Layman's Opinion - Lumintop Tool Copper XPG2 AAA

scout24

Flashaholic
Vinh uses his own driver, a big copper heatsink, and several choices of emitter. Full custom, if you will. 10440 cell only, honkin' bright. There's a thread on them in his subforum in Custom Builders and Modders... :)

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you haven't seen it yet, check out the Tool torture video on YouTube. Search Bugout Channel and it's the first video. He abuses the snot out of thing. Super reliable light.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Oh, i'm definitely going to look for that torture test, LOL. I know it's a reliable light, I've had the regular black version for 1.5 years and loved it. I bet I'll enjoy the vid, thanks :D

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my 4.
ToolVN cu. l,m,h
ToolVN alm. high mode only
ReyLight cu. custom l,m,h
Tool cu. regular m,l,h

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im a big fan of the Rey Light Tool with N219, because it is High CRI and no PWM, I also like the Lumintop Tool with N219. I use a Reylight head on my Maratac CU

Here are some of the variations of the Tool

Low CRI 10440 only (even the N219c is low cri imo):
> ToolVN cu.
> ToolVN alm.

Low CRI not rated for 10440
> Tool cu. w XPG2

High CRI not rated for 10440:
> ReyLight cu. w N219
> Tool cu. w N219

Note the new Tools and Maratacs no longer use PWM. Here is one of the old Tools with PWM (before October 2015)
IMG_9898.JPG
IMG_9900.JPG

these two lights have PWM
IMG_9837.JPG

the Knurling on the PWM models looks like the one on the left:
IMG_0467.PNG

(I believe driverVn also uses PWM, but I have not done a waving test to confirm, maybe someone can share)

Another indicator of a NoPWM Tool is the ring around the LED, as in the N219 and XPG2 versions pictured
IMG_0431.JPG

Last edited:

N_N_R

Enlightened
Hm... well, I'll probably not get another Cu version whatever it is as it turns out copper has a distinctive metal smell I'm not particularly fond of. This being my first copper light, I never really thought of that before. Especially as I have to hold my light in my mouth quite often.
But since there's a Ti version coming, I may try that, depending on what price it sells for.

Oh, and |I watched the Torture Test video, it's awesome :crackup:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
… it turns out copper has a distinctive metal smell I'm not particularly fond of. … I have to hold my light in my mouth quite often.
But since there's a Ti version coming, I may try that...

fwiw, I felt the same about the smell, until I read about Copper being antibacterial. Google Olygodynamic
I now consider the smell to be germs dying. I also put my light in my mouth, and am now glad to know that the germs are being killed between uses..

I think a Ti version will be awesome, for a Tool, as the clicky bypasses the terribly gritty threads that Titanium produces.

N_N_R

Enlightened
I think I was told to "Google Olygodynamic" a few times already :D Well, germs dying or jumping for joy doesn't make the smell better, lol. I've used my flashlights in the same way for years and so far haven't died, so the anti-bacterial properties of copper might be useful for some, but they don't make any difference to me. Copper does look cool and I was super excited and still am to get this light/whatever copper light, but from now on I'll be careful knowing it comes with a certain... odour.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Yeah, how could I possibly say such a thing :huh::stupid: :D :D :D :D :D

The interesting part is, I can't lego mine hmmmmm

The coppery clicky part won't go down enough over the black tube.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for the Lego test, and especially the photo :)
I can only fully Lego lights within the NoPWM generation, with the ring around the LED. Your black tool is a PWM model, the Copper one is a NoPWM model. I had not tested a Lego of the Tailswitches, my Legos are headswaps from Tool to Maratac.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Hm.... interesting, thanks for the "summing up". Initially I thought it had to do with the thickness of the metal (which I really hadn't compared), but then the heads wouldn't have fitted either, however, they do.

Latest posts