Light for ultralight backpacking

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you mind explaining this statement a bit more? I can't seem to grasp what mode spacing is. I am looking at the post he made about the D25s but can't find any place that it says mode spacing.

So I guess TEEJ and Tmack have explained it well enough ;), but to be more specific on the 3V+ D25s, an example of D25C XML's mode spacing from Selfbuilt's estimates shows the "moonlight off" program to be 9/130/280 lms and "moonlight on" program to be 0.2/115/280. While camping in the pitch black, to conserve night vision and batteries, I would prefer to be alternating between 0.2 and 9 lms (when moonlight is not enough), but this requires constant re-programming.

The D25As are much better (more closely spaced at the low end) though - I measure my XML to be about 3/20/75 (ML off) or 0.3/8/75 (ML on), but as I mentioned above, I like alternating between 0.3/3 the most. 8 lms is no burden of course, but it'll get ~half the runtime of 3 lumens, and find I never need more than 3 at the campsite.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, another option (to make this even more confusing) is to get an infinitely variable light so you can dial into just the right amount light. Sunwayman, Jetbeam, Niteye and Nitecore all make magnetic ring lights and all sell extension tubes to run either CR123s or AAs. The down side is that magnetic rings all consume power, often more the LED at sub- and low-lumens, and they add size/weight, complexity (less reliable) and cost. Peak makes infinitely variable QTC lights (the Logan can also run AAs & CR123s) and these are very efficient, and stone reliable (can be used as tent stake hammer) but are pretty heavy, and a bit finicky to dial in (the QTC material is essentially a metallic sponge, so it keeps creeping/expanding as it settles inching brighter over a few minutes).

There's no perfect light, pick your poison :).

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, another option (to make this even more confusing) is to get an infinitely variable light so you can dial into just the right amount light. Sunwayman, Jetbeam, Niteye and Nitecore all make magnetic ring lights and all sell extension tubes to run either CR123s or AAs. The down side is that magnetic rings all consume power, often more the LED at sub- and low-lumens, and they add size/weight, complexity (less reliable) and cost. Peak makes infinitely variable QTC lights (the Logan can also run AAs & CR123s) and these are very efficient, and stone reliable (can be used as tent stake hammer) but are pretty heavy, and a bit finicky to dial in (the QTC material is essentially a metallic sponge, so it keeps creeping/expanding as it settles inching brighter over a few minutes).

There's no perfect light, pick your poison :).

I have a few ring lights - including one that goes from you can look into the lens at night and barely tell its on, all the way up to 900 lumens, which is great for that type of wide range of lighting. As the ring is the "on/off", it always starts on "low" as in dim dim moonlight, and, as you rotate the ring, it ramps up smoothly.

What I like for a tent light/night light though is tritium vials. You have moonlight level light for ~ 30 YEARS w/o needing a single battery, and, the UI is very quick to learn...no programming needed.

:D

newdeathscope

Newly Enlightened
What I like for a tent light/night light though is tritium vials. You have moonlight level light for ~ 30 YEARS w/o needing a single battery, and, the UI is very quick to learn...no programming needed.

:D
Where did you get these? How fragile are they?

Naam Penn

Newly Enlightened
Generally speaking headlamps are the best light for backpacking, reading in a tent, evening camp tasks, or midnight tent repairs and other two-handed jobs; but I prefer a light that multi-tasks. If you want lighter weight and more versatile light than most headlamps, I suggest a AAA light with a clip. Anything smaller than AAA lacks versatility, battery cost increase, and battery availability decreases. I have tried a variety and currently like the following.

1. A AAA multi-mode. One of my newer acquisitions is a AAA flashlight, L3 Illumination L08 with a Nichia 219 LED. There is a great review of this light by selfbuilt on this forum. The Nichia 219 version has a great neutral white color with a 92 CRI. I bought the 4 mode version that allow a wide variety of light uses. It has a clip to allow an improvised headlamp (hat bill or headband). It is also a great EDC keychain light so it doesn't just wait to be taken back packing. It is my most frequently used light. There are other great lights in this category but I liked the Nichia 219 that provides a nice neutral white.

With the same theme of versatility but the next size up is a headlamp that detaches and becomes a flashlight.

2. I recently upgraded my headlamp with another better headlamp but wish now that I had purchased one of the Zebralight headlamps because the detatch, are more versatile, and are battery efficient. They are available in neutral white which is generally better for outdoor color and definition. Ultralight would be a AA version. They are available in spot and flood versions. If you are on long trips the long run times of the 18650 battery version could be better than hauling extra batteries. The Zebralights make a good consideration because they generally have good run times which effects whether you are hauling extra batteries. The AA option is more versatile if you have other AA powered devices.

Hope this contributes something.

Naam Penn

Newly Enlightened
Update to my post. The L3 Illumination L08 died an untimely death. Have not had problems wi h Fenix lights other than loosing them or giving them away. I love the versatility of my Zebralight AA headlamp for many purposes & is my most versatile light.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

jimboutilier

Enlightened
I would highly recommend the Zebralight H502 L2 Flood Headlamp Cool White. It weighs 1.8 ounces with removable pocket clip and Energizer Ultimate Lithium L91 AA cell. Add the included headband and you have a weight of 2.6 ounces. It has 10 brightness levels from claimed 0.01 lumen to 278 lumen and claimed battery life of 3 months to 0.9 hours. Each L91 weighs about 0.5 ounces if you want to carry spares - they have longer battery life and are lighter than alakaline or rechargables. Because it's beam is 90 degrees from the body is easily used on a headband or clipped to a pocket or belt. It's not easy to access all 10 levels, you have three levels and and alternate for each of the three that are quick and easy access and can program the alternate from 2-3 options on each level.

I do lightweight backpacking and find this a great option. I have numerous options from EagleTac, Foursevens, Jetbeam, Niteye etc but keep coming back to the Zebralight because of its effeciency, weight, flexability, and user interface. I've tried most of the lights enumerated here and most are excellent options worth considering (I use many of them in my EDC rotation), but for backpacking I prefer the ZH5 series.

Good luck in your hunt.

nxtreme

Newly Enlightened
You've gotten a ton of expert advice by people far more qualified than myself already, and this thread is a little outdated, but I'll throw in my two cents. :)

I've used the FourSevens Mini-ML for a year and a half of backpacking, mostly on the Montana/Idaho state line. I've used it during the fall and winter, and have been extremely pleased. When I was first looking for a lightweight backpacking/snowshoeing light (though I'm not an ultra-light guy, I prefer to keep my electronics on the trail to a light-weight minimum) I was looking at AA lights. However, I made the change to CR123s after seeing the outputs and runtimes I could get on a single CR123 were similar to 2xAA, but with the advantage of being much lighter. I've been using the light with a Fenix headband (as recommended by 'weez82' in post #14, and have found that combination to be a perfect balance (for my needs) of weight, outputs, and runtimes. A very good review on that exact setup can be found on YouTube here [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGl3XDeR-Ig].

I have found that the low setting (~3 lumen) is perfect for setting up a tarp shelter, cooking, slower hiking at night, and it offers an amazing runtime of about a week. Medium mode is about right for hanging a bear bag or a fast descent at night. I found high not terribly practical, though it can be used to check for eyes in surround vegetation, or for spotting and planning a route up scree. I found that with a general sort of mixed use during the fall (some night hiking, nightly "plant watering" trips, and lots of cooking), I would get about four-five days from one cell. I probably spent about 60% of the time on low, 30% on medium, and 10% on high. During the winter cold I generally had much worse runtime, though this could be partly attributed to the fact that daytime is much shorter, and I spent several nights hiking in some pretty severe blizzards during which I usually ran it at high to make sure I didn't walk over a cornice. I would generally have to change out to a new cell every two days. Cold is probably the most limiting factor though.

In conclusion, I would seriously recommend the FourSevens Mini-ML as solid backpacking light, as it offers (in my opinion) a superb balance between weight, outputs, runtimes, and even costs. A better light probably exists, but for someone trying to stick to a slimmer budget, it's an excellent choice. Best of luck on your trip!

P.S. I stumbled across these CR123 cell holders in my searches for the right light, I found them perfect for keeping my cells organized without adding too much weight to a system. I keep fresh cells positive terminal down, and drained ones positive terminal up, a quick and easy way to make sure you don't swap out a drained cell for another drained cell, especially when you're fumbling at night trying to swap out batteries without a light.

Storeacell SlimLine CR123 |CR123 Battery Holder

Link deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

newdeathscope

Newly Enlightened
I just got a 4 sevens quark tactical QTA for Christmas. I love it. Thanks to everyone for their help.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is an old thread. But I couldn't help but notice that there's not so much as a peep about the Zebralight SC52. If you want a small, ultralightweight light with LOTS of modes, a floody output that still has a defined hotspot, and battery versatility, I just can't think of a better light out there. Plus, it's available in cool white, neutral, and high CRI flavor so that you can get the tint you like. Also, get a couple of good 14500s (like the Sanyo UR14500), an Xtar MC0/MC1, and a small solar panel so that you won't have to worry about running out of batteries.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cold weather reliability with a Nitrolon body for comfort - Surefire G2X Pro ( CR123 ) 4.4 OZ or 124 Grams - $63.00

Cold weather lightweight headlamp Petzel Zipka with Lithium AAA barteries 2.39 OZ or 68 Grams. $30.00

Excluding extra cells Thats a combined runtime of 45 Hrs @ 15 lumens on Low for the G2X & 180 Hrs of runtime @ 20 Lumens For the Zipka

( G2X 320 Lumens on High 2.75 Hrs X Zipka 80 Lumens on High 120 Hrs

Total cost - $93.00

Total weight - 6.77 OZ or 192 Grams

Total low output runtime excluding spare cells - 225 Hrs

Last edited: