Light for police duty use

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I would, without hesitation, recommend the Surefire P1R Peacekeeper. Please read my reasons because I care about your life and service and want you to make a good decision on a flashlight that could protect your life!

First off I want to begin by giving you reasons to trust me. I have only been into flashlights for about a year and a half so it's not as long as many people on here; however, after buying my first high end flashlight I became so intrigued and passionate about learning every aspect. I became a reviewer for 10 different manufacturers and still growing, so I have used a lot of different manufacturer's lights. About 6 months ago I would have absolutely recommended one of the Fenix or Nitecore flashlights. But now I definitely wouldn't and here's why:

You're going into Law Enforcement which means that most times you need to use your light will be in a potentially dangerous situation or one where you will not want to be focusing on your flashlight, but on the scenario. Every second you spend focusing on getting your flashlight into the right setting is a second where your life is at risk because you aren't focusing on the situation. Yes, it is very awesome to have 5 brightness modes and 3 strobe modes plus different color settings and yah duh yah duh yah duh. But when it comes down to it and you have to pull your light to defend against a suspect that is charging you, it would really suck to realize you left your light in the 1 lumen mode.

2nd off is that more modes = more complexity. More complexity = more room for error, both on the electronic side and the user side. The Surefire Peacekeeper has only 2 modes. 600 blinding lumens is the first mode. When the light is turned off and then reactivated again within 1 second, it goes to a usable 15 lumens. The 600 Surefire lumens (Closer to 750 real lumens) is very much bright enough to disorient an attacker or suspect, or to just see 200+ meters away. The 15 lumens gives you a runtime of almost 2 full days (46 hours) and it perfect for close up tasks. Also the fact that the light will always turn on high means that you never have to worry about turning on the wrong mode in a high-stress scenario.

3rd is that it uses an 18650, which you mentioned above.

4th is it is USA made by a very reputable manufacturer. Surefire really stands behind their products. LIFETIME guarantee. First off, their flashlights are built like tanks, but in the rare event that something does happen to it, like if you accidentally strap it to the side of a nuke that detonates and the glass lens cracks a little, they will replace it. I have experienced their amazing customer service and it has been nothing less than outstanding.

5, I trust SF with my life. If I would trust my life and my girlfriend's dad's life (He is a LEO) to a Surefire, I would definitely recommend it to you. It's more expensive than a fenix or nitecore BUT it is something that will last you for life.

Edit:
I was very much hesitant about buying my first Surefire. My logic was that my Nitecore felt very durable, had more modes, and was so much cheaper. Once I finally bought my first Surefire, I was sold. I don't expect you to take just my word on it, it's something you have to experience. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed though. I would buy it new on eBay though, you can get it about $100 cheaper!

Last edited:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
To me, something from Thrunite seems an easy choice. I use one of their XP-l single 18650 lights as a welder for 3 years counting. Its taken a beating and never lost its pep.

The TN12 2016 can be picked from amazon prime for 49. Although I didn't have the exact model (TN12 2016) I do know that their claimed lumens also match the real output within 10%. I've owned around 10 Thrunite lights and personally recommend them over Nitecore etc when it comes to a single 18650 light at the right price that gets the job done. It's mainstream company light that can hold it's spot until you may find possibly something more extreme in terms of ruggedness.

LJUSMC

Newly Enlightened
Something from the streamlight stinger line or an XL20. I've been a cop 12 years, and I love flashlights as much as the next guy, but for that job I recommend something that is:

1) easy to use with 2 functions; ON and OFF.
2) easy to buy a holster for because if it's not on your belt you may as well not have it at all
3) easily replaceable when you lose it, so you can get the same light to use with the same holster so you don't have to retrain your brain.
4) rechargeable... batteries are expensive and you will go through a lot.

If you want a cool secondary light that's on you. I carry a Malkoff MDC in my back pocket in case my Streamlight stinger goes down... but it's still just a single mode "on/off" version. You don't need strobes and all that other nonsense.

Good luck. Get back with me in a year and tell me if you regret your new career... LOL

Jlui

Newly Enlightened
To the OP....

im looking for a new light as well, I just completed a shooting course and one of the days was a night shoot. Let me tell you, you want ease of use. No need for strobe, or 5 modes. A simple momentary, and constant on/off at high mode. And maybe a twist of a tail cap or head to get a lower mode(for writing tickets, vehicle searches.. etc) for time you don't need the high mode.

ive researched and researched.,, looks like Elzetta and malkoff flashlights fit our roles. Yes they are a lot of expensive than the Felix or nitecore or thrunite..... but after doing the night shoot. These companies with 5 modes and strobes are NOT for duty use.

im looking to purchase a Malkoff in the next day or to. Still researching on which configuration(2 or 3 cells)

good luck and be safe

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I do wish they had is a protruding tail cap with true momentary on. Then twist the tail cap for constant on.

Hopefully this helps. Stay safe.

You can use a surfire tailcap same as on the 6p (z41). I put one on with a mcklicky in it- I gave up tail standing but got a protruding tailcap.

grunt soldier

Newly Enlightened
Edited to add I am no expert and most the folks on here do know a lot more about lights than me.

However I was in your situation a few months ago. (Well I started in april but just went to night shift 2 months ago) encountered a couple situations that lett me very unhappy with my duty light. I came here and started researching as much as I could. My duty belt doesn't have a lot of room and I have been carrying a pocket light for years so I wanted to keep it there for muscle memory. I really wanted the option to run cr123 if needed also because my dept keeps hundreds on hand in the evidence room. So if something were to happen to my 18650 I could quickly drop them in and still have a usuable light.

I'm also one of those guys who has bad luck and is very rough on my gear so I needed it to be bullet proof. I found 4 lights that really intrigued me.

First was the oveready boss. Its insane bright and tough as nails but very expensive and hard to get a hold of righy now. As long as you stay off high you can run cr123s in a pinch. The gentlemen who run this shop are super helpful and full of knowledge. Lights are amazing and can be tailored to any set up you want basically. and you can do it yourself through the computer or your phone. It's light weight yet very rugged and very pocketable. I love the triad tailcap that it comes with, has a nice deep carry pocket clip. Plus they run a secondary red or amber led so if your doing something where you need to keep your night vision you can run these and your good to go. Great light.

Second I bought and love a malkoff m61hot. Takes one 18650 but again in a pinch can drop in 2 cr123s. It's 500 plus lumens. Crazy bright with awesome throw and usable spill. It's a simple interface. Always on in high but I got the high/low switch so you twist the head and can use 15 lumens for all your normal stuff. I love this light. Electronics are fully potted so it's able to take serious abuse. The owner is a nice of guy as you could meet. He or his wife answer the phone when you call. That's top notch. You need a univeral pocket clip that they sell to run this in your pocket but it's only like 6 bucks. This is my main gripe about this light as it sits more in the middle of the light so sticks out of the pocket some. which ends up getting accidentally turned on by taser or baton etc when getting in and out of the vehicle (not always because it has a rim around it that helps keep it from this but not always) However I recently learned that pretty much any surefire 6p pocket clip or tail cap will work which is awesome. (ALSO THEY OFFER A LEO DISCOUNT if you call he will give you the code to use)

Next was HDS specifically the tactical 325. Again fully potted. And simple turn on or off and always comes on in high unless you twist the tailcap. Downside is its also quite expensive but I think a few more days of off duty work and I'll probably own one lol. I can't say to much about this light as I don't personally own it but it has been highly recommended to me by several folks here and a few of the guys I work with.

Then there is Elzetta lights. They are also bullet proof. Fully potted and just plain nice lights. They have a separate pocket clip which I haven't got to use but it seems alright from the images and reviews I have seen. I have only run these on my ar's so far but with the new bones light that has been released I may end up trying it out. Looks like a damn solid light.

Prior to this endeavor I always carried and fenix, surefire, and other lights. They all worked fine but I did break several fenix lights and their warranty work is a pain in the butt from what I experienced.

Surefire lights are still very solid and good lights. customer service is great with them also. I still have several 6p's that I'm now running Malkoff drop in's on. During my search I almost ended up with the e1d defender. 300 lumens, nice bezel and pocket clip also. and can be had for a very reasonable price. I wouldn't hesitate to run one i just think the above options are better from my research.

Sorry for the long reply lol just figured being in almost the same situation as you I would share and possibly save you some time and wasted monies.

Last edited:

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to add that even the 3 mode Malkoff CR123 MDC becomes a SHO version with the use of a 16340, protected or unprotected. I don't know if that matters to anyone, but if you needed to have it as a single high output you just put the 16340 cell in and only functions on high.

brightex

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I haven't been up to date with the new and best lights out for quite a while and I'm starting a career as a police officer next week. I need a light for my duty belt and the light they provided me with doesn't meet what I'm looking for. If you guys could help me with some suggestions I would appreciate it.

With that said, I'd probably prefer a single 18650 light as I have a bunch of those batteries laying around. I was looking at the Klarus XT11GT or XT12GT, Nitecore TM03, Fenix TK20R and others. I would love any other suggestions, pros and cons of the different suggestions, especially from any other LEOs. Thanks in advance.

I would look for a flashlight that has the following

1. A Real high lumens flashlight – This is for obvious reasons but you need to make sure that your really getting the lumens output you are paying for, which is often not the case.
  2. A high capacity lithium battery preferably a 26650 protected battery (the 18650 battery gives you half or even less the run time than the 26650 battery) – Enables you to use the flashlight for many hours without recharging or replacing the battery
  3. Multiple light modes including strobe.
  4. Water resistant – Don't just look at what is stated by the manufacturer verify that you have at the minimum O ring protection for both the LED and the battery compartment (many flashlight unfortunately are sold without protection to the LED itself)
  5. Zoom – This is important since it gives you the ability to widen or narrow the beam according to your needs
  6. Small and lightweight – You want a flashlight that you can handle easily with our hand and that will not be a burden to carry around.
  7. Belt clip/Holster – This will enable you to have the flashlight handy for any situation
Here is some important information about REAL lumens output and the importance of a powerful lithium battery.

Real Lumens Output
Unfortunately in many cases the lumens claims by flashlight manufacturers are far from accurate. We have even tested 5 popular "high lumens" flashlights at Underwriters Laboratories (UL) and the average lumens of the XML T6 type led flashlights (when tested with a fully charged 18650 battery) was only 335 lumens far from the promised 1000+ lumens. But the good news is that there are flashlights meeting the above criteria's that can give you even Real UL Labs Tested 700lm.

Click here for the Full test results and additional detailed information

You should also be aware that according to CREE web site (see below table) an XML T6 LED with 1000mA current (which is the common current among flashlights) will give you a maximum of 388 lumens and even at 2000mA (which is far above the standard current) the maximum lumens output is only 692 lumens.

So if you want a truly high lumens flashlight, make sure that any lumens claim is backed up by a reputable independent test lab.

Recommended Battery
For all uses but particularly for power outages you need a high capacity battery that will give you sufficient light for many hours. For this reason we recommend that you purchase a flashlight which has works also with the high capacity 26650 battery.
Make sure your battery is a protected battery, so you won't damage it if you accidentally reverse charge it.
As is the case with lumens also the capacity of the batteries is in many cases exaggerated by the manufacturers, so make sure to verify that the capacity of the battery has been tested, such as we have done on our 26650 battery. The rated capacity is 4800mAh and the tested capacity is as can been seen is 4864mAh.

Good Luck

Last edited:

cyclonecj

Newly Enlightened
How about a First Light Tomahawk LE? A very interesting design to be used
with a handgun.

cyclonecj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks bykfixer! The tomahawk is a versatile little light! Happy to own as part of the collection.
Amen to your signature!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen some LEO's using Klarus XT11's in the past, don't they use those anymore?

Kudos to the Malkoff and Ezletta but these may not be in everybody's "price range" Solid lights though! :)

eamonn

Newly Enlightened
I've seen some LEO's using Klarus XT11's in the past, don't they use those anymore?

Kudos to the Malkoff and Ezletta but these may not be in everybody's "price range" Solid lights though! :)

I have a Klarus XT11, and the mode switch stopped functioning after a year of careful use. I emailed Klarus, and they wanted me to send the light to them, to send to China. I asked to just purchase a tailcap, because I needed the light for work. They refused. Entire light back to China, or nothing. I took nothing, and won't buy from them again.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I could use a Chinese light of any type of LE work. Having a Malkoff, Surefire, Elzetta, HDS, Oveready, Streamlight or something else of that quality is almost required in my mind.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Might not be what someone wants to spend, but better a quality light you can count on when you need it to work than not.

Not everybody wants to drop that kind of cash, but then again, not everybody risks their life when essential equipment fails to function.

As a fringe benefit, with the Malkoffs and Elzetta Bravo and Charlie lines, you can replace individual parts, rather than dumping the whole unit.

Standard disclaimers: YMMV, and everything has the potential to fail. Per Murphy, usually at the worst time possible. That said, I prefer to hedge my bets.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I bought a Fenix TK09 for my LEO cousin. His Chief was so impressed with that light that he now specifies it as one of his department's preferred tools.
Met a few cops in the last few years with a TK or PD series light.

Capolini

Banned
The police forces around here use Streamlight. The factory is in Eagleville, Pa. which is 7 miles from me.

It is a decent light I guess. One big advantage then an Officer told me was that they can go to the factory and get the light fixed right away or get a replacement if need be if it can not be fixed right away.

I am used to modded lights which I have shown several police forces! They are amazed by them. I guess I am spoiled because very few stock lights impress me anymore!

Latest posts