It's a windup

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
Just got out of hospital after a haemorrhoidectomy (I like that old English Greek spelling, rather than the newfangled American style) which you may know is anticipated to be an enormous PITA, but thus far happily I haven't had to take any of the painkillers they sent me home with.

My wife (!) has taken to buying me torches. (Maybe it's got to do with the 3 pairs of different-patterned Wellington boots I got her.) They're generally not great torches, but then many of the ones I buy aren't that great either.

The other day she brought this home from a local bargain-basement store called Wilkinsons.

windup.jpg

It cost 3 pounds UK and is marked 'Made in China'. The crank folds away.

It reckons to run for 30 minutes on 120 turns, and surprised me by doing just that. The output is a bit blue and would benefit from modding with some LEDs out of DX Fauxtons, which I will do soon. The total amount of light when just wound is about as much as a fresh Fauxton, but the damn thing still puts out useful light an hour after being wound. You could certainly read a book by it.

All in all I'm impressed despite myself, it's 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' in your living room.

Seems like a kind of useful emergency tool if you need light in some kind of apocalyptic emergency, but it would be pretty unusual circumstances. On the other hand it's kind of cool that it works, and it cost very little...

w

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got some of those. I took one apart once. Pretty simple inside. I think the LEDs were accessible.

Excellent bang-for-the-buck for a cheapie light available in b&m stores.

The artifacts in the beam are creepy though. They're rather ghostly and are in your peripheral vision. I'm thinking of painting that part of the lens, maybe with glowpaint.

Dantor

Enlightened
I like my crank light, has been working great for over a year now. Sure it's bigger than my A's and one day it won't hold a charge anymore, it's still nice to know till then it's self sufficient and works good!