LED Rechargeable Flashlight Recommendation

LED flashlight recommendation

• Total voters

pipspeak

Enlightened
I understand the OP's desire for a cradle-charged light... I am looking for one for my parents because I know they will just never get into the whole recharging batteries deal. Dare i say it, but most people out there do not think about flashlights until they need to use one right then and there, so having one charged and waiting in a cradle is the way to go.

My shortlist is the Strion LED (but only comes with a 120V charger in the US), the Inova T4 (120-240V) the Peli 8060 (120-240V) and maybe the Stinger LED (still uses an archaic NiCad battery... edit... I just saw the V3 version that uses NiMH). AFAIK these are about the only options that have a dedicated charging cradle (apart from Magcharger, but that thing is too big and old).

I'm also looking seriously at the iTP R01, which has no cradle but is charged by plugging in a USB charger (would have to buy a cheap wall-wart USB power supply). For the money it looks like a heck of a good light.

Last edited:

jaspreets

Newly Enlightened
I just saw the V3 version that uses NiMH). AFAIK these are about the only options that have a dedicated charging cradle (apart from Magcharger, but that thing is too big and old).

Any info, links to this V3 version you speak of?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight is still sticking with NiCd in the US, they're only rolling out NiMH in countries that do not have recycling facilities for NiCd.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
jaspreets, the 120V adapter is indeed 120V only. I will double-check with Streamlight about this and whether or not it's possible to order 240V adapters in the US, then get back to you.

jaspreets

Newly Enlightened
I'd go for the Fenix TK41 with eneloop AAs. Be sure to get them a decent charger too. The batteries won't last long otherwise.

Fenix lights are very reliable and have the most efficient electronics.

Any charger in particular?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Rechargeable Flashlight Recommendations

Hey guys... didn't know the world of flashlights was so complicated but have some questions for you guys.

I'm visiting my family in India after many years and every time they've asked me to bring a good quality, rechargeable flashlight (or torch as they put it).

We're farmers in India so the main use will be to go out at night to check the fields as well as during rainstorms (monsoons) to make sure the rice paddies haven't flooded, etc.

I've been looking at the Pelican 7060, Streamlight Stinger/Strion HP and would like to stay in that price range.

Requirements are:

1) Rugged (doesn't need to go 10m underwater, but if dropped in shallow water and / or exposed to monsoon type rain, should be able to come out unscathed)
2) Bright with a good "throw" (preferably 100-200 yards (or is that asking too much?)
3) Rechargeable, with decent battery life (looks like 2 hours at around 185 lumens is average)
4) Preferably LED (unless you guys recommend otherwise).

Thanks in advance!

Jaspreets,

Also keep in mind that this is CandlePowerForums. That means that with regards to an LED Rechargeable Flashlight it isn't an either/or proposition, but rather how many LED Rechargeable Flashlights do you buy. So, all things considered so far, you really ought to get at the minimum:

-Pelican 8060

-Pelican 7060

-Inova T4

-Streamlight Strion LED (possibly one HP and one non HP)

-Streamlight Stinger LED (possibly one HP and one non HP)

Then you can report back to us which works best. Plus, that way you have a backup to the backup!

jaspreets

Newly Enlightened
jaspreets, the 120V adapter is indeed 120V only. I will double-check with Streamlight about this and whether or not it's possible to order 240V adapters in the US, then get back to you.

I spoke with Greg (I believe) at Streamlight on Friday and he told me otherwise... if I were to purchase the Stinger HP, can you ask them if they would be willing to swap out the 120 VAC adapters for the 240s (I'd cover shipping of course)?

toshtip

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Pelican 7060 LED (or 8060) ... from a cop who has had great satisfaction using these lights for ~ 2 years now. One is mine & the other is the department's. BOTH are dead simple & reliable.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't recommend the Eneloop XX...extra capacity is probably not important as the 1500 cycle ones will last longer.

jaspreets

Newly Enlightened
Alright.. went with the Stinger DS HP LED... and amazing is all I have to say... the brightness, the throw, everything about the light... I'm glad I went with the Stinger... I'm sure there are brighter lights with more candela, more lumens, better chargers, better throw, etc... but for my purposes, this light is awesome.

greenskynz

Newly Enlightened
Just to add a couple of thoughts and challenge some of your opinions for the discussion sake.
It think it is a big cons to have to be able to 'hang' the light on the charger without removing the batteries (if not necessary). I looked at some of the manufacturer's pictures of the Fenix RC15 and really like the fact how conveniently it can be placed in your car. See this link http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=83&tid=12&cid=1#.UedS120bSCg

[/B] (Picture 8 - scrolling from left). It is a good feeling to have the flashlight handy. Plus if you go away for holidays, think how many set of batteries will you need to take with you? This flashlight can be charged during a day in your car without having to look for a power output.

...higher water resistance rating of other flashlights.. I agree but it really depends on your requirements. I dont see myself having to swim with my flashlight. There is in-depht review of the Fenix RC15 on youtube where you can the flashlight being submerged in water. In most every day situation this water resistance should suffice.
".....The problem with flashlights with built-in batteries is when the light runs out, you have to wait for them to recharge, instead of just switching batteries..." It depends how you look at it, for me finding batteries at home is always a hassle. With Fenix RC15 you dont need to pull out the batteries in order to charge them, but you could always do it if you were in a situation where you needed to . So you can always switch batteries. In fact this flashlight comes with two type of batteries so it is a big plus.
"....The cons outweigh the pros for me with lights that have their own battery pack...." Probably would agree if you are looking at Surefire R1 (retailing for ~ almost $400) but otherwise would disagree. I live in New Zealand when and having a dedicated rechargeable flashlight is a big advantage as part of a survival kit. Also being compact 160mm, bright (350 lumens on high and upto 860on the turbo mode), solidly built you could call a tactical flashlight. Any one has got any experience with this flashlight?

Last edited by a moderator:

Amafan

Newly Enlightened
I gave my Dad a Fenix LD20 and a 4 pack of Eneloops with the Sanyo charger. One set of batteries in use and one charging. Simple, easy.

sungjino

Newly Enlightened
i highly recomend rechargeable led light work: https://goo.gl/q7U6y4
great for outdoor camping ligth, household emergency, hiking,biking,fishing. pretty good quality and 8 working modes.
built in batery, with 200 hours in lowest brigthen.

Phil2015

Newly Enlightened
I got a nitecore tm26 last week,, shame its old and over priced, but its a cracking torch with a runtime of 46hr at 230 lumens (low setting). I paid way, way too much for it, like £300 with nitecore batteries, but I dont regret it one bit. it has lived up to my expectations, as I have always liked the look of these and wanted one for years. I just hope it will last me many many yrs.

Last edited: