Kudos to Fenix on the L0D Q4 holiday special edition light

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
For anyone who is interested Walmart has red metalic fishing lure swivels. I found the split ring to be a pain to get onto the LOD, especially without scratching up the HA. These swiveling clasps are easier to snap on, then you can attach the split ring to the end of the swivel. The red matches the red red LOD-CE's pretty well, but won't match the orange-red/copper/light red, etc LOD's as well.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
Re: DOA!!!!

Ducati said:
Ducati said:
:thumbsdow I just received two L0D Q4s via USPS First-Class mail today. I'm very upset and disappointed that one of them does not work. I've tried different batteries and it doesn't turn on. I tried calling them but they're closed for the day. Now I have to go to the post office and ship this thing back to them and then hope that they'll send one back to me. Can they ship one immediately? I bought these lights as gifts and now I'm screwed...

I read somewhere on this forum that Fenix-Store has an active member on this forum. Who is this person?

BTW: these lights are not red (it's not even close) contrary to what the Fenix-Store website states and illustrates. Plus, the color isn't the same between the two that I received. What kind of company is this???
I received a very quick response tonight from Fenix-Store. They will express mail two flashlights tomorrow and hopefully I'll receive it Saturday or Monday. They will even try to pick the ones that are closer to red in color. I just have to send back the original lights upon receipt of the new ones. Hopefully everything will be okay.
Well, I received two new lights on Saturday morning. Very nice of Fenix to ship it express. (It cost them $16). I only needed one but they sent two. I sent back the bad one and the extra. I did notice that the beam was not consistent. One of them had a dead spot in the center and the beam color for two of the three was a bit purplish and uneven. Only one of them had a nice even yellowish/white tint. They're a little longer than the Arc AAA, I think. I can't find my Arc that i purchased in 2003. Did see it a few months ago. It's here somewhere. Anyways, the light is bright and the finish is good, although I did find that the one with the yellow/white tint to have some very fine lines in the HAIII finish.

sabre7

Enlightened
Sounds like you don't like much of anything about the L0DQ4. Maybe you would be happier if sent them all back and got something else entirely? Lots of great AAAs out there!

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
had the red holiday one, really liked it but hated red. bought the black L0D CE Q4 version on ebay. as noted, the medium and low lumens are slightly lower, but the high is still 75 (as compared to the holiday version). so the red one goes back. nice!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Seeing as how the P4 and Q4 versions use the same EXACT driver, a lot of people are buying black P4 models thinking they are Q4's. Be very careful of these ebay lights.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened

cv3po

Banned
fenix tactical starts shipping the black model in late january and it does have the lower low... http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-l0d-q4.html
is there any visible difference to the led between the P4 and Q4? Not in brightness but the led itself.

?? I thought they all (LOD's) used the same driver. The brightness increases are due to emitter efficiency right? How could the q4 in one light have the same high but lower med and low? Methinks it's a typo or just general confusion with a p4 or rebel (the med and low levels for the light linked to here are the same as a rebel lod). Weird Whatever the case I freaking LOVE my lod-q4 (red). I can't stop comparing it to my original cmg infinity, which is still a great light and gets alot of use! I would have paid Titan prices for this light 5-7 years ago

Last edited:

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
The L0D Q4 truly is a marvel of modern engineering. I don't even notice the holiday inscription since it is so small. I replaced my original Orb Raw with the L0D on my car keys, and I couldn't be happier!

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
I agree with Iliekshinnythings. The LOD Q4 quickly replaced my ARC AAA-P. It's bigtime bright for such a little dude ! Hard to imagine a brighter single cell AAA led could be developed that could be brighter than the Q4 -- and if a brighter one is developed, the runtime would likely be less than 1 hour on high mode !?!

Mine is a coppery-orange color. It has grown on me, compared to typically buying everything in "natural"...

Long Live Fenix leds !!!!!

Happy New Year y'all

Last edited:

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
good good! One thing I notice about the L0D is that it has a very useable beam for most applications...at least those that don't involve great distance'. The hot spot is pretty large, so throw is not as great as it would/could be, but it does its job greatly. I bought 3, one for me, one for my dad and one for somebody who has not yet been chosen. I am also considering having one shipped to my good friend who is in Iraq, hopefully they will ship straight from fenix-store to where he is stationed!

Luminescent

Enlightened
?? I thought they all (LOD's) used the same driver. The brightness increases are due to emitter efficiency right? How could the q4 in one light have the same high but lower med and low? Methinks it's a typo or just general confusion with a p4 or rebel (the med and low levels for the light linked to here are the same as a rebel lod). Weird Whatever the case I freaking LOVE my lod-q4 (red). I can't stop comparing it to my original cmg infinity, which is still a great light and gets alot of use! I would have paid Titan prices for this light 5-7 years ago

I don't want to cause anyone to feel bad about their purchase (especially so close to the holidays), but you are correct about the L0D driver having a fixed ratio between Medium, High, and Low, so something seems a bit fishy here.

The lower levels are set by the PWM ratio which is fixed in the lights MPU software. Folks have been bugging Fenix to update the L0D to a higher PWM frequency forever and they haven't, so the chance that they magically kicked out a special batch of lights with a different PWM ratio between medium, high, and low is essentially ZERO.

A more likely explanation by far is that the seller was LYING (this was EBAY right?). The way it works is like this; first someone who has read this thread sends a auction enquiry asking if the L0D lights the seller is offering are Q4's. Realizing that this is what folks want to hear, the light magically becomes a Q4. Some of the Hong Kong dealers are really bad about this. Maybe it's a language issue, but they seem to consider claims like "Q4" to be on the same order as U.S. companies do words like "stylish" (which essentially means nothing).

Then why would the light look about the same on the HIGH mode?

First, It's harder to judge brightness when the L0D is in the super bright high mode, and if he had been playing with the original Red Q4 light for a few days when the Black "Q4" arrived, the battery in the original Red Q4 light would most likely have run down a little and not have been able to sustain quite as much output in the high mode as the fresher cell in the newer light. This would explain why the lower modes were still noticeably brighter on the original Red L0D-Q4, and the seeming conflict with the modes not working the same between the two lights. Actually the modes ARE working the same, it's just that on the L0D, as the battery runs down, the difference between high and medium shrinks (low modes stay regulated, but high drops down a bit as the battery can't sustain the needed current).

So my guess it that this guys "black L0D-Q4" is actually a standard black L0D-CE P4 light, and it's just yet another case of an Ebay seller who figured that Q4 was the right 'magic word' he needed to make the sale, like all the 180 lumen lights on Ebay that only put out 60 to 80 lumens (if they work at all).

The bottom line here is that if you just really can't stand the idea of a RED or COPPER colored L0D Q4, then it's probably a good idea to wait until one of the more reputable dealers like the Fenix-Store have another version in stock.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great threat. It sales-talked me into purchasing two. I much prefer bright colored flashlights. It's hard to find a black one in the dark.

cv3po

Banned
The bottom line here is that if you just really can't stand the idea of a RED or COPPER colored L0D Q4, then it's probably a good idea to wait until one of the more reputable dealers like the Fenix-Store have another version in stock.

FYI, most of ya already know this but for those who don't...................Fenix-Store is selling black and olive Q4's now. If you've been waiting to buy one because of the red color then you're all out of excuses now :D

Bearcat

Enlightened
FYI, most of ya already know this but for those who don't...................Fenix-Store is selling black and olive Q4's now. If you've been waiting to buy one because of the red color then you're all out of excuses now :D

Yeah, but I want a natual colored one to go on my key-chain.:mecry:

mokim

Newly Enlightened
I received my black L0D Q4. And I have been using it for a couple off days. All I can say is WOW :twothumbs This is a incredible light. Iam very impressed.

I use it as an EDC and at work for aircraft inspection. In stead off those ridiculous 2 D cell mag lights supplied by the boss.

Iam thinking about ordering a L2D for the longer runtime and the extra lumens.
But the L0d works good for now with a spare battery.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
mokim, I love my L0D Q4 reddish, it is very handy. But for larger jobs I will grab my L2D Rebel 100. That way I save my L0D for other things, and my L2D has turbo mode when I really need to see details, plus the longer runtime. I think these two lights make a good set. Now if Fenix made a headlamp...