It's back on! Scout24 has added a challenger! 5MM LED AAA Light Challenge

nbp

Flashaholic
Re: We Have A Winner! 5MM LED AAA Light Challenge

No kidding! I'm quite surprised to say the least. Is this available at B&M stores? Might be a good one to buy a handful of and hand out to sheep in the next power outage.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

No kidding! I'm quite surprised to say the least. Is this available at B&M stores? Might be a good one to buy a handful of and hand out to sheep in the next power outage.

I've bought them at Wal-Mart for about three or four dollars.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wal Mart for $3 or $4 sounds great! Wally World, here I come. I bought this one from Battery Junction for $4.99 - Rayovac sells them on their own retail site for $3.99. @Toohotruk, it would probably make it through 24 hours in the tumbler, but it seems that it's proved itself for now....we'll see how it survives the '25 toss' test.

Well, it's early and I have to abandon this project long enough to work today...:eek:

BUT - little guy made it through the freezer test. In my mind, that's more about the battery anyway, right? 8 hours, 11 minutes in freezer....light stopped shining after around 15 minutes.

Took it out this morning while making coffee and hit 'lap' on the stopwatch..

46 seconds later the light came back on and is dutifully shining at a .22 lumen brightness level.

So it's been on approximately 24 hours (subtracting the 8 hours in the freezer from the 32h 31m the stopwatch is showing. Took the battery out long enough to measure .529V. My gut tells me that that battery isn't going to last much longer, but who knows? The light has already pulled the battery below the .6V threshold where some drivers cease to operate.

Upon returning home from work it goes in the 200 degree oven for an hour, then if it survives that it goes for the 25 tosses against brick/concrete.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Run4jc, I was looking at my little Rayovac AAAx1 like yours (but red) and was scratching my head at how to get to the guts of it. If yours has a failure, would you mind trying to get at the driver? From what we've seen so far, it looks like a good candidate for a mod host.

I'm also curious if the electrics are potted or not.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

@more_vampires.....it just won't die!

Yes, the test is 'over.' Light stayed while I was at work/school (I teach college) so I came home and baked it. No problem. Then began the 25 toss test. I suggest you mute your volume so you don't have to listen to this 57 year old goober flashaholic's commentary.

:eek:

Bottom line - the light would not 'die' from battery depletion so after 34 hours of other abuses I decided to wrap the test (if you can call it a test) up with the 25 tosses against brick dropping to concrete. The video shows all this. It almost made it all the way through then on about the 17th throw it stopped working. I went ahead and finished the 25 throws and went to get a new battery (assuming the battery was damaged.) In the time it took me to get the battery and settle in for my next video, the light started working again. And as I type this, it is beside me STILL working after 36 hours and 40 minutes of run time plus all of the abuse.

And here's how it looks after all the abuse is done.

With all due respect, please don't ask for more tests. The little light has proved itself. Some might argue that it's the new 'winner but I would still give it a tie for second. It's significantly larger than the Klarus or Fenix, but that size might be considered offset by the low price. So the Fenix remains my subjective favorite and winner, but I think the Rayovac ties with the Klarus for second place.

And if you want more tests, PLEASE conduct your own! Feel free to add them to this thread or start your own, but regardless, I'M FINISHED!!

;)

gunga

Flashaholic

WOW! Thanks for all the tests! I'm really surprised and impressed the ROV lasted throughout all this! Very cool!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great work! This is an awesome thread.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome job! Add me to the ranks of people surprised by the last light. :)

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've bought a few of these ROV and gave them away, I used one for a while but I did not know they were so durable, I think I need to get a new one now.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've bought a few of these ROV and gave them away, I used one for a while but I did not know they were so durable, I think I need to get a new one now.

To be honest, I didn't think the light would survive the tumbler, much less all the abuse. These would make fantastic gifts. I suppose that about the only test that one of these would not survive (that the E01 did survive) was the "under the wheels" test that scout24 performed on his E01.

:devil:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was tempted to get a Blendtec blender to see which flashlights would blend.

They beat me to it. Skip to :48 seconds.

I cannot tell what light that is, unfortunately. On the plus side, now we have at least a partial answer to the nagging question.

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like a good way to test the Titanium.

scout24

Flashaholic

Impressive results for a four dollar AAA light, Dan! A nice tough "Brick and Mortar" emergency vampire light to recommend if internet shopping isn't an option or price is a deal maker/breaker. I'm going to pick up a few as backup backups, and loaners. Definitely need to check these out. Thanks for your time and dedication!!! :) :thumbsup:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for your interest folks. Another update - got up this morning and was shocked to still see a wee bit of light coming out of the ROV. And I do mean a VERY SMALL amount - measured .04 lumen in my sphere.

Had to measure the battery - .325V

And it's still running. Who knows how low it will go!! (The E01 took a battery down to .297).

The light has been 'on' for 57 hours, but it shut off in the freezer for 8 hours so technically it's been emitting light for 49 hours!! IMHO, that is truly indicative of a battery vampire.

Is it still useful? Any of you who might own a light with a true low will agree that the answer is a resounding "yes." Here's some iPhone photos taken - believe me when I tell you that the exposure is almost identical to what I see.

Now I'm just going to run it until it dies and see what the battery has left in it. These things are cheap, reliable and rugged with a decent, more focused beam than the other 5mm candidates. BTW, the housing is aluminum and it comes in multiple colors. The body has a rubber grip around it.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

First they came out with those lights that looked like the old 70s versions, and then this little one. I'm not a huge fan of their batteries, but their lights I can get behind.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Finally over - just under 72 hours on the Duracell battery INCLUDING all of the 'torture'. Battery showing .252 when the light finally went out...

You can decide, but we may have to declare a 'new' winner in the 5mm challenge. Or at least a tie.

This little light is going into my car as a backup to my Malkoff MDC that always rides in the console (next to the Glock...) :)

Last edited: