Keychain light

mhooper

Newly Enlightened
Hello All!

I bought a Fenix E05 titanium for someone and it seems to have failed (battery drains even when the light isn't on). I also have an E05 that I'm happy with, but I'm now looking for a better quality AAA to replace the gift that stopped working.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

Online, to the UK

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

X Up to $100.

3) Format:

X I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

X MICRO - Keychain size.

5) Emitter/Light source:

X LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

X I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

X I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA sized cells common to most stores.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

-

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

X I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
I also want a light with a good lower level or levels (L-M-H ideally.)

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

All purpose

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

1-20 yards

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

High can be short and a good low or medium is important.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

X Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
I want a good quality light.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

X I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

2 or 3 light levels is good. No need for strobe, SOS, etc.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

X Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
X Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
X Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

Quality is important to me.

15) Water resistance

X IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
X IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions

On a keyring

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

keyring

mhooper

Newly Enlightened
What about the ThruNite TiS (stainless steel)

This looks ok. Is is better than the Fenix e99 (it was an E99 not an E05 (I have an e05) that I bought before, sorry for the confusion)? I really want something that's good quality.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The currently available TIP can work for those who do not need Lockout. The buttons are somewhat resistant to actuation without being difficult. Depending on your use and lifestyle, you may want to wait until the lockout problem is resolved. It is a promising flashlight.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
http://goinggear.com/flashlights/fl...ens-philips-luxeon-tx-led-keychain-light.html
Olight i3E-Cu EOS Copper 1x AAA 120 Lumens Philips LUXEON TX LED Keychain Light
Copper - AAA light, only one mode, nice looking - $20

http://goinggear.com/flashlights/fl...e-xp-l-180-lumen-led-keychain-flashlight.html
Olight i3S-CU EOS Limited Edition Polished Brass 1 x AAA CREE XP-L 180 Lumen LED Keychain Flashlight
Same basic light as above, but in brass, with 3 modes - $30

Very nice packaging on these lights too!

-

Last edited:

bouncer33441

Newly Enlightened
the tip does have a lockout feature by holding both buttons in at the same time it locks the light out

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
the tip does have a lockout feature by holding both buttons in at the same time it locks the light out
Read the actual TIP thread on here to catch up. In short, the electronic lockout uses more power than the actual lowest mode in some cases. Figure 3 days to drain a locked out TIP. Leave it unlocked and battery will last weeks.

Nitecore has confirmed that lockout is only for short term use but is rumored to be working on a redesign as there are lots of unhappy customers.

Great light... with that one flawed feature. Irrelevant for some, a deal breaker for others.

kronos

Newly Enlightened
I just got an olight i3s-cu and it is an impressive little light. 3 well thought out modes, high is impressive, and it's well built

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
"battery drains even when the light isn't on"
Clean it. It's a titanium light with no anodization. So if any gunk/lube etc, goes between the driver and head it will do that.

Last edited:

irongate

Enlightened
http://goinggear.com/flashlights/fl...ens-philips-luxeon-tx-led-keychain-light.html
Olight i3E-Cu EOS Copper 1x AAA 120 Lumens Philips LUXEON TX LED Keychain Light
Copper - AAA light, only one mode, nice looking - $20

http://goinggear.com/flashlights/fl...e-xp-l-180-lumen-led-keychain-flashlight.html
Olight i3S-CU EOS Limited Edition Polished Brass 1 x AAA CREE XP-L 180 Lumen LED Keychain Flashlight
Same basic light as above, but in brass, with 3 modes - $30

Very nice packaging on these lights too!

-

That copper one is a nice little light, so easy to carry in the pocket. 120 Lm. is just enough sometimes.