It's back on! Scout24 has added a challenger! 5MM LED AAA Light Challenge

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! I was waiting for someone to get this started. And I will say.....I never actually turn on any of my E01s.....but they all turn ME on.
Fenix never drop tested the E01 on the ground. They drop tested the ground on the E01.

The Arc AAA was an attempt to copy the E01.

The E01 doesn't have a boost circuit. The E01 actually powers 3V LED's directly with only 1.5V.

The E01 is not anodized. Aluminum changes color on its own when it is machined into an E01 body.

The moonlight mode on the E01 works even without a battery in the light. Most users don't know this because they never thought to try.

The E01 is not protected against water and dust ingress. Water and dust are protected against the E01.

The phrase "battery vampire" is meant literally with the E01. You can verify batteries are sucked dry with a postage scale.

The E01 can be shone on a solar cell that is in turn used to power the E01. This is the only known example of perpetual motion.

The only thing faster than the speed of light is light from the E01.

The E01 doesn't need to be bright, because the E01 can see in the dark.

Night isn't when the earth turns away from the sun. Night is when the sun turns away from the E01.

Only Chuck Norris can kill the E01.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I click the image, I go to a Yahoo page that asks me to sign in to my Yahoo account. I don't have a Yahoo account.

Maybe you can make the video more public?

Or maybe I shouldn't watch it, anyhow--the desire to watch an innocent light getting tortured is probably not a healthy desire.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops had it set to private, should work now.
When I click the image, I go to a Yahoo page that asks me to sign in to my Yahoo account. I don't have a Yahoo account.

Maybe you can make the video more public?

Or maybe I shouldn't watch it, anyhow--the desire to watch an innocent light getting tortured is probably not a healthy desire.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I had to bump this 😂

Fenix never drop tested the E01 on the ground. They drop tested the ground on the E01.

The Arc AAA was an attempt to copy the E01.

The E01 doesn't have a boost circuit. The E01 actually powers 3V LED's directly with only 1.5V.

The E01 is not anodized. Aluminum changes color on its own when it is machined into an E01 body.

The moonlight mode on the E01 works even without a battery in the light. Most users don't know this because they never thought to try.

The E01 is not protected against water and dust ingress. Water and dust are protected against the E01.

The phrase "battery vampire" is meant literally with the E01. You can verify batteries are sucked dry with a postage scale.

The E01 can be shone on a solar cell that is in turn used to power the E01. This is the only known example of perpetual motion.

The only thing faster than the speed of light is light from the E01.

The E01 doesn't need to be bright, because the E01 can see in the dark.

Night isn't when the earth turns away from the sun. Night is when the sun turns away from the E01.

Only Chuck Norris can kill the E01.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blf is putting together a Yuji 5mm run of lights. Still in the input stages.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe I'd forgotten about the list of E01 facts. I had a lot of fun thinking those up...I mean researching them.

Blf is putting together a Yuji 5mm run of lights. Still in the input stages.

And gurdygurds has already indicated he's interested in trying to break it. :twothumbs

Just to be clear for anybody else who see this thread, the light will be produced by Sofirn. It will be generally similar to the Fenix E01 (hopefully as durable), but of their own design with extensive input from BLF. We had originally hoped Fenix themselves would produce a batch of EO1's with the Yuji emitters, but we were still getting information about how such a project would be conducted when Sofirn stepped up take on the project.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
gurdygurds - Sofirn has drop tested their AAA twisty from a 3rd story window onto pavement, plus dunked it, and frozen it in a block of ice, all while turned on.

So far, it has survived. It appears it will be worthy of your efforts to test it once it reaches production.

There is video evidence of the tests elsewhere.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow looks good! I am more than willing to try to beat that Sofirn into submission but in reality I was just piggybacking in what Scout24 and others have started. It was their tests and posts along with folks like this is nascar that sparked my love for years E01. I think the last question on the sofirn will be the threads and how tight, sloppy, loose the turn action is. I'll give it the old mile drag behind the car and see if all the bouncing around jars the head loose and spins it off. Also looks like output is lower than the E01. Interested in runtime. Great project that the budget light folks got rolling. Good stuff!

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe I'd forgotten about the list of E01 facts. I had a lot of fun thinking those up...I mean researching them.

And gurdygurds has already indicated he's interested in trying to break it. :twothumbs

Just to be clear for anybody else who see this thread, the light will be produced by Sofirn. It will be generally similar to the Fenix E01 (hopefully as durable), but of their own design with extensive input from BLF. We had originally hoped Fenix themselves would produce a batch of EO1's with the Yuji emitters, but we were still getting information about how such a project would be conducted when Sofirn stepped up take on the project.

I just wear a Photon Freedom Covert modified with a Yuji 5mm. Still one of the smallest usable lights with one of the best UI's out there. This light is so under mentioned.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lot to what you're saying here Tixx. When I use my Photon Freedom I often wonder why I need to mess with all the other small lights. Definitely under mentioned and underrated. Here is my sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet baby.
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
I just wear a Photon Freedom Covert modified with a Yuji 5mm. Still one of the smallest usable lights with one of the best UI's out there. This light is so under mentioned.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My Freedom is always with me.
59f7443367d2ecde92541117d8bf68fb.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
For those concerned about the end of the E01, this is a fun thread to read about some other worthy 5mm contenders. I didn't check to see if these were all still available, but they might be options for gifters if we run out of E01 stock!