.

Greg

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
KenBar said:
I just got through saying to my wife, and meaning it ..." if I get this HDS, I will never need any other flashlight.....I should have known better.

The Ocean AAA is not a flashlight... not at all. Call it a stealthy AAA battery container to feed your beeper (or MP3 player or...) Another ploy is to buy two, one for her (safety etc) and the other a Christmas gift for "an old friend". ;)

When I first stumbled across Peak, all I needed was a Killamanjaro 5 red LED light... then a Matterhorn Snow 3 LED keychain light... then a 5 UV AA LED light... a 5 Snow LED AA light... then a new Snow29 keychain light... then a Mediterranean 2AA EDC light... then a Mediterranean CR123A bodied light so it would fit the loc-line magnet/clamp better... then the guys at work needed lights... then the Ocean AAA is coming out.

I think they need to put a Surgeon General's warning on these things...

DallasA

Enlightened
Hookd_On_Photons said:
So this will accept Lithium-ion (3.7V) cells, as well as lithium primaries, NiMH, and alkalines? Did you manage to cram a boost/buck circuit in there? That's amazing. Even most flashaholics consider Li-ion AAAs to be exotic; the general public would probably have no idea what the heck they are. I almost bought one of andrewwynn's Nanos, but the driver is a LDO circuit and will only run on li-ion AAAs, so I passed. If you've got a boost/buck that can take the full 1.2V - 3.7V range from any type of AAA battery then you've built one heck of a flashlight!

I realize the teaser graph is incomplete, but what is being measured on the X axis? I assumed it was time, measured in 15 minute increments (12 PM, 12:15PM, etc.). And was the graph done with an alkaline battery? I assume NiMH or lithium primary would yield a flatter discharge curve...

Now you know why it took us so long, I was determined to go through everything I could get my hands on to make this all work together, believe it or not my daughter gave me the idea on how to shrink the diameter it was larger when we started this.

All test are done on a alkaline. This one was done on an alkaline, Alkaline are cheep and normally used by most people, there for when it comes to a rechargeable or so on the discharge will have a better effect. If I get some time I have a couple lithium in my home workshop I will try to run a comparison graph.

MJ