Legacy light thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
JustRite did the first "aviator" I've seen for WW2 pilots. It was updated up to the Vietnam era.

Ironically they still do industrial products, but none have anything to do with flashlights. The other day I saw a box of "JustRite" caulk for use in joints on a bridge deck.

Perhaps the tv show was using reproduction lights from earlier eras but they sure looked like square head minimags like those Sigma Lites Don Keller did in the 90's. I say square head because minimag are a bell shape flair where the Sigma were right angle'd heads.

Whenever they showed folks with flashlights in Russia they looked like 1930's American stuff.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The one that has perhaps changed the game for current lighting technology in terms of tiny size and big output is the 1x AAA Maglite Solitaire. Like Don Kellers sprinkler pipe cop lights changed the game from thin wall tubing flashlights to capable of being used as a hammer, the 2 lumen Solitaire opened the door for todays current crop of tiny flashlights capable of big output. Not big like several zeros long big output, but like the ant, capable of amazing effort from such a small physical body.

Back in the latter half of the 1980's decade Tony Maglica's marvels were the undisputed king of the flashlight world. Companies like Streamlight, Bright Star and others were building their own versions of Maglite creations. As the story goes, Tony built a 1x AAA bi-pin bulb flashlight for his girlfriend and called it the Marquis. A couple of batches were produced and sold in California stores. Tony realized that name was already used elsewhere so he renamed it Solitaire. Capable of being attached to a keychain was not a brand new idea. But sprinkler pipe durability in a really small flashlight was. In time the idea caught on. Now being limited at the time to about 2 candle power was stepping back in time in terms of output. Yet those candles could be focused to a pencil beam and light up a small targeted area some 20 feet away.

Again, others built their own versions. Streamlight did the Keymate, BrightStar did a 1x AAA with a clicky and Don Keller was heading up a start up called SigmaLite where he took some Mag ideas and incorparated some Keller tweaks. But the Solitaire was tough to beat.

IMG-20190601-193520.jpg

Some incan Solitaire-esque lights.
A 2x N cell Sigmalite, a 1x AAA Bright Star, a 1x AAA Brinkmann, a Streamlight Keymate and a Solitaire.

With a wider head the Streamlight was actually brighter. But to avoid being sued again by Maglite they devised a funky way to change batteries which easily resulted in a broken flashlight.
IMG-20190604-113806.jpg

The KeyMate and it's flaws.
A small pin retained the bulb fastener to the light with a push and twist. The pin moved or fell out. If it moved it dislodged from the channel in the light body and the bulb retainer would get stuck in the head due to a tight fit of the bulb inside the reflector opening. If you dropped the tiny pin you were out. You either had to find it or make a new one. Yeah, right.
The tight fit of the bulb into the reflector at times resuluted in a crushed bulb.
And it did not have a removable tailcap so if your battery leaked onto the spring at the tail end getting conductivity through the spring again was an excersize in futility. At $12 it was far from disposable for most. A great light when things went well. But too many things could go wrong too easily.

So for a long time a single triple a flashlight was an aenemic source of light, yet enough sold to remain a viable product for the industry. Then the invention of the LED began to shape the future in ways not many dreamed of. Like older flashlight tech from the 20th century, bright was not available for a while. But thanks to some inovative thinkers the LED triple A was capable of lighting as well as the Solitaire or KeyMate, then the Keymate was gone and LED lights were way brighter than a Solitaire...yup 10!!! lumens. Then 15, then 20. The battery was the achiles heal back then. Alkaline cells just couldn't hold the voltage enough to provide consistant output for very long.

Perhaps the Energizer lithium saved the triple a flashlight from falling into oblivion with the hoola hoop. Designed for high drain stuff like toys, once they had begun to be seen as a viable source of flashlight fuel, the sky was the limit.

The SureFire 2x 123 lights had changed the game by then. PK once told me he was devising a 1x AAA for SureFire but battery tech made it a moot point. No way to make a SureFire bright capable light from a triple a fuel source. He said in time he was learning from his brother who worked at Motorola in Florida and ARC's Peter Gransee to learn the LED.

Peter was likely one who opened the door to what we see today. SureFire continued to focus on brighter light bulbs until they had their own LED ideas capable of SureFire reputation for output and tint. Maglite was quietly working on LED's while tweaking xenon bulb technology. Still strapped for cash Streamlight was generating revenue via police issue and fire personnel products.

Eventually the Solitaire was available in LED format. But by then the market had left Maglite. ARC, Peak and others were the new players.

The industry was showing the public that LED lights were here to stay. And LED clad 1x AAA flashlights were selling well enough to entice the market to partake in lights with brightness never considered possible in the days of the inception of the Maglite Marquis. 35, 50....60 lumens. Then the Fenix E01 touted sprinkler pipe bomb proof durability with plenty of useable light with long long runtime.

Lumen wars caused exagerated specs with brief bursts of whopping output. PK had left SureFire and for a blip in history had the brightest 1x AAA light ever made. 100 lumens, sustained. He called it PL2. The PL1? Who knows if it was his design from SureFire days or a PKDL idea that didn't make it off the computer screen?

Lumen wars touted unheard of numbers but the market wanted runtime and better tint. Neutral began to show up via Nichia LED's. Modes, modes and more modes meant outputs as low as the original Solitaire or less. Firefly mode became an option.

So now that the originator, Maglite is relegated to an also ran in the field of flashlights they have introduced a warm version of the Solitaire that mimics a xenon clad original with 10x the output. Thusfar it's high only but lately they have introduced 2 setting versions of some classics. Like PK's PL2 with a twist on for high or second for a useable, battery saving low time may reveal a 2 speed Solitaire. The venable E01 is discontinued and ARC is long gone. A new player Sofirm built some Yuji clad E01 style lights and now have 2 speed versions. They went with a mid-ground tint color for those.

So the legacy of the 1x AAA flashlight has evolved into a big player in a small package.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
:bow::bow::bow:Excellent post my sir! Has me thinking about how awesome a warm led two more Solitaire would. 2 lumen low as an homage to the original, and then full output. That would have my heart.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Fascinating thread here !

I'm now 65 years old,
and well remember, at age 4 and a half ( ! ) (truth)
realizing that 1xAAA flashlights are
Virtually USELESS ! ! !

THIS is what I had at the time !

BIG difference Nowadays !
:-D

vintage-bantamlite-popeye-flippo_1_6a7a7c322596a44ab7b1957d67014d94.jpg

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just for Kicks . . . . .

What was the mAH capacity
of a carbon-zinc AAA cell
in 1959 ? ? ?
( sixty years ago )

I see today's Energizer E92 alkaline AAA
at 100 mA current drain is about 900 mAH

Energizer L92 Ultimate Lithium AAA
at 100 mA current drain is about 1200 mAH

Today's Typical carbon-zinc (type R03)
(from Wikipedia)
is listed as 540 mAH (no current drain specified)

Wonder what it was, 60 years ago,
in the early days of my youth.
:-O

AND --

Wonder what is the current draw of a
#112 lens-end light bulb ?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I remember as a kid it took two batteries to get decent output (to see past the length of your arm). The side by side double a light was the first 'portable' I had. They were disposable. But a Solitaire changed all that as I recall.

azkid

Newly Enlightened
This thread—really fascinating by the way—got me remembering my first flashlight that I yearned and saved for... a Durabeam, 2D, krypton bulb, impact resistant and weatherproof (I think... It's been what 30 years?).

Generic photo reproduced for educational purposes:

7cd5dd1771694e475ff9abac1fd16f00.jpg

I also had a milsurp light, not right angle though, and when younger I remember being fascinated by an all-metal Eveready sportsman (I think).

Lastly, my daughter and I have been listening to a a couple of Jules Verne books which make mention of a portable, electric, Ruhmkorff lamp so named by Verne after the person, first name of Heinrich, who commercialized an induction coil, patenting it in 1851.

_%22Ruhmkorff_lamp%22%2C_a_miners%27_electric_lamp.jpg

The lamp used this coil to created an arc to fluoresce a Geissler tube. The light system was actually developed by Alphonse Dumas, an engineer at a mine, for use in mining. It was the first portable, electric, fluorescent lantern.

Here's a video of a replica in operation:

https://vimeo.com/21551806

The above puts _Journey to the Center of the Earth_ in a whole new light...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Holy Crap Batman!!! Awesome post.

Roar of the Pelican, 1851 style. Really cool.

In case not familiar, the RoP was a 2 cell Maglite with a really, really, really overdriven 6 volt bulb from a rechargeable Pelican Big D firemans flashlight (or perhaps Big Ed?). In the right hands they could be made to put out as much as a thousand lumens. Roar of the Pelican was the nickname of said contraption.

IMG_20190605_103223.jpg

Highly modified inner workings.

IMG-20190605-103247.jpg

Special plastic compound space filling sleeve keeps batteries in a straight line. High output batteries really make the RoP shine. High current flow tail cap mod and on/off switch keep resistance low allowing maximum current flow.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for Kicks . . . . .

in 1959 ? ? ?
( sixty years ago )

(from Wikipedia)

AND --

Standard (non heavy duty) carbon zinc batteries sucked bad - I don't think the solitaire would have been successful without alkalines.

Phil2015

Newly Enlightened
Hi, When I was a kid back in the 80s and 90s we always bought these huge heavy torches, they ran off 2 6v batteries if I remember rightly.

fwkKLuP.jpg

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before there were Photons and even before there were Solitaires, I used have one of these on my keys:

M2Y2JAV.jpg

....the Eveready Squeeze light! Not bad for what it was at the time. The batteries were built in and light was disposable, when they went dead you could get a new one for cheap at the super market checkout or at a drug store.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I probably had one of those at one point, paid for with soda pop bottle money.

NitIze has a little 4 lumen number that has more of a physical button and runs off replaceable coin cells. I think it was $4 at the big orange store.
399-A2-DCD-5-A16-4-E9-E-A779-1-DDC220-AD989.png

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
my ge datasheet from the 50's shows 112 at 1.2v 220ma.
no specs for a carbon zinc aaa but even with the improvements over the years they are lousy at any real load.
the way these little keychain lights worked is they were momentary only.
with long periods of rest between uses.
lock one down and runtime is a few minutes till it rests.
flashlight true to the definition.
Just for Kicks . . . . .

in 1959 ? ? ?
( sixty years ago )

(from Wikipedia)

AND --

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Holiday bump. It's that time of year when a lot of people exchange gifts. Sometimes it's a flashlight. Not long ago I sent a flashlight to a friend on the opposite coast and when it arrived we struck up a conversation about flashlights among other things. He mentioned a Legacy light that had given him awesome service for a long time years ago.

The Streamlight Stinger. What a marvelous invention that one was. Now it was pretty much the perverbial 'better mousetrap' in that it used ideas already invented like a rechargeable battery, a cradle and a C cell sized flashlight but in a combination that turned out to be a huge seller. In the days of the Mighty Mag and Streamlights big ole SL20 it must have been a huge relief to patrol officers and mechanics to have the benefit of putting a down sized big light into a charger cradle between uses. And with that simple striped rubber sleeve over the body it would not be slippery when wet.

From what I understand if dropped it still worked so that too must have been seen as a huge change for the good. Small enough to keep on the belt while riding in the car but large enough to tuck under the arm pit while moving forward with weapon deployed so no interuption in lighting down range.

To be honest I do not know when the Stinger was first adopted by police, nor do I know much about the evolution of the mighty Stinger. Member Dano indicated in an old thread here that it came out in '95. At some point there was a Stinger X, XT, an intrinsically safe poly Stinger, and of course now-days a slew of LED models. I remember seeing a Stinger on the belt of state police officers long ago at my work where they'd often help us guide motorists through work zones. But I'd also see them in auto repair shops.

One year during the summer, early in my flashlight hobby days I saw a Stinger LED kit in a store and commented to Mrs Fixer what a great flashlight that one was but so dang expensive. That year she hooked me up with it at Christmas. The 350 lumen model with an anti-roll device on the head sits idle most of the time due to much smaller flashlights yet it always puts a smile on my face whenever it gets the call of duty.

In 2020 Streamlight built a straight body version called Stinger 2020 aimed at auto repair shops or use as a work light. No sloping head like prior models. But has an anti-roll feature. Meanwhile incan Stingers can still be found, although Streamlight has stopped producing them. Heck even ole Tony finally got around to building a Maglite product to rival the mighty Stinger in about 2019.

If there were ever a flashlight hall of fame the Streamlight Stinger would certainly be inducted.

C4F0DFE6-B8C8-42F2-BC65-D9CD70F79128.jpeg

A Stinger next to the mighty SL20.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I set out to praise the Stinger it was in hopes of sharing lots of information regarding the incan models. Idea being search the CPF library and other sources of potential information. Not surprisingly the vast majority of threads here were about making it brighter or swapping to an LED. There were comparisons with a SureFire 9x(?) and a Tigerlite, which I'd never heard of yet was apparently popular in the early 2000's.

It seems as though the Tigerlite had a dedicated following, yet like the rock band KISS people either loved them or loathed them. And it seems the SureFire was a hit except for the battery. So somewhere in the center were Stinger fans. Many of which were police officers glad to have a light that wasn't so big like the SL20 or the MagCharger.

Now when venturing out on the ocean called the world wide web I was carpet bombed with ads trying to sell me a new LED stinger or parts for my old one. I was hoping to find old information at cop sites or the like using 3 search engines but gave up after a couple of days.

It led me to conclude that the Streamlight Stinger was once like a butter knife. Millions sold but not many people expressing their views on them

Incandescent

Newly Enlightened
On the topic of Stingers, I recently came across one at a thrift store which had absolutely no knurling on the barrel, and the anodization was still almost completely intact and it was in great shape overall, so it wasn't like it was just worn down to the point of not having knurling left. It was just a regular old Stinger, but with a smooth barrel. It didn't have a charger with it so I regrettably didn't buy it. I tried to find an answer about if/when they were produced with no knurling, but came up empty. Considering how popular the light is, I was also surprised by the lack of information and discussion about them out there. I still have no idea if they actually produced it with no knurling at some point, or if I stumbled upon a prototype. I could not find a single bit of evidence or picture of a Stinger without knurling on the internet.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Perhaps it was one with the rubber sleeve gone. Don't know when they started putting the sleeve on them but my LED model has one.
Yet in the photo below (from an old thread here) shows that #393 was indeed knurled.

Incandescent

Newly Enlightened
The Stinger XT has the rubber grip, so that's possible, although I could swear it was a regular Stinger and didn't have a thinner section where the rubber grip would have been. I really regret not buying it because now I'll just feel like I'm crazy for the rest of my life, haha.